Belly landing in Brisbane

Can someone please explain why they don't land alongside on the grass in this situation? OK there are lights to watch out for but it seems so much more repairable & less likely to create combustion. Must be a good reason I'm not aware of.

The only reason I know of, is that the a Aircraft can flip, if it digs into the soft soil.

Theres also a lot of hard to see drainage ditches alongside the runway.

I dunno where they put it, so I didnt get a chance to go gave a look, but we were told at work it was a toll frieght metro returning from a maintenance check flight. (these details are worth what you paid for them, nothing. They may be incorrect.)

Guest pookemon

The AC that belly landed was a Toll Freight aircraft with Captain and Student on board according to this...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-15/plane-makes-emergency-landing-at-brisbane-airport/3830544

Edit: Was a Fairchild Metro... Wouldn't think that was a cargo a/c.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2012/aair/ao-2012-024.aspx

Bigger faster stuff would be better landing on the runway as they are touching down at 130 knots plus depending on configuration. Bumps are what they don't need. Landing alongside the runway there are taxiways and drainage ditches etc. Nev

Slides better on bitumen, particularly if they put down some foam.

If you loose a wheel or something in anything, stick to the hard surface. (from experience!)

• Like 2

The AC that belly landed was a Toll Freight aircraft with Captain and Student on board according to this...http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-15/plane-makes-emergency-landing-at-brisbane-airport/3830544

Edit: Was a Fairchild Metro... Wouldn't think that was a cargo a/c.

A Toll Metro visits Coffs every day on a run up the coast.

Sorry probably not worded too well. What I meant was there are quite a few drainage areas where pipes and ditches etc are alongside the runway (perpindicular) which are visible from where I work at the airport(only just visible though, if your stationary its easy but if you are driving along it can be hard to spot them. In our airside drivers licence test there was a section on not driving on the grass because of ditches and things you wouldnt notice when your moving), but would seem like being near impossible to see from the air (I very well may be wrong, they could be visible from the air, I obviously have never flown in to brisbane airport myself). I hope that makes more sense.

Slides better on bitumen, particularly if they put down some foam.If you loose a wheel or something in anything, stick to the hard surface. (from experience!)

what did you lose Tomo?

what did you lose Tomo?

Wheel on a car, years ago... a couple days after getting new tires fitted at the tire place... (didn't wreck much, good tough old XP)