Red Bull Air Race, Perth

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

I am a Red Bull Air Race Fan, and i am going over to Perth for the final round of this years competition, to be held on the 9th Nov.

Any one else interested?

Anyone a travel agent thatwould be willing toset up a deal fora group?

Thanks Ozzie

Guest ozzie

Thats great, should find a few more before then. i am assuming that the event will be held over the swan river the same as the rest of the events. there is not much on their website, as yet.

Maybe some WA rec pilots could give us easties some heads up if they hear anything. maybe hook up with them and make a weekend of it.

Ozzie

G'Day ozzie,

A mate and I are planning to go across, (I should point out that it's on the 19th) as he hopes to get a room he regularly uses for business, that overlooks the Swan.

I figure they will try to use Langley Park as their strip so they don't have to fly in from Jandikot.

The SAAA often hold a special fly-in at Langley Park, which is on the Swan foreshore, and used to be Perth's first airport (1920's to 30's?).

Would be cool if we could all fly into Langley with them! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Arthur.

I've only seen the Red Bull Races once on telly, was very confusing. The camera shots kept changing, with music blaring. Was hard to see what was actually going on, didn't stay on the flying long on one camera, out of focus shots swapping very quickly.

Looks like it could be very interesting though.

Guest ozzie

arthur i do belive that langley park is not used now as some mug built a clock tower at one end. thanks for the correction on the date, marked in my diary as the 19th musta slipped on the keyboard.

yes the race is fast and can be confusing until you study the course and check the rules.if you watched the last heatin spain it had fantastic camera work goodexplations of the aircraft and the work that goes into building them. plus a million people watching.it is being presented as fomula one with wings. this is something thatsport aviation has needed for a long time. Redbull must sell a lot of that drink as the money thrown at this must be enormous.

• 2 weeks later...

RED BULL

Got that in my calendar too. I have heard some hunter valley fliers are also flying across.

Have just seen the clock tower recently - didn't think it was that big, but haven't seen it fom the air.

Jack.

wanabigaplane

G'Day Robes,

I haven't checked to see just how they're going to organize things, but I don't think the bell tower would be a problem.

Here's a shot taken from said tower looking towards Langley Park, I usually go over each christmas to see the folks. :big_grin:

Actually, the view from the tower of the race would be worth millions!!

Hope I get there.

Arthur.20060625_132509_BellTower.jpg

For those that don't know Perth, Langley Park (Perth's first airport) is the kilometer long clearing on the other side of that big pine tree in centre photo, (they wouldn't let me cut it down for the picture! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif )

Arthur.,

Guest Guest

Howdy all, I'm planning on heading over as is my brother so if anyones planning a group thing we'd be more than happy to meet up.

Just found a neat picture I took of Langley Park a couple of years ago on holiday with a friend from a 172.

The clock tower is shown at the arrow.

Arthur.20060703_140921_langly.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OK, an update from Ian's news threads;

Red Bull Race

The article mentions 'Sir James Mitchell Park' as being part of the event, possibly hinting that the aircraft may operate from there...?

After Googling the name of the park, I find many sites saying that the park will be the best vantage point to watch from but I don't know if this is because you will be next to where the aircraft take off and land, or if it's just an easier place to get to, to watch the air race over the water?

My betting is that the aircraft will operate from Langley Park, which would include many road closures?

You would also be looking into the sun somewhat from Mitchell park, The old sunburnt 'airshow' face! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

If you look at the photo in the post above, I hope to be watching from the top floor of the tall white building just next to the three story thing with the orange roof !!:star: 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Arthur. pylon500

Guest sypkens

Have booked my flight (had some frequent flyers left over for just such

an occasion). Still scouting places to stay as I have a mate and his

siter also going.

Guest ozzie

it seems that most of accomodation has become pricey. i am considering just renting a camper van for duration as a alternative.

Arthur now we know were you are staying. What time does the party start.?

Ozzie

Didn't get a chance to post earlier, and noticed that the latest episode of the RED BULL AIR-RACE was on last Sunday afternoon.

Upon watching it, it would appear the Russian heat was scrubbed due to some political problem, so they did a recap and some interviews with the West Australian organisers. :)

It would appear that they will use Langley Park as a strip.

Must book my ticket!! :ah_oh:

Arthur.

Guest ozzie

I booked some time off work for it. still thinking of hiring a camper for a week and see some of the west coast whilst i'm there. The closest i'vebeen to Perth was Kambalda just southish of Kalgoolie. Just flew in for a weeks skydiving from Sydney in a Nomad. And never left the DZ. Greatboogie tho, complete with Kalg entertainment.

WA pilots can you recommend some interesting aviation places, museums maybe, to visit.

ta Ozzie

Guest ozzie

For those who think there top gun pilots, try this. You have until August 14 to play the Redbull Air Race Game online fora chance to win a ride in a Redbull race plane.compete and download the 3D game at

http://www.redbullairrace.com/game.php good luck

Turkey round will be televised this Sunday afternoon check your local guide.

Guest ozzie

Well it looks like the WA tourism board wants us all to come as they are advertising the event on all east coast TV channels. better book your flight asap.

Guest Guest

There appears to be plenty of flights left on Qantas from Melbourne with their Red E-Deal. Around $237 each way. Not bad. Plenty around those dates. Staying somewhere cheap might be another issue however.

Nosmo

I am thinking of flying over from Adelaide but still not committed yet. I am an RA-Aus pilot so can anyone suggest the closest field/club to Perth to fly to that is outside airspace?

Hi Steve

I saw some of The Red Bull Race Turkey Edition on our Channel 10.

The camera work was pretty impessive with shots in the planes and fantastic zoom shots following the planes around the course.

You see closeups of the pilot and planes all around the course. The most impressive aerial photography I have ever seen. The crowd seemed to be very close to the competitors and would have had a great view but I think the TV shots would have been much better. It was a bit like seeing the cricket closeup with a TV shot versus watching it fromthe back of the stand.

The planes all with smoke trails turned on would start out by diving at the first gate to get some extra speed before passing through them. Thegates appear tobe inflated tall pear shaped balloons with some of the gates not wide enough to go through with level wings. Most passes that I saw through the gates appeared to have the planes actually past a 90 degree bank so that they were actually using back stickto get lower as they passed through the gate. Course or lap times were in the order of 11 seconds. I did not see the whole show so do not know all the details. The participants would have had an extreme adrenalin high!

Regards

Ross Arnold Ross

Guest ozzie

The gates are lightweight sailcloth, early in the show it showed one aircraft actually taking one over the wing making the pilot work hard to keep the aircraft level. the material starts to shed in the airflow. blue gates are passed wings level, red gates are passed knifedge. some manouvers were pulling excess of 10g.

The number of people turning up to these events is amazing. they were lined right up to the waters edge. better view on TV but there will be a airshow type event over the preceding two days and a chance to get into the 'pits' (fight the crowd). looking forward to it as flyins and airshows on the east cost are getting scarce now.

Now how can our 'sport'get a bit of publicityat this event.

Where is theRAAus media officer?