Severe storms-Newcastle/Hunter Region

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Gosh, you folks are getting a hiding up there today! I just looked at the Newcastle radar and alot of it is black. Must be some severe hail in there. Reports of some golf ball sized hail around near The Oaks/Camden area this morning. Hopefully no damage.

Warning current:

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology

New South Wales

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - SYDNEY/NEWCASTLE/WOLLONGONG REGION

for LARGE HAILSTONES and DAMAGING WIND

For people in parts of the

Greater Newcastle and

Maitland/Cessnock areas.

Issued at 1:11 pm Friday, 12 October 2007.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 1:10 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Newcastle City, Maitland, Wallsend and Beresfield. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to southeast. They are forecast to affect Raymond Terrace, Williamtown, Salt Ash and Morpeth by 1:40 pm and Anna Bay and Bobs Farm by 2:10 pm.

Large hailstones and damaging winds are likely.

Golf ball sized hail was reported near Camden Airport at 10 am.

2 cm hail was reported at Heathcote at about 10:20 am.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:

* Move your car under cover or away from trees.

* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.

* Keep clear of fallen power lines.

* Unplug computers and appliances.

* Avoid using the phone during the storm.

* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.

* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 2:10 pm.

A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the MID NORTH COAST, HUNTER and parts of the NORTHERN TABLELANDS and NORTH WEST SLOPES districts.

Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at http://www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.

Looked impressive, but apparently was just a malfunction.

They have posted this:

Please be aware that the Newcastle (Lemon Tree Passage) radar is currently over-reading. The radar continues to provide useful information about the location of thunderstorms but the storms are not as intense as depicted. A technician will visit the radar once the current weather has cleared.

Guest David C
Reports of some golf ball sized hail around near The Oaks/Camden area this morning. Hopefully no damage.

There was Darren ...I think it all fell on my little car . It looks as if it has been hit by about 200 wayward golf balls . :;)1:.. Oh well looks like another trip to the smash repairers again on Monday . We are getting to know each other quite well lately , not QBE's most favourite customer just lately ..

Dave C

Guest Fred Bear
Looked impressive, but apparently was just a malfunction.They have posted this:

Please be aware that the Newcastle (Lemon Tree Passage) radar is currently over-reading. The radar continues to provide useful information about the location of thunderstorms but the storms are not as intense as depicted. A technician will visit the radar once the current weather has cleared.

I was not sure Ross. I have seen it this intense with storms in Sydney in the past. Must have sent their tech out when all the lightning subsided. Yeah, fried techs are usually useless. Ross, the funny thing was it was there at the top of the screen. I did not see it as I was too busy looking at what I thought were massive cells.

Dave C:

There was Darren ...I think it all fell on my little car . It looks as if it has been hit by about 200 wayward golf balls . :;)1:.. Oh well looks like another trip to the smash repairers again on Monday . We are getting to know each other quite well lately , not QBE's most favourite customer just lately .

Mate, you simply have no luck with that car of late. The bad part is it is never your fault!