When to go around... or do 5 landing at once!

Guest TOSGcentral

LOL! You have to be really trying to bounce a nosewheel aircraft - this guy is obviously a natural achiever!

Imagine what he could do with a taildragger! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Bouncing Tri-gear

Pretty unhappy thing to happen to an aeroplane. After the first skip the A/C could have been held off (flared onto the ground) easily, as there appears to be enough runway remaining. Once the nosewheel contacts the ground fairly firmly, with the mains nowhere near it, the resultant pitch-up is considerable & apparently uncorrected, the successive nosewheel contacts are even heavier. This is not an unknown phenomena, and has been responsible for severe damage to some Mooneys and possibly others.

The Fix ... Land on the rear wheels.. obviously to do this you have to be slower. N...

The secret is to bring the aircraft down to ground level, then try to float to the other end of the strip, DON'T LET IT LAND!

The aeroplane will do the rest.

Guest Prometheus

If I can't get it down nicely on the first attempt I go around.

On a recent flight (a week or so ago) the wind swung around whilst I was on final, and with the resulting tail wind I hovered above the runway for at least 50m. At that point, full power & flaps up... ".... going around". Needless to say I changed circuit direction after doing an "All Stations" broadcast to inform of new runway in use.

Going round.

I'm sure nobody's going to argue with that action. My view is ,if there is any doubt --Go round-- don't worry what others might say. A late go-round requires a fair bit of skill in some situations.( gusty cross winds ) so don't fly in conditions that are beyond what you are current to cope with. ( training & recency ).

Getting back to the original video, quite obviously the elevators are inoperable, or as has been suggested, the pilot has frozen on the controls. Most likely the first, in which case ,without ground spoilers, landing with pitch trim only would be difficult. N...

Guest holmsy2000

i would say his problem started the moment he balloned, you often see students do that, they baloon then push forward to recover which puts the nose in which causes a bounce and then it just keeps happening.

very suprising to see it from such a large plane, you would expect the piot to be experienced enough to recover after the first one.

brett

Real Men Don't Go-Round !

This thread is on www.pprune.org check either the D&G forums or the main airline forum.

Whilst it refers specifically to the GA-200 accident at Jogjakarta, there's a lesson in it for everyone.

The wind does change, and we can get distracted on approach - but it's no loss of face, at least in Australia, to go-round.

happy days,