And a Savannah S in Sweden.

Skee

Due to posting in the Yahoo group and Kyle C reffering to this site, somehow im a member here since May 2013? dont remember that, im not of Aussie herritage but still i could show a few photos of my build up until now and on.

I'm building this in my living room, third floor so getting it out is gonna be an experience 066_naughty.gif.fdb194956812c007d0f5d54e3c692757.gif.

As for now ive already buildt the Empennage, two doors and almost done with Right wing, and while waiting for parts i also started chapter 4 with ailerons.20131220_190008.jpg.61ca43942a95b87e3ad6e920e7a6300b.jpg

• Like 4

Skew are you married? She must be a very understanding wife. Good to see that you're determined to build your own aircraft. I think the fuselage when it is done will be a challenge to move. I hope your 1st engine run won't be done in the living room :) no seriously I'm impressed with your determination. Tom

Skew are you married? She must be a very understanding wife. Good to see that you're determined to build your own aircraft. I think the fuselage when it is done will be a challenge to move. I hope your 1st engine run won't be done in the living room :) no seriously I'm impressed with your determination. Tom

No im not married, i got a GF though, she got into the pic after the build started ;)

Nothing like building a Savannah in the lounge room, doing one in my mothers loungeroom,and carport, at the momment. Hard to keep the drill swarf out of the carpets though.

Bought a new carpet 5x3m to cover the floor ;) other problem is that i bought me a brand new Playstation 4 console, ive started it twice since i purschased it, good waste of money.

Nice Skee - the neighbours must be understnading or play loud music

Most of in Oz probably have a fair bit of living space on the ground and a bit more room to spread out - so when you take wings and fueslage out the external walls of your hangar - it will be well worth a photo

Nice Skee - the neighbours must be understnading or play loud musicMost of in Oz probably have a fair bit of living space on the ground and a bit more room to spread out - so when you take wings and fueslage out the external walls of your hangar - it will be well worth a photo

The neighbour below me cough really annoying all day(dont think he has anything to say) and the next to me is playing the accordion and is very understanding.

Ohh yeah there will be photos of me lowering the wings from the third floor in January when i toe the wings to the paintshop.

Ive rally fallen in love with the blue Savannah S, is there any moral in copying it when painting?

savannah.jpg.ad48102bc44898d017d859d08be1ca19.jpg

I have helped tape mask up a couple of those swirl designs at Aerokits, they are a real big pain in the tail to get looking good. You have to get all the curves smooth freehand. The ICP factory use laser cut vinyl stickers with the pattern on them, but they lift every where they go over a rivet near the edge, so if you really want that pattern paint it on. It is a bit dated now, it went with VG and carried over to the XL, I like the simplicity of the S tick pattern on the red factory plane picture, I recolored it green for my avatar.

To stop the stickers lifting around rivets etc have the pattern cut in reverse. Put the outlined computer cut sticker on then paint the pattern on. Once done remove the sticker and you have painted design that wont come off.

Being on the third floor you could always fly it out. 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Kyle Com posted pictures of the shape to cut out of the trailing edge of the caps to make them fit better, after they are cut you can heat them a little bit with a heat gun and squash the trailing edge to make them follow the ailerons profile better. Have a look throught the savannah forums here maybe the Norfolk Island one.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/page-19

I show a couple of pics on page 19 of how I did mine..the tips fitted inside the aluminium and just cut then filed to fit I explain it in the text...came out real nice actually

Good luck with your build and please keep this thread going we all would love to see your progress especially in such a tight building space.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Skee....do you have a pump or something up in the tank area?

Yup, last thumbnail/photo on post nr 2 you see the pump.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/attachments/20131208_222055-jpg.26529/

I was into using the fuelvalve system but since the AUX tank has a 5mm(instead of a 10mm) coupling i wouldn't trust it to work with flow.

sure ill keep the post updated =)

Anyone know if its safe to use one of these instead of the fulefilter from the AUX tanks? since manual says filter is only for visual of flow indication between tanks in wings, would it be safe? could the fuel be corrosive against the plastic?

http://www.amazon.com/Scienceware-199370002-Polystyrene-Roto-Flo-Indicator/dp/B002VBW2IE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_1/178-6291868-3291336

Skee

I am not sure whether it would show you flow between the tanks. Flow between tanks would be slow and may not rotate the implellor. My fuel system I made differently. All 4 tanks are switched separately all 4 go via 4 fuel switches into a fuel manifold out of that is one outlet than goes into the top of the reserve tank. The other outlet on the reserve tank goes direct to the top of the pax side tank as the air breather this way I do no get a vapour lock. All 4 of my tanks have sight guages fitted so from inside the cabin I can see exactly how much fuel is in each tank at any one time. So I control what tank is on or in parallel with each other tank at any time. The inner right hand tank has the fuel flow back to it from the engine this tank is the tank I use for takeoff until the level drops a fair bit then I turn on any other tanks either by themselves or in parallel wit that right hand tank.

Mark

SkeeI am not sure whether it would show you flow between the tanks. Flow between tanks would be slow and may not rotate the implellor. My fuel system I made differently. All 4 tanks are switched separately all 4 go via 4 fuel switches into a fuel manifold out of that is one outlet than goes into the top of the reserve tank. The other outlet on the reserve tank goes direct to the top of the pax side tank as the air breather this way I do no get a vapour lock. All 4 of my tanks have sight guages fitted so from inside the cabin I can see exactly how much fuel is in each tank at any one time. So I control what tank is on or in parallel with each other tank at any time. The inner right hand tank has the fuel flow back to it from the engine this tank is the tank I use for takeoff until the level drops a fair bit then I turn on any other tanks either by themselves or in parallel wit that right hand tank.

Mark

my question was more if the plastic could withstand the fuel enviromentally and not disintergrate/leak, and still be safe , I know impeller would rotate since it has pump.

My aux fuel tanks came preinstalled/sealed/glued with 5mm couplings and inner tanks 10 mm from icp so I cant use your system, a friend of mine has those aerokits fuelvalves laying around and I seriously thought about using them until I discovered the 5 mm nipples.

My fuel manifold and valves are a standard fuel system I got the parts from Enzed and made it up. The nipples used for all of them are what fits the standard fuel hose size supplied in the kit they are not 5mm they are much larger than that. I replaced all my fuel hose this past month due to the kit supplied hose having fuel smell in the cockpit when the plane has been closed up. I have changed all the hose out for a better version it can handle ethanol fuel even but the secret is that it has a inner liner in it and that stops the osmosis from transferring the fuel small.

Mark