Aviation TV shows

Hongie

Hi all.. Anyone else interested in aviation tv shows? The three I watch as soon as they are out are"Alaska wingmen", "flying wild Alaska" and "ice pilots NWT" (northwest territories). All pretty good, with some good pilots, although you do have to take some of the sensationalism with a grain or 3 of salt at times. As you can probably tell they are all north America/Alaska centric, but good viewing none the less.

If you know of any others, let me know!

If you are a foxtel watcher. They will occasionally re-run the following that are well worth watching

1. A Plane is Born

2. Aviators

3. Martin Shaw Aviators

4. Flight Path TV

Phil

Guest ozzie

I just watched the episode with the cake 'safely' stowed right in the very rear of the 'van. hah worst turbulance i've seen.

Ariel can't be as dumb as she makes out. If she was she would have walked into a moving prop long ago.

I am amazed at the conditions they fly in. -40, sorry i start to shut down at +5c and blown away at 30kts.

Guest pookemon

I've watched an episode of Flying Wild Alaska - seems OK - (Ariel was in the US version of "Wipeout" - and was hilariously stupid). I think I watched an episode of "ice pilots NWT" - and couldn't stand it. Too repetitive (and that's just within a single episode). A plane is born is quite good - there's also A chopper is born (and others - 4x4 etc.).

Yes Ariel is the dumb one in the show, so to speak... but I think she's the draw card for people to watch it! lol I find it quite an entertaining thing to watch.

Seen 'dust up' a few times now and whilst I'm sure the main dude is a good pilot (second only to his dad who is 70+hrs and still flying ag...), the show is a little lame.

'Flying Wild Alaska' is a great show with gnarly skills shown by just about everyone I've seen hop into a plane!!

Hongie, if you're looking for net stuff, jump on You Tube and check out 'A B29 frozen in time' - quite amazing story and also 'Alaska Bush Pilots' which was a Nat Geo series with Jared LETO. Also a terrific watch!

Seen 'dust up' a few times now and whilst I'm sure the main dude is a good pilot (second only to his dad who is 70+hrs and still flying ag...), the show is a little lame.

I can't disagree with your opinion, but the show is better than "The Biggest Loser Farmer has the X-Factor to Survive the Great Race with Talent."

OME

Agreed.... I will watch a bad flying program 10 times over rather than master chef and the rest! Seriously, though, check out those YouTube's I mentioned - great stuff!

Will do seb. Thanks. Must say I do watch master chef and my kitchen rules though :) I like cooking, just not real good at doing it myself... Bit like flying I suppose now I think of it

• 5 years later...

A new program called Outback Pilots starts at 9:30 on Tuesday on 7mate. It follows a companion program Outback Truckers.

• Informative 1

My aviation short movie -

Also when I can find a lvl 2 to come out here I'll start my new series -"For the love of flying" First episode will Feature the Whing Ding II and its maiden flight ;) stay tuned - meanwhile Here's the 1973 Whing Dings first start up ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7wpjAu3A_Y

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe slightly off-topic, but does anyone else of "a certain age", and probably British descent, remember a 1933 aviation adventure serial, "The Mystery Squadron" shown on the fledgling BBC television service in the 1950's? US-made and obviously dated even by the time it made it to the British 9-inch black and white screens, I fondly remember sitting with my dad as we watched the full 12 weekly episodes together. Apart from the incredible actual and studio-recreated biplane aerial sequences, I'll never forget the thrill of hearing the villain's radio call - "Black Ace calling station A". Seems a few others have fond memories too, as a Google search brings up quite a few references. For those who enjoy a bit of flying nostalgia, some restored episodes are available on DVD and streamed, free, at The Mystery Squadron DVD.

- Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Watching tonight's episode of Outback Pilots. A guy rounding up wild goats in a gyrocopter, a guy dropping fire pellets to start burnoffs from a R44 chopper in the Tiwi Islands, and a young lady pilot who wants to be a standup comedian flying a Cessna 310 into bush strips in Kakadu.

• Like 1