And Now for Something Different - Long Xcountry Flights. How do you Pee?

Input vs Output over time in air?

How do you guys cope on long flights these days. Some of us are older these days and do need to GO!

I have on a few occasions on flights in RAA aircraft dropped down into a grass strip I found on track unannounced, and no one around which is usually a private farmer type strip, and used a tree to relieve the need. Have used a the old plastic bottle but can be a problem with no autopilot and in turbulence or no bottle.

I saw this Pee Base Kit. anyone used one - or what have been the members "solutions" on long flights and the need to GO has overcome the will to not!

WHATS YOUR BEST STORY (SOLUTION) WHEN THE NEED TO PEE WAS TO GREAT AND AIRBOURNE IN OUR TOYS.

However here is the - XCPee Base Kit

https://xcmag.com/shop/product/xcpee-base-kit/?v=6cc98ba2045f

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic should attract a lot of interest, given the demographic. Too many older blokes have prostate or bladder issues.

One old mate warned that he'd recently been "reamed out". On each visit he hurries straight from his car to my grove of citrus trees (strategically planted next to the shed).

• Like 1

Gliders often have a "relief tube" which goes out maybe in the u/c box. The near end can be your own design !

It's real bad to dehydrate even a bit to avoid peeing. This degrades your mental facilities a lot, and has been a factor in lots of pilot error crashes.

At Waikerie gliding club, the urinal had a poster showing what the urine colour should be. Anything darker than straw is bad news.

In the Jabiru, I find that a pee before taking off is generally ok for 2 hours which is about as long as I like before a leg stretch. But I do have a plastic bottle behind the fuel tank for an emergency . I have also landed just for a pee.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A bit of pvc pipe from Bunnings dosen't cost a fortune. C'mon guys you can't all be that tight.

If you have a passenger and are a bit shy, tell them to look out for another aircraft off the starboard wingtip.

• Like 2

Being careful about your fluid input (particularly diuretics like tea) before a cross country is a good strategy.

I usually carry water on a long trip - only partake when I know we are about 20-30 minutes out from a landing.

So far so good never been desperate - can usually make it round the back of the hanger/toilet block without rushing.

• Like 1

Being careful about your fluid input (particularly diuretics like tea) before a cross country is a good strategy.

I usually carry water on a long trip - only partake when I know we are about 20-30 minutes out from a landing.

So far so good never been desperate - can usually make it round the back of the hanger/toilet block without rushing.

Your not trying of flying far enough if that's the case!

• Haha 2

Good advice, Skip. I drink lots of green tea and it seems to go thru me in twenty minutes.

While flying I stick to water, and not too much of it. A bicycle drink bottle holder mounted near my leg is ideal.

There is a world of difference between dehydration and being strategic with your fluid intake - you fuel up at every opportunity, you are going to have to p---s it out sooner rather than later.

• Agree 1

I take 2x of the above for relief but only cover around 500 NM at any one time taking around 2.5-3 hrs, I consume around 1-1.5 L water, gotta stay well hydrated.

Speed over the ground is pretty good, no wonder you don’t worry about P stops ?

• Like 1

Speed over the ground is pretty good, no wonder you don’t worry about P stops ?

Oh I still stop mainly for my back though, can't do anymore than 3 hrs at any one time. Having 2 pee bottles and lots of water make the time aloft comfortable in that department?

My gliding flights are often 4 - 6 hrs duration. My setup is an external catheter draining overboard via a tube attached to the u/c door. (I drop the wheel when the time comes). My catheter source is Independence Australia

https://store.independenceaustralia.com/urology/condom-drainage-external-catheters?manufacturer=Urisure

My power flights are generally less than 2 hrs & I can usually last that long, but I do carry a nappy in a plastic freezer bag, just in case.

Another compact option is the Uribag, which can be washed out & reused.

https://www.disabilityshop.com.au/uribag-portable-urinal-male/?gclid=CjwKCAiAzanuBRAZEiwA5yf4ut9Q8kkA8u-MceoRKFoJbPZxqEuMQb7Ov4AK-H7eH6W2f1fcpqtgThoCTdcQAvD_BwE

I always have a pee before takeoff even if I feel I don't need to. I started this in my early days of hang gliding when we refrerred to it as the nervous pee before takeoff. My longest flight ever without a pitt stop was just over 4 hours but these days I like to stop in under 2 hours. There have been times that i have come close to a wet seat but managed to hold on. This is not a good situation to be in as too much of your concentration is used up on holding back and not flying skills.

• Like 2

Someone said on another thread that sports drinks are retained better than plain water,

Cant "see it" so called sports drinks - essentially flavoured water with a few electrolytes thrown in ie a con would be no different to drinking cordial+ sodium chloride (salt) to flavour.

Your body has a comfortable range between dehydration & saturation - it will naturally excrete excess water via urine/sweat/exhalation and stool -l adding sugars and salts will not change this significantly.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

I always have a pee before takeoff even if I feel I don't need to. I started this in my early days of hang gliding when we refrerred to it as the nervous pee before takeoff. My longest flight ever without a pitt stop was just over 4 hours but these days I like to stop in under 2 hours. There have been times that i have come close to a wet seat but managed to hold on. This is not a good situation to be in as too much of your concentration is used up on holding back and not flying skills.

That brings back uncomfortable memories. On decent one day I was busting to go, was becoming seriously worrying as I couldn't get out of the seat to go so I just gripped like crazy & concentrated on the task at hand! After landing the aviation pressure was off me but not the bladder pressure, I handed over the controls to the other driver as I no longer could concentrate even at low levels. Once I got to the dunny oddly enough I couldn't pee initially!?