A riveting weekend

Unless it is a bi-plane one right wing will probrably be enough. There sure are right wings and left wings, If you built two right wings, when you went to bolt them on you would have a right wing and a wrong wing!

• Haha 3

Ha ha!! Yes the left wing was finished about 6 months ago and it's on the other side of the fuselage frame and the fuselage frame is all pinned together. I have the wheels and the motor is on its way.

image.jpg.0945fda57933c782fdc5ed5cb2cfeef3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's a scratch build of a prototype eighty knots and I'm not up to date with the terminology such as starboard & port guys. So if someone wants to let me know the right way to describe stuff I'm happy to receive that knowledge. By the way I'm a "she". It is also the first time I have built anything although I've flown a few different types of planes.

It's a scratch build of a prototype eighty knots and I'm not up to date with the terminology such as starboard & port guys. So if someone wants to let me know the right way to describe stuff I'm happy to receive that knowledge. By the way I'm a "she". It is also the first time I have built anything although I've flown a few different types of planes.

Port has four letters, as does left - this works for me (one, two, three, four, lots... 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif)

Port wing, left wing, left hand lifting surface, that wing there... working with aeronautical engineers - and as one, if out of Qld - all these terms are correct...

Congrats on actually getting the metal together, it's taken me decades to not start building my own!

• Like 1

Thanks - now I know the port wing & flaperon I completed in December & the starboard wing is now riveted and I began the starboard flaperon last Monday night.

• Like 1

Hi Planet 47: it's great to hear of another plane builder! I hope it all goes well.

039_private_eyes.gif.ee730e198261239d6248af84b953d95f.gif (I have just consulted my Milky Way street directory and I don't seem to be able to locate Planet 47) 039_private_eyes.gif.ee730e198261239d6248af84b953d95f.gif

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Not got that far yet but I am wondering if I should collect the "empties" or just sweep them under the carpet? As I was riveting away on the fin and rudder, I was wondering if it would be any advantage to fill the holes left in the rivet head before painting? Just a thought

Ha ha! I collected them for a couple of reasons

* it saved having to vacuum and/or sweep them up

* as I was under the fuselage it also saved me from laying on them & puncturing my own skin

After doing a few thousand I've learned the carpet trick really doesn't work

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I got this many, then started binning them when I realised I didn't actually need a model of the Eiffel Tower...or something...

But it's a nice thing, quietly sweeping the floor at the end of a session, ready for the next...)

DSCF1123.JPG.8563e1afcfb8be8253fb089ee00a4815.JPG