Barn find

Thruster88

Whoa, that poor little neglected beast would be a prime depository for nests of rats and their destructive antics, wasps blocking orifices, bird poop (highly corrosive), and corrosion from fertiliser dust. You'd want to examine every square mm of the machine and every single component in it, before you would risk any attempt at getting airborne.

Barn finds may elicit glee and excitement upon discovery, but the bottom line is, they are unloved and neglected machines, with all the attendant massive corrosion and destructive critter problems.

Brothers FIL had his (fairly new) Bedford truck stored in the farm shed, in the early 1970's, between seeding and harvest. He went to crank it up come harvest, and the Bedford starter only spun for a second then stalled out.

The starter repeatedly refused to turn the engine, so it was removed. Upon removal, they found a rats nest built between the starter pinion and flywheel ring gear.

Upon starter engagement, the pinion wound the rats nest into mesh between it and the ring gear. There was only a small opening in the flywheel housing, but it was just the right size for a rat to squeeze through on a regular basis, using the chassis crossmember under the housing as a walkway.

Must be the season for it! Our Club has been offered several neglected aircraft, from a kit still in its crates to half built, to built and not flown for years. All from $Free to $Make Me An Offer. No one here has been keen to take on the challenge.

A ProTech PT2, bought 20 years ago, still in boxes, engine turned over regularly. A Pulsar, repaired after a prang, but off the RAA register and not flown for 15+yrs. A Sapphire, not flown for years, off the RAA register, owner pulls it out regularly, turns the engine, cleans and services. Many more not flying, or partly built, never on the register, or taken off when the owner's health deteriorated. Ahh! to be young again with time on my hands to do them justice! Instead we are looking to reduce our fleet to give us more time to work on what we have.

• Like 1

Must be the season for it! Our Club has been offered several neglected aircraft, from a kit still in its crates to half built, to built and not flown for years. All from $Free to $Make Me An Offer. No one here has been keen to take on the challenge.

A ProTech PT2, bought 20 years ago, still in boxes, engine turned over regularly. A Pulsar, repaired after a prang, but off the RAA register and not flown for 15+yrs. A Sapphire, not flown for years, off the RAA register, owner pulls it out regularly, turns the engine, cleans and services. Many more not flying, or partly built, never on the register, or taken off when the owner's health deteriorated. Ahh! to be young again with time on my hands to do them justice! Instead we are looking to reduce our fleet to give us more time to work on what we have.

What happened to the pulsar?

What happened to the pulsar?

I had advertised it on Rec Fly YEARS ago - will have to look, the owner is a hard man to help. He needs to sell as he will never fly again, the wife wants it sold, long story. The prang was in his panic that the sun was going down while he was doing circuits (and lots of friends watching .... no pressure) he landed hot with a tailwind. Collected the fence at the end with the wing. Was professionally repaired, and he's been pulling it off and doing little things, I think, not wanting to give up his hobby. Mr FV says it is the best 912 he has seen. It is in our hangar and he pulls it through now and again. The age of the engine may be an issue, now RAA are wanting all the ADs etc done before returning it to the register. He shouldn't have taken it off. Looks sleek, ex VH register, goes like the clappers but needs an EXPERIENCED pilot as it is very slippery. I'll try to find the initial adverts with pics etc.

A 70s author/poet/hippy/bum/very strange man, Richard Brautigan wrote, amongst other things, a book called The Abortion.

Which featured a library that was open 24/7 for any writer who ever wrote something that would never be published.

The book was entered in the ledger system, and the author got to place it on the shelves wherever they wished.

If money were no object I would have a very large hangar, and gradually fill it with the flying dreams of (mostly) men: the machines they built. There are so very many out there, and some of them so beautifully built too.....................

• Like 2

...If money were no object I would have a very large hangar, and gradually fill it with the flying dreams of (mostly) men: the machines they built. There are so very many out there, and some of them so beautifully built too.....................

One very experienced CASA bloke told me that every shed has a part-built aeroplane in it. There‘s one in my shed too; I put lots of work into it and was helped by several of this country’s best designers. Too many other projects to complete this one, so I hope it finds a good home one day.

Edited by Old Koreelah

Whoa, that poor little neglected beast would be a prime depository for nests of rats and their destructive antics, wasps blocking orifices, bird poop (highly corrosive), and corrosion from fertiliser dust. You'd want to examine every square mm of the machine and every single component in it, before you would risk any attempt at getting airborne.

Barn finds may elicit glee and excitement upon discovery, but the bottom line is, they are unloved and neglected machines, with all the attendant massive corrosion and destructive critter problems.

Brothers FIL had his (fairly new) Bedford truck stored in the farm shed, in the early 1970's, between seeding and harvest. He went to crank it up come harvest, and the Bedford starter only spun for a second then stalled out.

The starter repeatedly refused to turn the engine, so it was removed. Upon removal, they found a rats nest built between the starter pinion and flywheel ring gear.

Upon starter engagement, the pinion wound the rats nest into mesh between it and the ring gear. There was only a small opening in the flywheel housing, but it was just the right size for a rat to squeeze through on a regular basis, using the chassis crossmember under the housing as a walkway.

One of the features of a Thruster is their simplicity. A collection of straight aluminium and steel tubes bolted together with mechanically tensioned skin bags (no glue). Disassembly, inspection for corrosion or cracking is easy. No places for rats to hide?. I am confident this thruster will live on just not with me, more to come.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Up date on title.

" Directions: From Yeoval take Renshaw McGirr Way towards Parkes for 4km. Turn left onto Carrolls Road. Follow road for 7.5km to Wallareen. Watch for red flags. "

Posted on fasbook market place, sale tomorrow.

spacesailoralt=thruster.jpghttps://www.recreationalflying.com/data/attachments/54/54477-c48d5617a70e6b62abae17d7e2cd6120.jpg[/img]

thruster.jpg.917812f252b060ad9fa641baa1b9f949.jpg

Will we get an update on how much it sold for ?.

Please.

spacesailor

Can't help you Spacesailor, I did not attend. One of our members was unsuccessful with a fixed bid unfortunately. The end.

Working yesterday, so couldn't attend. Put in a bid through a friend for $750, but apparently sold for $2500. Don't know whether that was without fees (although clearing sales are generally exempt from theft by "Buyers Premium") and GST.

David

• Informative 2

Was 2500 + gst - $2,750 all up.

I was not there and could not inspect. If the skins are as good as the seller said then that is a bargain. If it’s new skins and engine rebuild it’s pretty much on the money.

• Like 1