A Better Motor Is the First Step Towards Electric Planes

onetrack

Hi Folks - Below is an interesting article on electric motor development for aircraft, by the Magnix company, from "Wired" magazine.

On the same page is a fascinating video about the mind-boggling Stratolaunch space rocket launch aircraft - and if you get to the end of that - a video about the new Gravity Jet Suit development!  012_thumb_up.gif.83e1b5422694a022eec36e1e8343f687.gif

https://www.wired.com/story/magnix-electric-plane-motor/

• Like 1

How about having a motor  in every wheel of road vehicles. No silly drive train to fail .Electro regenerative brakes brakes on each wheel. Motors can be lighter than a "conventional" brake disc set up.  Nev

• Like 2

Electric engines certainly are a very bright future for transporting us feeble humans. They are also damn fast and have huge torque. 

Friends laughed 20 years ago when I said man will fly electric and their use in cars would be common in 20 years. It was obvious when you understand the technology. 

I'm looking forward to something driving the fan up front that doesn't vibrate, has a huge amount of torque from rest, and which is highly efficient as it turns all its inputted energy into constant rotary motion with no reversing moments - and which doesn't lose 60% of its inputted energy to heat loss. Oh, and the silence is just a bonus.

• Like 1

How about having a motor  in every wheel of road vehicles. No silly drive train to fail .Electro regenerative brakes brakes on each wheel. Motors can be lighter than a "conventional" brake disc set up.  Nev

That's always been the plan, long term because of electric's ability to produce maximum torque from zero, but the problem is getting a battery design break through, which from my memory, the industry has been waiting for since the 1970s.

The reason is, on a motor vehicle, if we do use maximum torque, the battery drain is huge, affecting range too much.

I guess we'll be able to add an electronic noise generator to make our silent plane sound like a Merlin or big round engine...

In the RC electric aircraft used for racing the sound is magnificent, much like the Formula Ones before the recent engine change.