ADS-B receivers

I’m a happy OzRunways user and their recent email to users promoted integrating an ADS-B receiver.

I’d be interested in anyone’s experience with this...effectiveness etc.

I'm using a raspberry pi with OzRunways and it's really good.

Rasberry Pi ADS-B receiver experiences?

The only comment I have is in the way OzRunways displays traffic might be improved/clarified or prioritised. I was desperately looking out the window for an A/C the other day until i realised that he was actually at FL17. I suppose because I don't deal with FL altitudes it took my brain an extra moment to calculate what the separation really was.

Currently you can't tell the difference on the OzRunways map between another OzRunways user and a proper ADS-B source, and while you want to see low down IFR, or a police helicopter, and other ADB-B compliant GA stuff. An airliner doing 350kn at FL30 is a bit of a distraction - a false positive when you are keeping an eye out for traffic that might be of concern.

One that i made using the ADSB pi link that was available on the Ozrunways site, although I used a Gen 3 Raspberry Pi and didn't have to buy the wifi portion.

I am not sure that the link exists anymore, at the time I saved it to my hard drive for later use, which I used when the time came to put it all together.

I am planning to change the card to a stratux version and introducing traffic into my MGL EFIS at some stage as well.

On mine the Oz traffic is light blue and the ADSB traffic (From Raspberry pi) is dark blue

I'll have to check that. Maybe I am blue-blue colour blind. (Don't tell CASA)

I dont think I can add that to my Xtreme you must have a later EFIS

I had the old image but somehow have managed to lose it so I did the latest Straux...there is a issue though with Ozrunways dropping the sim card data when the wifi from Stratux comes in you have to set the wifi manually then it works

No Internet Access / OzRunways Traffic when ADS-B Receiver Connected / Troubleshooting / Knowledge Base - OzRunways Support

• 8 months later...

Kyle

A bit late in the reply but the stratux works a treat on both ozrunways and the iEfis.

If you use the stratux you have to have the premium ozrunways, but if you use the adsbpi version it works on the standard licence in Ozrunways.

Mike

Hi

Be aware of how you interpret traffic on EFBs. I use a flightbox adsb receiver with avplan.

Great for an added input for situational awareness, but reported altitude and latency can cause confusion.

Adsb targets recieved  direct from a receiver or via being rebroadcast by the EFB provider have altitudes referenced to 1013mb. This means you need to add 30ft per mb difference if your local qnh is greater than 1013, or subtract if it is less.

Targets recieved from avplan traffic live (same with ozrunways?) use gps altitude and therefore are closer to your qnh adjusted pressure altitude. In summary, be careful not to place too much precision on the reported altitude.

Latency from adsb targets recieved direct from a receiver are the lowest; those from rebroadcast adsb or avplan live are the highest and highly variable. Tens of seconds or even a minute is not uncommon.

My suggestion is as soon as you deduce a target is potentially a problem don’t wait too long before you act. Either get on the radio or take early evasive action.

Franky

• Informative 1

Franky

I had assumed this was accounted for as ozrunways only gives a relative altitude difference, referenced to your current level.

Bit if a trap if it isn't.

Mike

An overdue discussion. There are still several different traffic awareness systems, but they don't talk to each other.

If CASA, with all its taxpayer funding, was fair dinkum about safety, they'd give every aeroplane a standard unit that is compatible with all others. (But isn't that what was proposed when they were phasing out primary radars?).

Unfortunately, if CASA was put in charge of implementing a standardised traffic awareness system it would be complex, require mobs of regular maintenance and be too costly for most aviators.

Perhaps it would be better if they encouraged our go-ahead EFB firms to come up with an inexpensive and compatible system.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would be interested to know if ozrunways takes into account adsb altitude referenced to 1013mb.

If so, it would need to know the local qnh, where would this come from?

Avplan can look up the nearest airport with a qnh and display that ( not used to adjust target altitude)

Needs internet access though - not always available.

Franky

It is great tool to add to your situational awareness tools, along with eyeballs and radio.

In the past 18months I have had a dozen or so occurrences where without adsb in I was completely unaware of nearby and potentially conflicting traffic, especially on designated vfr routes. Even when I knew exactly where to look on occasion I have not sighted the aircraft. It is amazing how many aircraft do not fly at hemispherical levels or on the wrong side or an air route.

Also very useful when around airports with commercial traffic which almost always have adsb out.

I wouldn’t  fly without it; just take care of its limitations and use it as a supplement.

Franky

• Like 2

Having thought about it a little more I suspect that the levels and latency aren't as big a problem as first thought, I have seen double paints where there is an OZ icon and an ADSB icon for the same aircraft. The paints are all but overlaid on each other and the altitude differences are negligible. 

Doesn't mean that they will always match though.

Mike

... I have seen double paints where there is an OZ icon and an ADSB icon for the same aircraft...

Double paints are also a problem when one pilot carries another as passenger, who fires up own his iPad, which sends out his own aircraft's ID...

Has caused a bit of confusion during group trips.

Double paints are also a problem when one pilot carries another as passenger, who fires up own his iPad, which sends out his own aircraft's ID...

Has caused a bit of confusion during group trips.

That's the one problem with not being able to turn off your position in Ozrunways, and still receive other aircraft positions. I do, however, understand why they require it.

Kyle

A bit late in the reply but the stratux works a treat on both ozrunways and the iEfis.

If you use the stratux you have to have the premium ozrunways, but if you use the adsbpi version it works on the standard licence in Ozrunways.

Mike

Ozrunways had a issue at the time with all ADSB external inputs. They fixed it. I have the std VFR package and the stratux works with it. I am still chasing the ADSBpi for the original Pi not the model 3 version thats around now. I have a mate that has the old Pi and wants to get it running the code for the model3 apparently doesnt work with it

Kyle

Didn't know that Stratux works on standard licence, it may just be the AHRS functionality that requires the premium then. (I fitted a GPS chip and AHRS to mine to see how it went, the GPS is great, the AHRS not so much - has a lot of drift)

I went back through my saved files, unfortunately I only have the Pi3 version saved. Might need to find someone with an old working version to clone. 

Mike