Back using Xenforo v1

Admin

Hi all, as you no doubt can see we are back using Xenforo v1 as the site software platform. I know that it probably looks like I am left with egg on my face however all the reasons why we moved to another platform still exist but recent circumstances allow for a different way to skin the cat so to speak.

We will eventually move to Xenforo v2 but this time it will be done differently and in a way that I hope will satisfy nearly all site users.

If you find anything that doesn't seem right from the move back to XF v1 then please post your issue in the support thread at:

Any Site Problems...Site Support

Please accept my apologies for the last few months but we are now on a better path forward...thanks

• Like 2

Thanks Ian and well done. From a "Forums" perspective in my opinion this platform is much better. Aesthetically more pleasing, with the side menu, likes options that provide much more insight for both poster and receiver plus a number of other factors.

• Agree 2

Interesting how quick you adapt to new situations......I'm having trouble getting around the old format after using the new V2.

Thanks Ian....I don't care what format the sites in you do a great job. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Either one is OK by me. This will get me hate mail, but I think there are some having difficulty coming to grips with the concept of remote controls for their TV.

• Agree 1

Thanks for your comments, I don't think anyone was really happy with the IPS platform. There seems to be very little in the number of issues with reverting so far so this is a positive outcome. I engaged a guy in the UK to do the actual IPS to XF conversion over night ($400 USD) and then I did the reduction of old data, the migration between 2 instances and then clean up...shhh but I do like XF from an Admin user perspective (albeit a lot of work with v1) however the IPS platform provided far more functionality which is something for us to strive for.

The one big thing left to do is to migrate the new Media entries to here which I will start looking at tomorrow but this will be a manual job as there isn't any ready made migration script.

I am really glad to hear that you are liking the old software platform back so please post away and let's get this community going again...thanks

Hi Ian. Are the classifieds gone? Cant see any and when i click on my adds only my outdated ads show up and not my current listing? Do i repost my sonerai Advert ?

No wuggers. Thanks mate

Hi Ian. Are the classifieds gone? Cant see any and when i click on my adds only my outdated ads show up and not my current listing? Do i repost my sonerai Advert ?No wuggers. Thanks mate

Yes please mate...I have started doing all the manual things now which should take all day and doing the Classifieds is one of them so relisting it will save me having to do it...thanks

• Like 1

Yes please mate...I have started doing all the manual things now which should take all day and doing the Classifieds is one of them so relisting it will save me having to do it...thanks

No wuggers will relist tonight from other ipad with smaller pics

Either one is OK by me. This will get me hate mail, but I think there are some having difficulty coming to grips with the concept of remote controls for their TV.

Sometimes old dogs come to the conclusion that they have enough tricks and don't need any new ones. I think it's good to get the chance to exercise by getting off the couch and crossing the room to change the channel!

• Winner 1

I have just finished manually migrating all the posts in the threads that crossed over between the XF v1 backup on the 1st March and to the end of the IPS forum software platform. This now means that ALL threads and posts (with the exception of the Announcements forum as many are now not applicable) have been migrated. If by any chance you notice that a thread or post may be missing please let me know.

In a couple of days I will begin to look at the Classifieds, Media Gallery and any other areas where there is anything new but for now the forums should be all completed.

Also I must extend my greatest thanks to @red750 who spent a lot of effort trying to help users to use the IPS software platform. I know that we moved back to XF but your effort doesn't go unrecognised...thank you Red

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those few people that have become Recreational Flying First Class Members by making a donation towards the site costs...it is greatly appreciated to know that there are those of you that appreciate the work that goes into keeping this valuable resource alive for every recreational aviator...thank you.

I hope you are all enjoying the familiarity of the old software platform...warts and all :thank you:

I've never had a problem with a platform including the one just gone but for the first time I really just didn't like the new platform. It didn't have half the features or useability of this one so I was missing that. It did look pretty. I am certainly glad to be back to this one.

Thanks Ian

I forgot how much better the old site was (is) until it returned! I'm only speaking from the users end - it may well be more difficult for you, so I thank you for your efforts.

• Agree 1

Hi all, as you no doubt can see we are back using Xenforo v1 as the site software platform. I know that it probably looks like I am left with egg on my face however all the reasons why we moved to another platform still exist but recent circumstances allow for a different way to skin the cat so to speak.We will eventually move to Xenforo v2 but this time it will be done differently and in a way that I hope will satisfy nearly all site users.

If you find anything that doesn't seem right from the move back to XF v1 then please post your issue in the support thread at:

Any Site Problems...Site Support

Please accept my apologies for the last few months but we are now on a better path forward...thanks

Please don’t apologise

We never improve without change

I have never seen an innovator willing to accept the direction may be wrong

Doesn’t mean change is wrong

Don’t ever stay with the status quo if you see a better way forward

Thanks Ian....I have to say I much prefer this version...the new one was frustrating to use at times...

Thanks IanI forgot how much better the old site was (is) until it returned! I'm only speaking from the users end - it may well be more difficult for you, so I thank you for your efforts.

I fully agree. This old software platform is more user friendly (from my perspective anyway) as well as more familiar. This makes it easier for a busy person to use, rather than having to relearn things about operating the site. I would be happy if the Recreational Flying stayed on this platform into the future!

• Agree 1