Airfields with Mogas

Hi all,

I'm beginning to put a listing together of all airfield which have access to mogas on site, via bowser or drum, however I'm not having much luck searching online. ERSA is great for avgas but not forthcoming about Mogas.

Would really appreciate your help through posting any airfields you know of with Mogas available and any arrangements for its use. Btw, if this already exists in some form then would be great to share.

Once I get a bit of a list together happy to share.

Thanks

• Like 5

It's a good question. The primary source of information would be the ERSA but the MOGAS availability will come with qualifications like "by prior arrangement" and "from drums". If the data was in tabular format it would be easier to provide but it would be technically out of date in the next ERSA.

Clifton YCFN has MOGAS and this is in the ERSA.

• Agree 2

Never been to either Clifton or goolwa but truthfully been to hundreds of airfields round Australia in my twenty or so years of back county flying. I have to say have never ever seen mogas available at an airport. Unless you count specifically phoning a service station guy/fuel supplier and ask them to deliver a drum and even then they may not be allowed to do it. . But drum stock has plenty of problems associated with and we avoid it, if we can.

Equally don't think I have ever seen any mention of it in ersa either. But I guess now that there's an increasing number of LSA & RAAus type aircraft using it I guess it'll get more available but I doubt it will be universally available like avgas or jetA for a long time yet.

So while I don't disbelieve there will be a few around I suspect planning a tour around ready availability of it will be a bit hard.

• Agree 1

There are iOS in the US App Store such as X Wing Pro and others that are subscription based and interact with AHARS, ADS B, etc,etc. that have the available fuel at all the airports and the prices are updated by the users. You may have something similar Down Under in iOS or Android.

Hi, the following airfields in WA/SA have Mogas:

Busselton (through aero club)

White Gum Farm

Balladonia

Caiguna

Border Village

Nullarbor Roadhouse & Airstrip

Great idea with this, where will you have this info placed?

Hi, the following airfields in WA/SA have Mogas:Busselton (through aero club)

White Gum Farm

Balladonia

Caiguna

Border Village

Nullarbor Roadhouse & Airstrip

Great idea with this, where will you have this info placed?

I'll try to get this added to this website in the resources section but am also looking to create my own site and include it there. Might also add to the user notes in Ozrunways.

I'm wanting to start some sort of site containing all those tid bits of aviation related information that are often hard to find through 'regular' channels. Keep you all posted.

• 2 weeks later...
Ozrunways claims to have a fuel price overlay but I have no need for it and no idea how to activate it

If you tap on the three dot tab along the left side of the screen border, that will bring the map filter out. If you then click on the circle (Airports) or the dotted circle (Aerodromes) a further tab comes out with a fuel bowser. Click that and fuel prices are turned on. If you click on an airport with a price listed, you get further information.

• Informative 2

• 2 months later...

hello, yes, this is a brilliant idea and I was about to start a thread like this and then discovered yours. I am currently planning a cross-country from Canberra to Uluru and back and I am gobsmacked, that there seems to be no listing of airfields with mogas availability. It is not only the price it is also that those Rotax engines don't particularly like the lead and other stuff in Avgas 100LL. So our community is in desperate need of some sort of map, map overlay or at least list of airfields with Mogas, be it from a drum or a bowser. Our LSA aircraft are certainly capable of long x-country flights, but we need fuel :) @Jay_1984, let me know how I can help!

Related question

Is it better to put fresh 100ll in your Rotax and change the plugs and oil more frequently

or

fill it up with stale mogas which is what you are most likely to find at and airfield with very low turnover

compared to the local servo??

• 4 years later...

On local then cross country...

At the moment, I fill up the airplane I train in at Cowra from the 98 bowser (in Cowra) into Jerrys and cart them to the airport, and fuel 'my plane', I do the alcohol test on new fuel, and and dump the bottom of the jerry cans .

