Airports or ALAs with places for a picnic

Hi All,

Does anyone know any places to land that are pleasant enough to land at and have a bite to eat? Especially if there's some shade, and a safe place for the kids to have a run around to stretch their legs.

I'm in Central West NSW, so suggestions vaguely near to me appreciated but I'm sure others would be interested Australia wide.

• Crookwell is scenic, but it's BYO shade and no loo.

thumbnail_ilhfgpjkgdhgejhl.thumb.jpg.4e10ab394073a83b6d7771ec874bb375.jpg

• Narromine has a fenced area near apron with a covered picnic table.

• Khancoban has some lovely big trees and a toilet

IMG_7820.thumb.jpg.8a06708ee8f9803e299b3be83833cbfe.jpg

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

South Grafton. Aero Club open most of the time but the veranda always there for shade. Pub 3 minutes walk with good counter lunches & beer garden. Shopping centre 5 minutes walk.

• Like 1

I agree that Moruya is a great place to visit. Just look at the facilities and attractions close to the airport - swimming at the beach; fishing in the river; there's even a B&B within walking distance. Plus the Aero Club and other operators. $7.09 landing fee through Avdata. 100LL available.

image.thumb.png.d99e15c1763930f1ae91ea658b8998cf.png

160 NM from Orange, overflying Goulburn.

Pretty salty environment for a plane . I wouldn't leave anything I've owned there for an extended time, unless it's in a hangar. Airports can be some of the most dismal places on earth. Rusty corrugated iron sheets flapping in the wind Tumbleweeds and dust . Locked everything, deserted . Narromine was pretty good, last time I was there. probably HOT AS, and dry, Now. Nev

I made the post in jest. But Forrest W.A. should be on every pilot's bucket list it's an amazing place. Only the managers cars and the train track everything else come's by plane.

Not quite,

we have stayed there a couple of times and been joined by travellers driving also.

But I agree in saying that it is a great place to stop either to stay overnight or order ahead for a lunch or morning/afternoon tea.

There is some great art around the property and a museum with history of the early days of Forrest.

JG3 created a google map a few years back of airfields near pubs & food. I think the stipulation was 1km or less walk. It is a great resource. Here is the link.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?msa=0&ll=-26.88041971011401%2C137.021484&spn=41.56424%2C48.251953&mid=1HDxCTbbdJ7DiSSakAVEBsIzGCrg&z=4

and this is the thread

https://www.recreationalflying.com/forums/topic/21838-airfields-near-food-and-pubs/?tab=comments#comment-236372