Here's a Nice first solo video to entice other kids to do the same.

The aviation experience has only been available (powered Flight) for a bit over 100 years so only a small % of people in history have had it. It always pays to remember that. It's not easy when you are doing a flight in Lousy weather in the middle of the night for the banks or such but all that aside it's something quite different . I'd sometimes say to my CM2 as the sun comes up and you have popped out of a cloud on climb . "Julius Ceasar never had a chariot like THIS". . Probably thinks I'm NUTS. but who cares? Nev

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

She was certianly more analy retentive than I, when I did my first legal powered aircraft solo in a C-150 at Berwick in 1971,. . . . When the instructor got out of the cockpit I was petrified. . . and made a bit of a pig's ear of the circuit. . but I was forgiven. That is what I liked about Australian Flying instructors. . . . Especially Mine, Mr. Alan Basket Sir. I found this with most of the Aussie instructors who put up with me. . . . Especially with my later Instrument rating flight training. . .( Much Later- some of it with Alan as well ) how I ever got thru that, I'll never know. I'm glad that I did it at a youthful age anyhow. . . .

Good advert, which it was. Ikarus. An old aviation name connection. ? Nev

The Ikarus C-42 is a German design, and very popular wIth training organizations n the UK. I fInd the cockpit a bit 'Tight' (being a Phat Barstard), and I really do not like AIRCRAFT WHICH HAVE A CENTRAL STICK, OK, I used to like the Victa 115, which had a central control column with 'D' type control handle, but I only used to fly that for aeros. . which it was quite fun at. I preferred the Aerosubaru Fuji FA-200 / 180 for Aeros as it had dual controls,. . and I didn't manage to break the wings off it while messing about. . .but that's another story.

A very nice wealthy chap used to let me fly his Pitts S1, (after I had ferried him and his family to Phillip Island one day in my borrowed Cherokee six, ) . . . now THAT was an aerobatic wonderfluff with every landing a terrifying Adventure. . .. the silly bugger let me fly it with NO previous,. . but I got the hang of it with some decent briefings . . and around twenty five circuits at Moorabbin. . . . ( Don't ever DO that,. . take a LOT of lessons in an S2 first. . . )

There are some Nice, stable training aircraft available to us nowadays,. .. None of them are actully completely SAFE,. . but with the right instruction,. . they can be made thus.