Having trouble transmitting on my phone while airborne at cruise , new Zulu and new iPhone 8 hard wired through the jack , l can hear clear but the other end is just noise ,is the racket coming off the engine , Rotax, playing havoc with the voice activated mic

Having trouble transmitting on my phone while airborne at cruise , new Zulu and new iPhone 8 hard wired through the jack , l can hear clear but the other end is just noise ,is the racket coming off the engine , Rotax, playing havoc with the voice activated mic

Maybe try the Bluetooth, I have a Sierra and samsung5, works great in the musketeer a very noisy aircraft. The cable could be acting like a antenna.

Maybe try the Bluetooth, I have a Sierra and samsung5, works great in the musketeer a very noisy aircraft. The cable could be acting like a antenna.

Yep have tried the Bluetooth, no difference

You may have way too much gain on the mic in the litespeed. Under the mic muff there is a plastic cap you pop that off and can adjust the mic gain. I have found so far that most of the Litespeeds are set too high. This will cause massive noise pickup through the mic. Adjust it to the opposite end of the potentiometer range then readjust your radio mic input gain and also on the phone. You need to get the mic gain in the mic lower

You may have way too much gain on the mic in the litespeed. Under the mic muff there is a plastic cap you pop that off and can adjust the mic gain. I have found so far that most of the Litespeeds are set too high. This will cause massive noise pickup through the mic. Adjust it to the opposite end of the potentiometer range then readjust your radio mic input gain and also on the phone. You need to get the mic gain in the mic lower

Thanks for that, I fly with a few mates and they don’t have the same problem, on the ground it works fine but up at speed hopeless, where is the radio mic input gain and there is a setting on the phone?

My knuckles still drag on the ground - I just put my phone on loudspeaker , place it on right ear, head set holds it in place - I can hear them and by some miracle they can hear me - all you techies must be having a fit.

• Like 2

My knuckles still drag on the ground - I just put my phone on loudspeaker , place it on right ear, head set holds it in place - I can hear them and by some miracle they can hear me - all you techies must be having a fit.

That's been my solution, Skip. Not very effective though. I was keen on investing in a Bluetooth setup, but decided to keep it simple. Apple earbuds won't stay in place under my headset, so I had them cast into a pair of molded earplugs. They will fit inside my Dave Clarks, into which I've installing an ANR kit.

Will have to wait a couple of months till I can try them out.

rhtrudder

The radio should have a mic input gain control in the setup section of it unless it is a very old radio. The phone should have one as well for your external input. The key is to use and adjust the headset mic gain while listening say n another radio..just go to a free channel and try it. Basically you want to adjust the gain on the mic in the headset as low as you can and so far it seems on the litespeeds they need to be turned almost all the way down this way you dont pickup the cabon/motor noise from inside the cockpit.

rhtrudder

The radio should have a mic input gain control in the setup section of it unless it is a very old radio. The phone should have one as well for your external input. The key is to use and adjust the headset mic gain while listening say n another radio..just go to a free channel and try it. Basically you want to adjust the gain on the mic in the headset as low as you can and so far it seems on the litespeeds they need to be turned almost all the way down this way you dont pickup the cabon/motor noise from inside the cockpit.

Thanks, figured it out sort of , turned the gain on the headset all the way down , while waiting for the engine to warm up, took a phone call and it worked, went flying, rang home no good , l guess the engine is still drowning my voice, that was through the hardwire so l might try the Bluetooth , l should be able to turn the radio off and it should still work just through the headset l think or unplug it .

l should be able to turn the radio off and it should still work just through the headset l think or unplug it .

The headset has to be plugged in to power the Mic for phone calls. I don't think high background noise is your problem, I called home from the 1963 musketeer (almost zero sound insulation) and left a message, listened to the message later and could not believe how quiet the aircraft sounded. Lightspeed Sierra/ samsung5. Is the headset working well on the intercom?

Sorry I don’t have a solution for you but I have a Zulu (not sure what version) that I Bluetooth to my iPhone Xs and talk away happily with a 912 on full noise in my Flysynthesis Storch. I have even successfully FaceTimed my son so he could see what was going on. Have made a phone call with a passenger in the plane and they could hear me but not the phone call (as expected). Have a microair PM501 intercom. I sometimes have had a problem with a plugged in headset (dodgy connection I think) that the phone uses it's own microphone rather than the headset mic which gives crappy audio to the other end. As I Bluetooth in the plane this has never been a problem. Bluetooth also gives me tunes while I fly. ??

I have Zulu 3, iPhone 8, Xcom intercom, have discovered you can set phone to headsets, worked unplugged inside ok ,don’t know if this will make any difference in the plane, l can receive clearly but my transmission is just static,

I have Zulu 3, iPhone 8, Xcom intercom, have discovered you can set phone to headsets, worked unplugged inside ok ,don’t know if this will make any difference in the plane, l can receive clearly but my transmission is just static,

It worked in the plane so all good , just needed to set the phone up

• Like 1