Hi

chinookflyer

Hi from Cairns in Far North Queensland. I have been away from flying for a couple of years by have just renewed my RAA Pilot certificate with Ron Watson from Innisfail. I am now doing a bit of flying with him in his Jabiru. I am hoping to buy an aircraft in the next few few weeks - maybe a Thruster. In the past I have owned a Piper Cherokee and a Chinook Wt11. It is really great to be back flying. This is a fantastic site - w3ell done to all those involved. I would be happy to hear from any fellow RAA pilots in the Cairns area. Regards Scott

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Scott,

Great to see another RAA pilot in the Cairns area,I`m just down the road a bit at Deeral 45k south of Cairns.

I got into flying 23 years ago by building a copy of the Chinook WT2,It served me well.

I hope we get to see each other.

Cheers,

Frank.

Welcome to the forums Scott. I began my flying with Ron just over a year ago and recently completed my passenger endorsement. Innisfail is a great location to fly out of and FNQ provides endless opportunities to 'see the sites'. I'm based out of Cairns and look forward to catching up at some point in time.

Regards, Mathew

Unfortunately no aircraft as yet. I'm waiting for Ron to sell his Jabiru, but I suspect even then it would be a pipedream. A friend of mine in Chinchilla has ordered a Skyranger and I'm keen to see how this comes together, especially after I convinced him to have a look at this aircraft in the first place.

Cheers, Mathew

Hi Scott and welcome.

Like you and Mathew I trained on Ron's UL-D. It's a great little plane, and the location is hard to beat.

I'm trying to get some experience in other aircraft to see what to do next. I went for a fly in a J160 yesterday around the Camden area with MozartMerv - great fun, but a completely different kettle of fish to FNQ!

Say G'day to Ron,

Keith

Enjoy the coffee mate - and watch out for rotor coming off the hill on approach.

Will have to have another couple of goes at the 160 before shooting my mouth off as an inexperienced flyer ... but those longer wings of the UL-D in humid, hot conditions of the north look like a good idea. Catch you up there sometime for a yarn!

Keith

Did not get to Dunk

Hi Keith

I just got back from flying with Ron. Lots of rain to the south of Innisfail so we did not get down to Dunk. So I did some low level flying for my low level endorsement - great fun. I remembered you to Ron. He says hello.

I know all about the rotor on Dunk. I took my Piper Cherokee 160 over there a few years ago. The wind sock at the resort end of the run way gets caught by the rotor and gives a false indication. I ended up doing a downwind take off on a very hot day (and short run way). Just managed to get her off before the fence. Not nice! I was told when I got back to Cairns that you should use the wind sock at the other end of the run way.

All the best

Scott

Good to hear that you still had fun despite the lack of caffine Scott.

The turning circle you can get on the UL-D in the low level work is pretty good, isn't it? I reckon you could just about fly the perimeter of a quarter acre block!

Cheers,

Keith