A totally different aircraft: the recreational aviation of the future?

eightyknots

OK for a non people carrying plane, but there is so much that could go wrong that I would not consider flying in one big enough for people

But also a lot of potential for better redundancies than we are used to with single engine ops.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

I think getting away from the expensive, time life limited, very dangerous if money not dumped on it, drivetrain from head through tailrotor is positive. Tilt rotor is also complex, expensive, and unsafe, however. Unless we panic, it is very difficult to kill ourselves in a little airplane. Helicopters can kill us in a thousand ways. A simple blade strike can kill many in the helicopter and on the ground. Helicopters don't just crash. They crash and then beat themselves to a pulp.

• Agree 2

Thanks for reminding me Contact. ...I had tried to forget that fkr 5 minutes....lol

Respect....it is respect.....You better respect the machine and mother nature.

You are merely the pilot.

Think you are so damn good of a helo pilot that you cannot crash. Then you will.

I have met cocky pilots in the past.

They are now 6 feet under.

I know I am a mere 190 pounds of insignificant nothing.

The weather and the machine, are way more powerful than me.

So far anything I have seen written on larger craft rules them out on controllability. They could not rival a conventional on L/D figures either I would reckon, but you have hover back and forwards etc. I/m skeptical. Nev

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anything from the Sprague clutch to the Jesus nut, the drive train, can kill you quickly if not changed out while still quite new. Now add the weight and complexity of a swing into place mast, swashplate, head, and roter system. I don't see any company insuring it. It will be very expensive and very dangerous.

• Like 1

Anything from the Sprague clutch to the Jesus nut, the drive train, can kill you quickly if not changed out while still quite new. Now add the weight and complexity of a swing into place mast, swashplate, head, and roter system. I don't see any company insuring it. It will be very expensive and very dangerous.

That's what preflight checks and regular servicinng are about. Are helicopters any less complicated. They all incorporate jesus nuts etc.

They don't drive along roads and park near cars, that may be parked carelessly. Yes Helicopters are complicated and need good servicing but these are another step in complication and in a different environment 1/2 the time. Nev

I am not sure I would want to travel down a freeway at 120 km/h in a three wheeler. I also think that this may be hard to insure. My prediction is that QBE or NRMA won't touch it with a six foot barge pole.

Rick H so the helicopters were driving down the road and collided with the cars, in the scenes you link to. The helicopters I've seen taxi at airports rather awkwardly, and with great skill, rather than drive ANYWHERE.. Once they are mixing it with moving cars its another new concept of hangar rash on steroids Nev

Rick H so the helicopters were driving down the road and collided with the cars, in the scenes you link to. The helicopters I've seen taxi at airports rather awkwardly, and with great skill, rather than drive ANYWHERE.. Once they are mixing it with moving cars its another new concept of hangar rash on steroids Nev

Nev You seem offended that I have acknowledged your rightousness.

I thought you might have employed a bit of sarcasm, but I don't think the car-helicopter could be very safe, because of what I have pointed out about the environment they would be in. That's my view and others may have a different one, which is fair enough. It's hard these days to build a car that complies with the rules applying to the road, (which that one wouldn't get even slightly close to. Crumple zones etc) and then make it fly satisfactorily as a helicopter as well. Righteousness is" a state of moral perfection required by God to enter heaven". I doubt it applies to me in any sense.

I did a "compilation" of Helicopter accidents/incidents in the early seventies. I forget the exact figure but there were over 30% of the total registered written off during that year, in Australia. I know some people love them, but they require very good maintenance, many with multiples of hours flown to perform and they are never cheap. If the designer gets the product into the market, fine. Realistically I can't see it happening, and I have given my reasons why I think that way. Nev

I thought you might have employed a bit of sarcasm, but I don't think the car-helicopter could be very safe, because of what I have pointed out about the environment they would be in. That's my view and others may have a different one, which is fair enough. It's hard these days to build a car that complies with the rules applying to the road, (which that one wouldn't get even slightly close to. Crumple zones etc) and then make it fly satisfactorily as a helicopter as well. Righteousness is" a state of moral perfection required by God to enter heaven". I doubt it applies to me in any sense.I did a "compilation" of Helicopter accidents/incidents in the early seventies. I forget the exact figure but there were over 30% of the total registered written off during that year, in Australia. I know some people love them, but they require very good maintenance, many with multiples of hours flown to perform and they are never cheap. If the designer gets the product into the market, fine. Realistically I can't see it happening, and I have given my reasons why I think that way. Nev

The Designer has got it into market. So so I guess that realistically it has happened and I guess your reasons are wrong. I go back to my first couple of posts and reiterate quote " that's what pre-flights are all about". I did not say "Post Woolworths" in the end the aircraft is only as safe as the the people maintaining and flying them. I have spent many hours maintaining Helicopters and I seriously doubt the 30%figure. In 74 the army had 37 Bell 206 operateing and I forget the number of Souixs the Airforce had a s--t load more choppers all with both military and civilian rego.I do not recall a single incident in that year although in 76 I think we did have two due to pilot error, and just in case you doubt my credentials attached is one of the very first trade certs I ever attained. And the photo in case you are not familiar with them is a gyrocopter there is a difference. Your Ball.

IMG_0001.pdf

IMG_0001.pdf

IMG_0001.pdf

Not interested in a fight . It made it clear it is my opinion. The stats I quoted. I had no axe to grind. I was assigned the job. and did the research. I don't make a habit of lying. Of course I know the difference between a gyrocopter and a helicopter. . Nev