Brumby 610 24-8554 is Completed

poteroo

It's been a loooong haul but, it's flying, and half way home to WA. Currently 24-8554 is residing in Port Lincoln while we sort out a coolant system issue. If you're wondering why I'm back in Albany........well, I didn't allow enough time to accept the aircraft in Cowra, and then fly it home before I was due in hospital for cataract removal and lens implant surgery on 3rd March. Yes, I know the story about how many weeks to allow for these things - but I was optimistic!

I flew Cowra to Swan Hill on the 1st leg of the delivery flight using 5000 RPM for a TAS of around 100kts and 19LPH. Then, (to show my absolute confidence:fear:I tracked via offshore Goolwa to Kingscote to Althorpe Is to Wedge Is to Thistle Is, and into Port Lincoln. A lot of water, but Mr Rotax didn't know that. Just don't look down!

The aircraft is exactly what I wanted - a spacious training ship with a light BEW, and with improved creature comforts. It flys straight, is well balanced, and very quiet inside. The extra side venting is great - cool air even on the ground. We have put around 12 hrs TT on the aircraft and it's been good flying so far. We'll sort out the coolant issue - possibly a leaking radiator cap which is allowing air to suck into the system and so create overexpansion issues.

My eyes are done, and on the mend. Should have my full medicals back in 14 days.....then it's off to PLC to complete the job! Wish me luck! happy days,

1056455404_sideview.JPG.e6e4aecbd538fe2c7d9ee0ff9de610f9.JPG

504737303_LHfrontcloserwithdooropen.JPG.e0a1b7b85b4fa7d45a1449194dc2abb1.JPG

745245418_instpanelfromLHS.JPG.cd8337fca89fdb889e7f65e90f318e5b.JPG

1140759250_LHfrontwithdooropen.JPG.746e039592d62521cab26cc3b2e78e09.JPG

• Like 12
  • Winner 2

I've done Pt Lincoln to Wedge, Thistle, Kangaroo Is, Goolwa, Murray Bridge in a Jabiru!! The whole time thinking please don't stop, please don't stop :) I really like the Brumby too since I flew a 600 low wing in Cowra last year - great sturdy plane.

It's been a loooong haul but, it's flying, and half way home to WA. Currently 24-8554 is residing in Port Lincoln while we sort out a coolant system issue. If you're wondering why I'm back in Albany........well, I didn't allow enough time to accept the aircraft in Cowra, and then fly it home before I was due in hospital for cataract removal and lens implant surgery on 3rd March. Yes, I know the story about how many weeks to allow for these things - but I was optimistic!I flew Cowra to Swan Hill on the 1st leg of the delivery flight using 5000 RPM for a TAS of around 100kts and 19LPH. Then, (to show my absolute confidence:fear:I tracked via offshore Goolwa to Kingscote to Althorpe Is to Wedge Is to Thistle Is, and into Port Lincoln. A lot of water, but Mr Rotax didn't know that. Just don't look down!

The aircraft is exactly what I wanted - a spacious training ship with a light BEW, and with improved creature comforts. It flys straight, is well balanced, and very quiet inside. The extra side venting is great - cool air even on the ground. We have put around 12 hrs TT on the aircraft and it's been good flying so far. We'll sort out the coolant issue - possibly a leaking radiator cap which is allowing air to suck into the system and so create overexpansion issues.

My eyes are done, and on the mend. Should have my full medicals back in 14 days.....then it's off to PLC to complete the job! Wish me luck! happy days,

Well done! What a great looking aircraft.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. The aircraft has a BEW of 368 kgs, and a full fuel capacity of 130L (94kg). So, it has a usable load of 138 kg with full tanks. I kept weight down by staying with smaller tyres, reduced analog instruments, and no autopilots. The add ons can run away from you with LSA - you have to be disciplined.

For training, I plan to run it with approx. 60L fuel, (43kg), which will allow me 2 x 1hr sessions plus reserves, and to cope with a student of reasonable mass. I'm 73kg, so available student load would be around 116kg. I'm sure even that weight will fit into the Brumby, but I'm thinking along the lines of making it a max seat weight of 100 kgs - for reasons other than weight per se. A bit tough perhaps, but then the 4 past students that I couldn't accommodate in the J160 were physically unable to operate controls, much less fit comfortably into the aircraft.

I welcome anyone in WA dropping into Albany for a better look at the Brumby.

happy days,

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Wing struts and fittings are more substantial than a C180 according to the Brumby guys - if the whole aircraft is built to that standard should last for quite a while.

Wing struts and fittings are more substantial than a C180 according to the Brumby guys - if the whole aircraft is built to that standard should last for quite a while.

Actually, I chose it because of the cabin comfort. When you are going to spend lots of hours at generally low altitudes, often in rough air - you need a comfortable environment. That's where this aircraft, IMHO, is well out in front - lots of space, good ventilation, good visibility, go0d seats, good stability, and it's quiet.

