Bit of fun

skippydiesel

Okay I know that I :

May never fit this

If I do its unnecessary

It may not work

If it does it will only prevent cosmetic dirty belly that may be better prevented by not putting so much oil in my engine.

Having got that out of the way - I now present my, under $10, Catch Can. Made from a spice shaker (from Woolies), beer can (donated by generous son), chemical spray fittings (local irrigation shop) & two sump plug washers.

The beer can is to act as a "baffle".

So light, kitchen scales unable to give a consistent value but well below 100 gms

My Rotax 912ULS does not require engine oil top up between services, so the capacity of the Can should be more than adequate.

IMG_0910.thumb.JPG.c9d07c1b6bd4bf277e9a6f30bbae2c27.JPG IMG_0911.thumb.JPG.4904c5ad7054186257a07fa9c9db50b0.JPG IMG_0909.thumb.JPG.f94161bc364d34b042b887baaa15a48d.JPG IMG_0912.thumb.JPG.7b26f431acca9348386d0fba69c1cc72.JPG IMG_0913.thumb.JPG.e10948465deea0ecd5ce1174aaf66664.JPG

I get the odd spot after service, hence my comments.

My engine runs perfectly - prop on the fine side to assist with STOL on home paddock, cruise 48-5200 rpm, 13L/hr, 100 - 110 knots, static rpm 5200 (tied to the fence), nil oil consumption - may find some to equal but not many better.

Love it.

Years ago....I had a very forty Alfa Romeo. Could be heard for miles at night. Alas a non deaf police patrol waited in anticipation and sprung on the Alfa.

The actually wanted to have a purve mainly. They did however laugh at the catch can, since I ran four pods on alloy ram tubes.

A bespoke stainless  bracket, tube and a Orchy juice bottle.

It worked fine..........

Fine was coming if I did not change it.

Some just don't appreciate quality engineering.

I see your son is a beer connoisseur ?

What do you expect, there was beer in the bloodstream at time of conception ....

Oh that reminds me, the other day I found this old picture of me when I was young ...

989509461_mewhenIwasyoung.jpg.097a0e1460144cc4883a99fa85fe64d4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • More 1

Thanks Litespeed - recon my version would work ??

Brilliant engineering always has its place.

But a German beer gives better quality. The Italian beers provide flair.

A English beer should never be drunk when doing electrics. Damn you Lord Lucas....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This discussion is a perennial one and the usual conclusion is "why would you put that $#!T back in the engine?" Catch it but don't use it.  Nev

I never reuse beer I have consumed. 

Oh........you meant oil?

Nah , if the Alfa decides she does not like that oil mist, who am I to argue. Never give her anything but fresh pure coarse plus. Her belly at 6.6 litres allows for lustful healthy thirst. 

I don't pee in a cup and then redrink it either.

• More 1

600W - !!!??? - just what is 600W Oil?

Steam cylinder oil is most frequently known as "600W" oil and can be or might not be compounded with other substances such as grease/graphite/beeswax. It barely pours at room temperature but is designed to be an adequate lubricant as it thins out at steam temperatures.

600W Oil was used in Model A transmissions, differentials and steering boxes when they were first manufactured. It was the oil weight of Henry's choice and it must have done its job as so many Model As have survived till today. With change in the industry, and with little in the way of a technical specification for the 600W oil and that Henry changed specifications as he developed newer cars, the original 600W oil became harder to find resulting in many car owners using any oil they could find. With these newer oils, people did often notice the puddles underneath their cars but they thought was normal for a Model A. The saying went “If it wasn’t leaking it must be empty.”

It is a mystery how or why the term "600W" became synonymous with Model A steering-gearbox differential lubrication. The only reference to "600" or "600W" that can be found in Model A Ford literature is on page 377 of the Service Bulletin where they are discussing the seven tooth steering system. On page 375 of the Service Bulletin they recommend M-533 lubricant for the transmission and differential whereas on page 216 Ford recommend simply "gear lubricant." As Model A’s started to go through restoration, it became apparent that the wrong grade of oil was being used. Transmissions and rear differentials were using 90 weight. People were putting grease in the steering boxes. These oils and greases were used in more modern cars. It was assumed new oils meant they were better.

Information on 600W Oil Everything  indicates 600W was mineral based gear oil. Early Model T data talks about 600W Steam Cylinder Oil, which research showed having a viscosity of ISO600/ 680. ISO 320 is equivalent to SAE 85W140, ISO 460 is equivalent to SAE 140, ISO 680-1000 is equivalent to SAE 250. The following are the IS0 600/680 equivalents: Mobil: Mobilgear 600 XP 680 BP: Energol GR-XP 680 Fuchs: Renolin CLP Gear Oil 680

• Like 1
  • Informative 4