Another jab down...pilot said the engine just stopped

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facts will be of interest as with any accident.

Bullshit and personal bias is of no interest and actually reflects on the poster.  We have been through this crap before and just  continual comments of this uninformed bias only adds to my ignor list -  which I don’t like to use but continual rubbish from ANYONE trying to push their personal bias without any facts certainly makes me use the function.

With the new site the list was deactivated but as SOME appear again with crap without fact I can see a few will need adding again.  I refuse to read uninformed crap, the ABC covers that enough for me.

• Agree 6
  • Haha 1

I saw this story too. Once again, I thought that if you are looking for a paddock to put down in with unfavourable conditions, the Jabiru would certainly be the plane to be in. Once again...pilot walks free.

• Agree 1

Flying from WA it might have started running on air.

glad the chap is ok

Confirmed from PIC -   suffered from fuel starvation due to deviation from planned track from not perfect weather conditions.

Even the most perfect engines need fuel. Did he/she keep a flight log?  At this point I must emphasise that to land when you still have enough fuel to use the engine is FAR preferable to having the engine just stop and have to do an unplanned, unexpected deadstick "off field" landing. .. Nev

I heard he landed at Mundubbera and the motor stopped shortly after take off fuel starvation makes no sense to me. If he took off with almost empty tanks to go to Bundaberg then what the!!

• Like 1

I heard he landed at Mundubbera and the motor stopped shortly after take off fuel starvation makes no sense to me. If he took off with almost empty tanks to go to Bundaberg then what the!!

ERSA doesn’t show any fuel available at Mundubbera. Maybe he felt he had no choice but to push on and hope he could reach Bundaberg. 

ERSA doesn’t show any fuel available at Mundubbera. Maybe he felt he had no choice but to push on and hope he could reach Bundaberg.  

You always have a choice !

It' wether you want to take that choice.

013_thumb_down.gif.4863ae72427800e7c2610d25be9b56cd.gif

• Agree 1

It was only a guess that that’s what might have happened, but you don’t have a choice  in a case like that.

At the point of origin he is required to flight plan the fuel stop locations with the legally required reserve for each stop.  

If there is a horrific headwind or no fuel at one of the stops, he is not going to make the next the next destination with a legal fuel reserve, so his legal obligation is to stop and find some fuel or replan to an alternate field with fuel and with a reserve.

if you’ve done Performance & Operations you’ll be able to do replanting in the air.

Maybe but that would be stupid. Pilots that want to live have to make better decisions than that. If the motor stopped for some other reason then that would be different. I doubt if he made it all the way from WA by being stupid. 

Fuel starvation isn’t necessarily fuel exhaustion.

kaz

Yes true do you think someone has been in a position to differentiate between the the two in this case? Given the aircraft is not easily accessible. 

Agreed. Fuel can leak  or pumps can fail. Another Plus for Hi wing?  Filler caps can come off and make the bladder tanks empty while still showing full.. There's no mechanic in the sky. It has to be right before you fly.  Nev

• Like 1