Bolly Props?

nomadpete

Ok all youse Lightwing lovers. I got a problem with RAA. I am trying to re register my GA912. It is fitted with a Bolly Optima two blade prop. It was fitted by ALW and Howie claimed that it was approved. Of course there was no written approval. The problem is that Darren (tech mgr) wants a thousand dollars to consider my MARAP application. More recently Nick assured me (verbally) that somebody had recently got a MARAP through for Bolly prop on a Lightwing. He said it was achieved along with MARAP approval for retrofitting Fowler flaps to that aircraft.

Does anybody know if a MARAP has been done for alternate propellors on any Lightwing? Reference to one could save me a lot of money.

Thanks guys

I referred to a previous approval in my MARAP. However I don't have the specific details. It was only vague hearsay. That's why I'm broadcasting a request in case anyone knows a specific aircraft that I can refer to.

No, FT. As far as I can see, there is no member accessible database of MARAP's.

It seems that each MARAP is specific to the individual aircraft. For instance, if I get approval for a particular prop on my plane, it doesn't automatically follow that somebody else can use my MARAP to put the same prop onto their (similar) plane unless they submit their own MARAP application to RAA.

Having said that, if I can refer to a similar MARAP that was successful (same prop and aircraft type), it should streamline the process. At present I have been told that an engineer will have to be engaged at my expense, to verify that the new prop will be ok, then a flight test regime followed, before I can have a MARAP approved. It sounds like (although they didn't actually say), it is the old CAR35 process, and a Special Certificate of Airworthiness will be issued.

... if I can refer to a similar MARAP that was successful ...

Have you contacted Bolly about MARAP? seems like they could rubber stamp a bunch of aircraft based on their existing research

That's the best suggestion I could think of too - in my experience you'd be hard-pressed to find a more helpful and supportive couple of fellas than those at Bolly.

• Agree 2

Thanks all.

Just in passing, it seems that I am the first turkey that is jumping through the MARAP hoops to legally run a Bolly prop on a Rotax 912 powered Lightwing.

Ok all youse Lightwing lovers. I got a problem with RAA. I am trying to re register my GA912. It is fitted with a Bolly Optima two blade prop. It was fitted by ALW and Howie claimed that it was approved. Of course there was no written approval. The problem is that Darren (tech mgr) wants a thousand dollars to consider my MARAP application. More recently Nick assured me (verbally) that somebody had recently got a MARAP through for Bolly prop on a Lightwing. He said it was achieved along with MARAP approval for retrofitting Fowler flaps to that aircraft.Does anybody know if a MARAP has been done for alternate propellors on any Lightwing? Reference to one could save me a lot of money.

Thanks guys

Here is a image from the tech manual. Note Section 3. A marap list should be available.

Its annoying how slow marap is we have been waiting 11 months now for approval to fit a bolly onto a type certified Tecnam .

lightwing yes. Gazell has been approved for bolly and tecnam is on the way , but expect 12 months wait.!

The other question about marap is the fee structure. I cannot find out how this operates . For example if a marap is approved for a particular aircraft ie by its rego number. And the owner pays the fee. Plus cost of engineering, does that owner get a refund later when that marap approval is aplied to a second or third aircraft.

Come on Raaus be up front, publish the fee and cost structure and tell us how it works in terms of costs. I understand that variouse maraps will have different actual costs to do testing, but how does it work!

lightwing yes. Gazell has been approved for bolly and tecnam is on the way , but expect 12 months wait.!The other question about marap is the fee structure. I cannot find out how this operates . For example if a marap is approved for a particular aircraft ie by its rego number. And the owner pays the fee. Plus cost of engineering, does that owner get a refund later when that marap approval is aplied to a second or third aircraft.

Come on Raaus be up front, publish the fee and cost structure and tell us how it works in terms of costs. I understand that variouse maraps will have different actual costs to do testing, but how does it work!

You should contact the raa office the Tecnam have approval for the BOS 3 bolly prop my application has gone in I spoke to Jared on Wednesday last week