Now, if I am planning a cross country, seems I need to either

a) go avgas : dump the MOGAS out of the system and go to AVGAS for the trip.

b) stay mogas : have a sufficient endurance to en route via MOGAS availability either at the airport, or get into local town with a couple of 20 litre jerrys or transport bladders. Or carry extra inboard

is this the general method ?

Mogas availability is a concern, it has a very short shelf life ( a couple of weeks). If it is 'Too old'

It can damage your engine.

I usually buy Mogas from busy Sevice stations.

I am surprised at you Planesmaker - the longevity of MoGas has been thoroughly debated in this Forum and the consensus is that

• MoGas can last for up to 12 months, in a sealed container @ 75% capacity or better, with minimal quality change.
  • There is no evidence that MoGas that is even a couple of months old will damage your engine - may have impacts on ease of starting.
  • You can "revive" MoGas in your aircraft tank, by adding fresh MoGas befor a flight - obviously this needs to be in advantageous proportion

Edited by skippydiesel

Related question

Is it better to put fresh 100ll in your Rotax and change the plugs and oil more frequently - Its not just halving the service interval (double the cost & inconvenience) of the plugs & oil - you will also need to have your gearbox/engine inspected & de-sludged at (from memory) the 1000 hr marker

or

fill it up with stale mogas which is what you are most likely to find at and airfield with very low turnover - I agree that it is better to purchase your PULP from a high turnover supplier (Servo)

compared to the local servo??

On local then cross country...

At the moment, I fill up the airplane I train in at Cowra from the 98 bowser (in Cowra) into Jerrys and cart them to the airport, and fuel 'my plane', I do the alcohol test on new fuel, and and dump the bottom of the jerry cans .

Now, if I am planning a cross country, seems I need to either

a) go avgas : dump the MOGAS out of the system and go to AVGAS for the trip. Nooooo - its quite easy to plan a X country that will facilitate MoGas refills AND almost every airfield will have a friendly face to facilitate (just make a few advance phone calls)

b) stay mogas : have a sufficient endurance to en route via MOGAS availability either at the airport, or get into local town with a couple of 20 litre jerrys or transport bladders. Or carry extra inboard Thats the way - you will be amazed at how willing most locals are to help. I have even been lent the ute to go to town for a feed and to fill my 2 x 20 L bladders.

is this the general method ?

Regarding the "Or carry extra inboard" - Probably the best collapsible/bladder ferry tanks come from "Turtle- Pack" -https://www.turtlepac.com/ made in Qld - easy to fit in the passenger seat or in the "cargo" area. With the addition of a small transfer pump you can have 40 litres or more, additional in flight capacity

• Helpful 1

There is no need to dump either Mogas or Avgas as a shandy is quite acceptable. I run exclusively on Premium Mogas but fill up with Avgas when at an aerodrome that has Avgas only. Avgas still has lead in it so not environmentally friendly and the lead deposits on the plugs and heads can cause problems. I don't get any of this with Mogas. The plugs and pistons/heads stay clean.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

There is no need to dump either Mogas or Avgas as a shandy is quite acceptable. I run exclusively on Premium Mogas but fill up with Avgan the plugs and heads can cause problems.

Hi KG. .....Thanks for the comment. .Oh yeah no argument from me on using MOGAS. I do plan on it being my primary fuel.

(assumption Jabiru) ... Seems the margins are % of ethanol that the fuel system (seals, hoses etc etc ) can (or was designed to) cope with without damage, and be aware of the % ethanol you might have in a fuel batch, etc etc, vaporization , contamination, bla bla bla etc etc etc

( all the stuff well covered on this website already - anyone interested just search MOGAS here and you will find a few hundred posts to read with various opinions and information.) .

Actually the Jabiru website has, in my opinion, an excellent treatment on the subject. (and taking into account in the reading the liability factor for a mfr writing up something)

https://jabiru.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/JSL007-7_Fuel_Guidance.pdf