Affordaplane - A-Plane

sseeker

Hi Everyone,

Anyone have any type of experience building/flying the 'A-Plane'? I'm extremely interested in building one as it seems like an appropriate build for someone with little aircraft building background but with an engineering background (Dad has!) to get started. It's a good price for someone starting out and as young as me - but then again you invest a good amount of money in an aircraft and the end product will be a safe and sexy aircraft! :big_grin:

I purchased the plans this afternoon, printed them and bound them into a book. I briefly read over the intro and getting started and it doesn't look overly mind boggling, my Dads work has a business account with an aluminium supplier in WA so I'll have to check if they have the correct grade tubing etc... Last off I can build it over time which should hopefully make the end result a lot more of a joy to fly. I'll have to take a good read of the RA-Aus Technical Manual on the running and maintenance of your own aircraft & do my research, but I thought I'd start here.

Anyone got any type of advice?

-Andrew

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andrew

I agree, its a great starter plane. I've gone over the plans and they are straight forward enough. Some parts are not very clear,but i expect they will reveal themselves in the build. i will be speaking to RA-Aus this week about submitting the plans for approval. I will keep you informed. My build will be slow as i don't really have the room, and my wife won't let me move the furniture!!

As far as legality is concerned, if the plans are approved and you don't deviate from them, then there should be no problem when you come to register it

Jonp

Hi Jonp,

I've been in touch with Steve Bell (Technical Manager) and he's told me what he needs in order to approve the aircrafts plans, I can't seem to find all the information but. He wants total registered A-Planes in the USA with estimated hours and any defect reports as well as all the aircraft specifications. I'll be preparing a PDF once I've got it all, so I'll upload it here for you to view once it's done. Would be great to exchange our info.

-Andrew

Jonp quoted approximately $3500 for the airframe and wing structure, this is without dacron, intruments and engine. Engine is a Rotax 447 by stock although you can use a 1/4 Volkswagen Aero Conversion and instruments are the standard as per RA-Aus technical manual and appropriate CAO.

I'd say $6000 completed.

-Andrew

EDIT: That's $6000 with a second hand engine. And it was a total guess.

Hi All,

Try this site it will give you a whole heap of information. The A-plane I flew in the USA three years ago had the 1/2 VW motor too. NO brakes, but that is another story?????

costed here in Australia without motor is about $4700.

Fuselage

Hi Icebob,

That website has a lot of useful information! Thanks for that. Most Thrusters don't have brakes either, I don't think you need brakes on something as slow as this.

-Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Normally no don't need brakes, on the flight they asked me when I landed to taxi to the hanger but forgot to warn me of the dip in the grass section, in frone of the hanger the aircraft ended in the hanger and i had worn out the shoes i was wearing, they said it was so funny to watch. I am sure there was smoke coming off my shoes too, ha, ha.

Bob.

Lol when I went for a flight in a Thruster my instructor said there was no brakes & my response was, "Well how do we stop?" he goes, "Slowly..." 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif I don't like it but it's not that hard to stop after all...

-Andrew

• Helpful 1

Andrew,

I found a web site with a number of builders on and e-mailed them, all came back undelivered, two others still waiting for response.

I am waiting for approval to join an a-plane forum site. There are a number of planes out there, but i'll bet they're not registered. Looks like the build is going to be easier than the data collection.

Icebob

Been to this website, i've emailed him and am awaiting response

Thanks for your interest.

Being an ex boat person i suggest a CQR anchor in the absence of brakes, probably wont stop you but you can do some ploughing in process!!

• Haha 1

Morning,

For everyones benefit, I have received the good news that the Affordaplane is an approved CAO 95.10 aircraft type.

Regards,

Andrew

• 4 months later...

I really love these real ultralights and would like to build one.....Here's my take on the subject...Although the afford-a-plane looks cute ,I much prefer the Airbike and the Legal eagle,,,have a look at them. I did a bit of searching and found that the "Airbike" (my Favourite) has become a victim of a law suit and maybe plans are not available. You can, however get a clone kit and various parts from "Jordan Lake Aero"...The "Legal Eagle" is a bit ugly, but very well tried and a great engine.....I also found the "Texas Parasol", it's been around for about 20 years. Similar construction to the A plane. But MUCH prettier (I think) plus plans (builders manual ) are on the net, free......Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Ergh! When I looked it up on Google (because the seller had no photos) it came up with something looking like the A-Plane http://www.ultralightflyer.com/javelin_ultralight_aircraft/images/javelin/javelin2.jpg - but after looking further into it last night I worked out it wasn't anything like it lol

-Andrew

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Gribble if you have the tools and workshop to build it in then yes it can probably be built for under 10k, you'd be getting a second hand Rotax though.

-Andrew

The tools wont be an issue. The workshop/mancave would be sufficient, but lets face it there is no such thing as big enough when it comes to a workshop.

And I understand it wont be a new rotax, or even a low hour one. I cant find much info on prices just by googling, might have to make some phone calls, anyone know a good reseller apart from Bert Flood?

Then there is the avionics, radio and other jazz. Ill keep doing some research to see what the components alone would cost. Fun and games.....

Then when you complete the project it'll all be worth it! The only avionics you'd want to put in this aeroplane is a radio and a handheld transceiver wired to an external aerial and some headset jacks will be suffecient. I'd personally only install the four primary instruments (ASI, ALT, Compass, Clock) - it's all you need to fly and the clock can be a watch on your wrist. You can even get second hand refurbished instruments. There's a guy on eBay (USA) that sells Rotax motors out of aircraft and snowmobiles, he has identical models to what you'd want in the A-Plane and they're totally refurbished. Rotax 447 with gearbox and no exhaust/carb for $1269 and has 124hrs TT (this one wasn't refurbished)

You can find excellent deals on just about anything on the web. Just have to remember that safety comes first and don't be so cheap that it will endanger your life and others.

-Andrew