Anyone seen a Wingbug in the wild?

I have a Tomahawk that I'd like to do some touring in, but avionics wise it has only the basic six-pack (no VOR etc) and I figure it would be handy to have some kind of backup to the basics as well as some nav tools on a long trip. I'd love to look at upgrading the avionics but it's very hard to justify given what it would cost relative to the value of the plane so I'm looking at budget options. One thing I've come across looks like a relatively new product called the Wingbug (www.wingbug.com), it looks like it would give me a proper ADAHRS enabled system via an iPad screen at a relatively affordable price. Has anyone seen or used one of these that could offer some observations? Alternatively I was thinking of investigating whether something like the Avmap Ultra EFIS would be a good thing, seems reasonably affordable though I've no idea on the installation costs. If you've tried the Wingbug I'd love to get your thoughts on it.

I have a Tomahawk that I'd like to do some touring in, but avionics wise it has only the basic six-pack (no VOR etc) and I figure it would be handy to have some kind of backup to the basics as well as some nav tools on a long trip. I'd love to look at upgrading the avionics but it's very hard to justify given what it would cost relative to the value of the plane so I'm looking at budget options. One thing I've come across looks like a relatively new product called the Wingbug (www.wingbug.com), it looks like it would give me a proper ADAHRS enabled system via an iPad screen at a relatively affordable price. Has anyone seen or used one of these that could offer some observations? Alternatively I was thinking of investigating whether something like the Avmap Ultra EFIS would be a good thing, seems reasonably affordable though I've no idea on the installation costs. If you've tried the Wingbug I'd love to get your thoughts on it.

Avplan on your ipad should have everything you need.

Avplan on your ipad should have everything you need.

Avplan and others seem good for the nav side, but I'm also after something that gives me a backup for attitude, ASI etc. I guess not such a big deal flying VFR.

I have a BOM which is similar but has a bit more stuff in it like ADSB IN and a proper GPS also does AOA with pressure not caculated and has a wind turbine to charge the battery while flying

https://levilaviation.com/thebom/

• Like 1

I think the thing you are taking of is self contained and can be easily transferred from one plane to another. Nev

Have a look at the Dynon Pocket Panel D 3

I have the earlier version, it does it all!

• Like 1

I have a BOM which is similar but has a bit more stuff in it like ADSB IN and a proper GPS also does AOA with pressure not caculated and has a wind turbine to charge the battery while flying

https://levilaviation.com/thebom/

The BOM looks super cool, no need to charge is a big bonus. Hadn't seen that before, thanks!

Have a look at the Dynon Pocket Panel D 3

I have the earlier version, it does it all!

I started my searching with the D3, it's pretty hard to past given it's price point. From there I started wondering how much better having something that gives me true IAS, which some of the options here do, but of course for extra dollars. I'm thinking of the situation where I'm coming in to somewhere I've not been before perhaps with a non functioning primary ASI, how important is it going to be to have a true indication of airspeed or is something like what I can get from a GPS (ground speed) enough?

I started my searching with the D3, it's pretty hard to past given it's price point. From there I started wondering how much better having something that gives me true IAS, which some of the options here do, but of course for extra dollars. I'm thinking of the situation where I'm coming in to somewhere I've not been before perhaps with a non functioning primary ASI, how important is it going to be to have a true indication of airspeed or is something like what I can get from a GPS (ground speed) enough?

If you have a good idea of the wind, the D3 will give you GPS derived ground speed, and you should be able to land safely with power and attitude. You wont be too far out!

• Like 1

Unless you have a head up display you won't be looking at your airspeed much under 100 feet. Many ASI's read lower than actual at the bottom end. The static source is often the problem. IF you don't change the planes attitude, power or configuration it's not going to change airspeed suddenly unless it's a wind event and they can be anything from a slight path deflection to something near catastrophic. You can't fixate on airspeed and land a plane. IF your indicated airspeed is erroneous it's usually consistent and you get used to it . Not really an ideal situation but often all that's reasonably available, plus the seat of your pants feel .Nev

• Like 2

The wing bug software only allows setting altimeter in inches. I have written to them and he said he should be able to put hectopscals in and will let me know. You should send a similar email as they are cutting themselves out of the austrAlain market and the more enquiring about it, the quicker they will fix it. I have a similar problem. Can’t put mounted instruments in without big expense (VH rego) and really old instrumentation. So I’m currently looking at the wing bug. BOM is the alternative. I think they are both great product. Wingbug a bit cheaper and doesn’t self charge but I would take it home to charge anyway. 10 hours battery is pretty good. but they seem to do the same things. Both have A of A by the way. I do like the wingbug six pack presentation and as I have a portable ADSB in device, I don’t require it.

• Like 1

AoA or a speed reference is good to have, especially if you have a complex Flap set up where you have a whole pile of safety speeds to memorise that change with aircraft AUW. IF you have flaps on your kite, the AoA indicator must take account of the flap position(s) or it lacks validity in the different situation. Nev

• Like 1

The wing bug software only allows setting altimeter in inches. I have written to them and he said he should be able to put hectopscals in and will let me know. You should send a similar email as they are cutting themselves out of the austrAlain market and the more enquiring about it, the quicker they will fix it. I have a similar problem. Can’t put mounted instruments in without big expense (VH rego) and really old instrumentation. So I’m currently looking at the wing bug. BOM is the alternative. I think they are both great product. Wingbug a bit cheaper and doesn’t self charge but I would take it home to charge anyway. 10 hours battery is pretty good. but they seem to do the same things. Both have A of A by the way. I do like the wingbug six pack presentation and as I have a portable ADSB in device, I don’t require it.

I didn't realise that, keep forgetting they do their pressure differently in the US. I might do as you say and give them an email.

• Like 1