701 bubble doors, interchangeable with VG

Ultralights

In the UK there was an incident where a Zenith bubble door detached in flight and damaged the tail.

Investigation showed it was caused by the curved shape generating enough lift to overcome the latches.

I will try and find the report and post it.

In the UK there was an incident where a Zenith bubble door detached in flight and damaged the tail.Investigation showed it was caused by the curved shape generating enough lift to overcome the latches.

I will try and find the report and post it.

There was a rash of reports from the US too. On the Zenith.aero site there were some conversations about it, from purely anecdotal evidence at least 3 or 4 over there had either partially or fully lost doors in flight. Nothing that a good multi-point latch won't fix.

There was a rash of reports from the US too. On the Zenith.aero site there were some conversations about it, from purely anecdotal evidence at least 3 or 4 over there had either partially or fully lost doors in flight. Nothing that a good multi-point latch won't fix.

I am pretty confident that Reg Brost's multipoint latches would be pretty adaptable to ensure the 701's doors don't 'depart' in flight: http://www.aerokits.net.au/prod02.htm

i am aware of the bubble door issues, but were they with a 3 point latching system? or the original single point? dont forget, the doors on the SavannahVG are already bubbled out to some degree.

Not sure. I went back to the zenith.aero site but can't locate those forum posts now. If the original Zenith bubble door was a single point latch that could have been the problem and as Allan said they have a 3 point system - maybe they changed after those incidents?

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I can answer it from experience now... NO... Sav VG doors do NOT fit the 701.

701 doors are a different shape and slightly smaller.  I ended up fabricating pretty much everything and using the perforated top-hat profile stiffening from the Sav doors (cut down) to make the framework.