Aviation engine test stand, what's involved?

RFguy

Let's see :

1) something to hold it (1cu block of concrete precast)

2) airflow for air cooled engine (squirrel cage blowers driving airbox ? - how many CFM and inches ? (could work this out knowing parameters)

3) load to simulate prop . (pump water up narrow tube up hill ? hydraulic fluid , torque converter to pump ? ) How is this done ?

Object is NOT a dyno. Object is to muck around with Jab engines offline.

How is this done in work shops ?

Usually just tie the plane to the bull bar of your 4WD or a reasonable fence. Easier if it's a tailwheel ...Not many Jabs are. A bit of extra blast air into the front will probably keep it happy. Could use compressed air jets into a duct (flowmultiplier) Ansett and others used to mount the Radials of about 1200 HP on a wheeled dolly with oil ,fuel battery connections and the necessary gauges on a panel and use a stubby paddle bladed( 4 blades) wood prop barely bigger than the engine diameter I don't think it measured HP and was just to put some time on an overhauled engine and do minor adjustments and checks. Biggest risk would probably be if the engine seized suddenly The large internal counterweights have a lot of flywheel effect. Nev

My opinion. Use a real prop for load.

A ground adjustable can be adjusted for different loads on the engine.

Nothing to fabricate or calculate.

It will also provide some airflow over engine.

• Like 1

Nev: must have been quite a test stand for a big radial. geez.

Use the prop ? and just stay away from the prop ?! (or caged ???). like if I want to tweak and poke. I need to get near it.

Yes, Mark- agreed I was also thinking a good heavy wide base auto engine stand .

What I really need is a small old LSA jab with no wings . (or no wings any more) to roll into the factory.

Hmm what to do with exhaust quieting and still provide the correct (or similar) back pressure (or lack of it- I know NOTHING about camshaft profiles or gas flows for these sort of motors)