Broken hill and back

stevron

1/3/20 one lonely Brumby departed AlburyCity for a flight to Broken hill via Mungo and Menindee Lakes .

The flight to Hay NSW was smooth and at 2500’ we watched the ground go by , my passenger who has only had one flight before thought this smoothness is normal.

A top up of fuel at Hay and a quick walk around, YHAY terminal was clean and fresh this time , unlike the last visit.

Keeping at 2500’ to Mungo the air was remarkably smooth, the flight around the wall of clay and the sand dunes was scenic and a few photos taken. Off to Menindee ,we could hear the air traffic increase with the air waves becoming more active as the day unfolded.

The lakes looked as if they had a moisture in them but not much water. Over flying Broken hill to Silverton the wind started to pick up and the turbulence increase. The closer we got to the big wind farm at Silverton the turbulence seem to increase , I am not sure if they were the cause of some of additional turbulence. At Silverton we were looking for the Silverton airport only to find out there is not one but there is a Silver city air strip, so there you go, more poor planning. There seemed to be us and a loan Jab air Bourne at Broken hill , a strong Lefthand cross wind on on 04 got my passenger airworthiness experience heightened.

After the plane was tied down and the covers fitted into town we went for a cold drink or two . The total trip 4.5 hours with a 10 knot head wind. Monday morning we cancelled our Renmark leg and headed for home, via Hay for breakfast, then on to Albury all with again 10 knot head wind , 4 hour trip . It was unfortunate we could not tour longer but Albury to Broken hill for a overnight stay , beer and a steak was Fantastic and I rather do a quick scenic flight then sit at home growing older.

Edited by stevron
  • Like 6

Easier in an Auster. Once I had to have the plane held by two people in a strong wind in a DH 82. on landing into wind Can't recall HOW that was necessary, but it certainly was. Some weather event must have snuck up on me. I was young and foolish then. Nev

• Like 1