Don't know about it being stronger than the C180/185 airframe though. Those aircraft are tough! But, students can break most things....so, we'll see if it's true after the Brumby fleet clock up a few thousand instructional hours. (I'm always reminded about the word 'unbreakable' when recalling a PNG story from the 60's. It only took a few weeks for for very unsophisticated workers at one patrol post to successfully break a blacksmiths anvil! )

happy days,

• 2 weeks later...

It's Home in Hangar 23 at Last

Landed in Albany 2.20pm on 24th March. Except for a couple of small niggles, it's flying well. After 15 months without a revenue earning FTF aircraft - we are finally back in business! happy days,

IMG_0755.JPG.901ca7726830ad6693781e96aa459731.JPG

• Winner 2

It's Home in Hangar 23 at Last

Landed in Albany 2.20pm on 24th March. Except for a couple of small niggles, it's flying well. After 15 months without a revenue earning FTF aircraft - we are finally back in business! happy days,

Can you put the end to end track up so us mere mortals can study it as we plan a plunder on CAGIT. Best wishes with the folding stuff, you have a nice little strip down there in Albany.

Can you put the end to end track up so us mere mortals can study it as we plan a plunder on CAGIT. Best wishes with the folding stuff, you have a nice little strip down there in Albany.

See the thread 'Perth Trip' under Trips/Events for some current details.

happy days,

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic news. Congratulations. You have been waiting a while. I viewed another happy customers High wing at the Air Show. It was a very nicely finished Aircraft and the owner was very happy with his purchase. From the photos you posted the overall finish of yours also looks good. I have watched some fantastic flying weather come and go since we ordered our 610 which has been frustrating. I travel to Cowra this Saturday to view the fuselage / undercarriage, it seems that the Fuel Inj Rotax has now been fitted along with the Avionics initial fitting to check that everything is fitted in its rightful place. Apparently it is my last chance to make any changes, I hope we have it all ok. After a few consultations with other club members I decided to go predominately Dynon. Hopefully ours will be ready to fly away around September. Cheers RJ

Fantastic news. Congratulations. You have been waiting a while. I viewed another happy customers High wing at the Air Show. It was a very nicely finished Aircraft and the owner was very happy with his purchase. From the photos you posted the overall finish of yours also looks good. I have watched some fantastic flying weather come and go since we ordered our 610 which has been frustrating. I travel to Cowra this Saturday to view the fuselage / undercarriage, it seems that the Fuel Inj Rotax has now been fitted along with the Avionics initial fitting to check that everything is fitted in its rightful place. Apparently it is my last chance to make any changes, I hope we have it all ok. After a few consultations with other club members I decided to go predominately Dynon. Hopefully ours will be ready to fly away around September. Cheers RJ

G'day RJ,

What's your serial #? Mine was #036, and it took longer than I'd care to admit to take delivery. I say this with some circumspection because the factory is probably getting better at production. I guess that when the Chinese production line begins to flow, and the built up airframes begin to arrive in Cowra, things may speed up.

By now, I'd say the early 'bugs' in the Rotax 912iS should have been sorted. The only problem that I know of is that it cannot be matched to the 'older' Dynon EFIS & EMS such as the D100, D120 or D180 models because these do not have CAN technology in them. The Skyview does. So, you're up for a few more shekels but at least you can have integrated GPS, Mode S, a Dynon VHF COM, and even a Dynon intercom.

I asked for a couple of extra items on mine.

1.I have had small NACA air inlets fitted forward of each door, and these feed outside air into the cabin from around knee level - lower would be even better. With these variable inlets open, you can close off the noisy face level screw vents in the side Perspex - helps to not have air blasting over your mic. I'd be surprised if these don't become standard.

2.I also had an Anderson plug fitted so that the engine can be 'jump' started in event of weak battery in cold weather. It is located on the firewall aft of the nosewheel - allowing for it to be disconnected, (safely), after the engine is started. Sure beats pulling cowls off!

3. The factory fitted an LED 'landing light' to the nosewheel frame and it works well as a recognition light in the circuit.

4. I also had 2 red LED beacons fitted - rather than white strobes - because they can be operated in dispersal areas, and create no radio noise. Good for my case where I'm traversing a high security area on a full security RPT airport.

There are a few other points that I'd rather not disclose here - you can call me on 0427 200673 for a chat if you like. cheers,

I visited the brumby factory in Cowra two weeks ago I was impressed lots of aircraft being built and was given a bit of a tour even though I turned up out of the blue .

Hi Poteroo, I will give you a call. Serial No-044. Avionics...I priced in the latest Dynon re what you recommended plus a bit more, and an Anderson plug also, I might as well spend the shekels now as I sure dont wont be making too many changes down the track. Interesting about the strobes, I'll look into that and the knee high air inlets also. I liked your comments re weight. I have a sheep paddock hence the larger wheels. As for other extras, well I could do with losing a few Kg and this may be the catalyst.

I too will be getting about locally with about 70L and only top up to its max allowable weight on longer trips. Its all a bit of a trade off. I'm fairly sure I will go for VH Reg. Ivé just recently obtained my CASA License and have also secured for 12 Months the Regó...WCX

Nice to hear ozbear's snippet re the factory tour and what he observed.

