23 January 2020 Fire closed Canberra Airport

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-22/fire-burns-just-south-of-canberra-airport/11891428

First thing, the airport was open on 24th January and its a relatively smoke free normal day.

Its a very long article but basically this grass fire that started near Oaks Estate in 22nd January got a bit out of hand. The wind changed a bit and the second fire was burning up against the fence of the local business park. This business park is adjacent to the airport. So of course the fire bombers, aviation rescue fire fighting appliances and the local metro fire brigade got in and fought it. Because there was smoke and crap in the air, bombers flying low across the airport and people running around on the ground the airport needed to be closed for a while. A "shelter in place" alert was issued.

Meanwhile, in the business park, total pandemonium.

I just came off a disaster recovery exercise that modelled this exact scenario and still, someone got stuck in a lift. Other stories are coming out but they are not for here.

Unbelievable. We are not prepared.

• Informative 1

...Unbelievable. We are not prepared.

Sadly, I don't find that at all unbelievable. This country has a long tradition of not being ready, of ignoring the careful analysis of past disasters. How many inquiries have been held and how many recommendations have been ignored?

I spent most of last night attending to flood events (three days after a dust storm) and it was obvious that few people have learned from past experience. Short memories.