Axles

TechMan

The below image was submitted to RA-Aus showing a broken Jabiru axle.

Whilst the aircraft in question has had many 'incidents', the area is certainly one to be looked at after a heavy landing (if the legs don't give way first).

Yes, it should just be another item that is checked during regular maintenance, but many people wouldn't.

Chris

TechMan

20060817_012218_Jabaxle.jpg.5c9564deb9914e0e95048ca782c0c1e7.jpg

Hi TechMan

An interesting shot. I would like to know what model and serial number Jabiru that wheel came off. I know that my wheels look qute different and the axels have been modified with a larger radius fillet at the root which is probably the point of failure in your photo. Also the axel is tapered from the fillet back to where the bearings are mounted. That should result in a substantial reduction in the stress concentration in the area of the fillet.

See my photo below which does not show the axel but the considerably different wheel. It is from Jabiru kit J160 serial number 14 despatched in Dec 2004. See attached pic. The brake calipers are not attached at this stage.

Regards Ross

20060817_075259_J160_UC_Wheels_.thumb.jpg.d85cfe9ce539985833abfe58ccc03015.jpg

Hi Ross,

The aircraft was a Jabiru LSA55/2j built in 1998.

In all fairness to the Jab, it is nearing 4000 hrs and around 11000 landings. Not a bad effort in fact.

I am unsure whether the axles had been replaced during the times when the undercarriage had to be put back on.

Chris