Another Cessna? not fatal thank goodness

slb

This afternoon 

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/men-swim-to-shore-after-plane-crashes-into-sea-off-fraser-island/ar-BBZqqn2?ocid=spartandhp

Two men have swum to shore after their plane crashed just off the coast of Fraser Island in Queensland's south-east.

Paramedics were called about 1.20pm on Thursday to treat patients for minor injuries in the Happy Valley area, on the eastern side of the island.

The men were being assessed on the beach.

An Australian Transport Safety Bureau spokesman said they had a report that a Cessna 206 light aircraft had crashed.

“The ATSB is gathering further information into the circumstances of the occurrence ahead of determining whether to conduct a transport safety investigation," he said.

• Like 1

Interview with the chief pilot and his new pilot employee on  7 news tonight. He says they were doing some training ( beach operations? ) And they lost rudder control. The video of the ditching shows a quick descent to the water.

Wayne

I could be totally wrong here, but I thought their fleet was all Gippsland Airvans?

They have a 206 in the fleet too.  2 planes down in a few weeks. Beach operations are really tough on the aircraft.  Glad to hear the pilots are OK.

Why would losing control of the rudder cause the aircraft to suddenly dive? Ailerons and elevator should have been able to counteract that with appropriate use of power.

• Agree 2

Why would losing control of the rudder cause the aircraft to suddenly dive? Ailerons and elevator should have been able to counteract that with appropriate use of power.

I was asking the same question when the report said loss of rudder.  The only thing is maybe it was stuck full right or something.  Given my little experience with that machine, I still would have thought it would be cable.  So if it was a broken cable, then it should return to neutral.  So unless it got stuck, and they could not correct it, it has me scratching my head.

How lucky can you be, survive a crash into water with minor injuries and have paramedics right in front of the scene.

I would buy some lotto now.

suprising the plane didn't nose over hitting the water.

• Agree 1

It's interesting that the pilots story has now changed from "loss of rudder control" to "engine failure"? That's a pretty major change in the story - unless the journos who reported it initially, mis-reported the story.

Well if the engine failed why did he not carry out a normal engine failure routine? The aircraft was not climbing and he should have been able to glide and ditch in a flare. Admittedly there was not much altitude but instead there was a left diving turn into the sea. Sounds fishy to me.

• Agree 1

I am pretty sure that ..............Casting stones from a aircraft is considered a sin.

Doing pretty much anything in an aircraft is considered a sin in this country.......Wait, no, just doing pretty much anything in this country is a sin.

• Haha 2