A good result!

Hi folks

These days in aviation can be pretty bleak but then once in a while something quite unexpected comes along to pleasantly surprise us. I had a bit of a win myself today.

As some of you may know I’ve been struggling to get my own airstrip in commission. I’m actually pretty much there but haven’t had time to raise my windsock ( I’m just itching to do it! ) and because final grading and rolling was done in dry conditions, the surface is still a touch dusty.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago some nice bloke at Tindal RAAF camp gave me a call and said ‘Hey Alan, we got xxx gaziilion bucks to renovate the camp, and so are replacing all our runway markers.... Our old runway gables are going to the dump. Do you want them out at your place?’

Does Alan want the runway gables from RAAF Tindal? ?

Unfortunately the COVID 19 lockdown delayed our transaction, but today I ran into town and collected the old gable markers from Tindal ( well only about a third of them), my strip is admittedly a bit smaller than theirs!

So, this arvo the dog and I threw them out on the strip. How cool is that? Great to keep a little bit of aviation heritage alive in the Top End! Any passing aviator from now on will be getting the whole story with their cup of coffee and muffin.

A huge thank you to the RAAF blokes who helped me out today!

Cheers

Alan.

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 11

A photo of your strip complete with RAAF gable markers & cones (did they give you any of these?) windsock etc from the air would be nice.