electronic maps, where do we get them now?

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

Hi Guys

All the current maps I use with Oziexplorer came from MapTrax in FNQ. If you go to the website now, www.maptrax.com.au it would seem that the owner has retired.

Is anyone aware of where we can now buy our electonic WAC.s VNC's VTC's ercls etc?

Andy

Hi Andy...was just asking the same question a few weeks ago when wanting to get some additional maps for our trip to Bundaberg. I'm yet to find another supplier and am looking into how to 'do it yourself' as you can scan and calibrate paper maps into OziExplorer. We're also asking some guys in Air Services to see whether they might be able to assist.

Sound like a business opportunity for someone, there is definitely a need.

Cheers,

Matt.

I bought most of the east coast WACs, VNCs and VTCs from Maptrax and am happy to share while there is nowhere else to get them.

I have also scanned the paper ones where I had gaps or before I bought the right electronic ones. The biggest trick in scanning is to plot multiple coordinates accurately to make a .map file. The best way to do that is to use the full (paid for) version of OziExplorer on your PC. The trial version only allows 3 (or is it 2?) points to be plotted. This is enough, but 4 or more works better and will pick up errors more easily.

Buying them already scanned and plotted is far easier, so I hope we can find another source.

Ross

Guest Andys@coffs

Matt

I to tried the scan it yourself and quickly concluded that an A1 or A2 sized scanner was needed. These are expensive beasts, and the output (file size) is sizeable. Using an A4 scanner was painful without cutting up the source map.

I wonder if the previous owner still has all the equipment?

As you say a business opportunity, but not without some conflicts that would need to be sorted first, like the fact that you would be copying and distributing a copyrighted map, so no doubt there would be a royalty that needs to be paid etc.

Andy

Does anyone use the AirNav VFR program and, if so, can you tell us what format the map files are in. Wondering whether their map packs (which are very reasonably priced) can be used with OziExplorer.

Cheers,

Matt.

For those who want to know more about moving maps and GPS navigation, there's a great page of info on the RAAus website here. It's a little dated, but a good start.

There is some stuff there that may answer your question BigPete - particularly have a look at AviaDBM.

There are also a few quotes from the guy behind AirNav stating that copying the AirServices maps yourself is breaching copyright, saying how that makes you a pirate, and piracy is bad mmmkay? He says it will put him out of business. Won't somebody think of the children?

AirNav doesn't do moving map unless you want to carry a laptop in the cockpit.

Matt, the answer to your question would appear to be "no" because of this.

They also point to this page from Cumulus Soaring in the US. Good stuff there too.

I am going to chase AirServices and see if I can contact the MapTrax guy to find alternatives.

Ross

Guest Andys@coffs

Excellent, thanks for that Geoff

I didnt care who provided them, as long as someone filled the obvious hole, and as long as the cost of buying the business doesnt cause the maps to be more expensive than paper/ history

Andy

• 1 month later...
Guest browng
Does anyone use the AirNav VFR program and, if so, can you tell us what format the map files are in. Wondering whether their map packs (which are very reasonably priced) can be used with OziExplorer.Cheers,

Matt.

Yes, I use Airnav and am very happy with it, the map packs however are not really separate files as far as I can see. When the charts expire you simply cannot access them, and the update is a new program CD that overwrites the old install completely including the new charts. I am very happy with Airnav, not just the product but the support behind it, but I don't have a need for moving map stuff as I only use my GPS to establish groundspeed, and to cross check my 'printed from airnav' map-to-ground navigation, (ok yes, I'm an old fart, but I don't like relying on ANY tekkernology to keep my **** out of a sling). By the way, I reckon the Airnav charts are quite a bit cheaper than the Maptrax ones.