Aluminum supplies Qld

Thin sheet like 16,20,25 and 32 thou...forget it...Airport Metals in Melbourne and get shafted with the freight or Performance Metals in Sydney

I couldnt find anyone up here that stocked it in that size. Small angle sizes the same situation

You could be a travelling metal supplier driving to Melbourne and dropping off all your orders on the way back - took my replacement 0.025 from the 27th July to the 13th August to get from Sydney to Taree 

Ah thats a bugger. I can see a trip with a trailer in my future....

Unless you are buying huge quantities it will still be cheaper to ship it. You can got the thinner stuff (up to 0.040" or 0.032" from memory) rolled and boxed rather than the standard 1200 x 3600 pallet. The box usually ends up about 1200 x 500 x 500.

Unless you are buying huge quantities it will still be cheaper to ship it. You can got the thinner stuff (up to 0.040" or 0.032" from memory) rolled and boxed rather than the standard 1200 x 3600 pallet. The box usually ends up about 1200 x 500 x 500.

That can be a problem, last delivery I had they managed to roll kinks into the sheet. As I said previously I was able to cut what I needed avoiding the kinks. Big problem with aviation supply companies is employees who know little or nothing about aviation.  A little story:- Some years ago now, I ordered through Aviall a replacement stabiliser spar for a C172RG, when I went along to pick it up, they brought out a box around a metre square. When I pointed out that a stabiliser spar is roughly (without actually measuring it) 2.5metres long and so couldn’t be in that box, they opened the box and someone had folded the spar in half!!!! What was their response? “ Would I be happy to take it at a reduced price?” REALLY!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The rolling and boxing is not the problem. I have seen exactly how they get the creases. It happens when they pick the sheet up flat and allow it to sag in two directions instead of one. 

The story about the Cessna spar doesn’t surprise me. The person who packed it probably even thought it was funny. 

The rolling and boxing is not the problem. I have seen exactly how they get the creases. It happens when they pick the sheet up flat and allow it to sag in two directions instead of one. 

The story about the Cessna spar doesn’t surprise me. The person who packed it probably even thought it was funny. 

No argument there, it is just mishandling whilst picking it up, but once having creased the sheet they should know better that to carry on rolling and packing it! On the last occasion I was lucky that I could cut what I needed avoiding the creases, a lot of people wouldn’t be able to, for example a wing skin. But it seems they just don’t care.