Cheers RJ

I have a sheep paddock hence the larger wheels

You should really avoid anything larger than 6.00 size. Using them instead of 5.00 adds around 4-5 kgs I think, but going to 7.00 or 8.00 really does pile on the kgs.

Interested to hear how things progress, cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Flew a photo-shoot today over Albany City, harbour and King George Sound. Photo aircraft was a C172 and we did it all at 75 KIAS and 2500 ft.

817465168_Brumby24-8554overbluegumplantationsnrAlbanyAirportWA.JPG.fef0fec3cc5c49711263fd2bf5e2799c.JPG

1105325656_Brumby24-8554overKingGeorgeSoundAlbanyWA.JPG.f9292069bb594723279fe779476fb480.JPG

1471659449_Brumby24-8554overEmuPointAlbanyWA.JPG.e028ff13e782b5dac530f81d628a5a40.JPG

517277619_Brumby24-8554incloseechelonrightwithC172PRZnrAlbanyAirportWA.JPG.5053ca5807cfdf460893c0a46c278362.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks for posting the fantastic photos. Up to now there has not been a lot of good quality "Airborne" Brumby photos out there. Both the Aircraft and scenery are very impressive. Albany and surrounding areas are definitely on my to visit list.

Cheers RJ

PS...Any chance of posting a YouTube video with a Go Pro inside the cockpit / combined windscreen shots of the King George Sound if you can get hold of a camera.

I'm sure there would be many hits around Aus and world wide.

Thanks for posting the fantastic photos. Up to now there has not been a lot of good quality "Airborne" Brumby photos out there. Both the Aircraft and scenery are very impressive. Albany and surrounding areas are definitely on my to visit list.Cheers RJ

PS...Any chance of posting a YouTube video with a Go Pro inside the cockpit / combined windscreen shots of the King George Sound if you can get hold of a camera.

I'm sure there would be many hits around Aus and world wide.

A few more. Eventually plan to mount Go-Pro to record individual flights for students - waiting for factory to fix a safe hard point in cabin roof. Cautious about anything other than a Velcro fix atm.

925817833_Brumby24-8554overKingGeorgeSoundharbourinforegrnd.AlbanyWA.JPG.67c0e6291d0d11b4537a7e9753c29fca.JPG

236323757_Brumby24-8554overoldquarantinestnFrenchmanBayinbackgrndK.G.SndtoLeftharbourtort.JPG.74b2de86b72acb12782a487ba6855562.JPG

429340793_Brumby24-8554overnewAnzaccentreonMtAdelaideKingGeoSndharbourentrancerhs..JPG.1497ab928dd4ffbbde4b1b6e402ac4f5.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Learning More About the Brumby

Have had -8554 out on a number of local grass strips to try techniques for short-field take-off and landings, and also how best to handle it with crosswinds. This info just doesn't arrive with the manufacturers' POH - it has to be derived from experience with the aircraft. In time, I hope that Brumby develop a set of 'handling' notes which will prove instructive to new owners and school pilots too. My intention is to contribute to this as best I can.

Half flap, (15 deg = full down aileron deflection - but it's also installed in the Dynon D-180 EFIS), looks to be desirable for takeoff on softer surface strips. However, it will actually levitate with full flap, and I'm thinking this might be an approach on a really soft surface. (You are probably tempting fate if you need to go this far!).

This aircraft has really good short take-off capability. In the 15 deg flap config, I'm probably only taking 80-120m to be off and climbing. I'm flying by the time 30-35 ias shows. Sure, there's a squeak from the sw, but that's what you need to hear for short field work. Full flap + 50 ias on short final results in a rapid deceleration in an abbreviated roundout.

Rudder is far more powerful than aileron in this aircraft - just take a look at its' size. In crosswinds above 12-15 kts, aileron feels a bit limiting on landing if the speed is allowed to decay below 50 kts. It seems that nil flap might be better in crosswinds over 15-18 kts - but I've yet to really explore this. (POH says 12 max). What I've longsince found is that you can accept more 'crosswind' if you are prepared to takeoff or land more 'into wind' by taking a diagonal line. This is true for any aircraft - but with those having vg short field qualities - it's possible to employ in most locations. Solves many x/w situations.

happy days,

1162276370_Brumby24-8554shortfieldtakeoffusing15degflapCoxallsNarrikupWA.JPG.fa1d84919387abda003dd42d50b86f69.JPG

993181607_Brumby24-8554flaringin10ktsxwCoxallsnarrikupWA.JPG.b24afdf404da174ede3b7e07033a1502.JPG

615125108_Brumby24-8554XWtakeoff8ktsfromLHS.JPG.43ee66e310522f9e42d859c3394fd92f.JPG

1936044814_Brumby24-8554landingthruthetreelinegapstrip24CoxallsNarrikupWA.JPG.1795dc10f04940838dcdea9de3a3cbd0.JPG

1537237343_Brumby24-8554Landing06atCoxalls(Narrikup).JPG.527ab055a2326cd8e3dadd2885fd1092.JPG

1010092993_Brumby24-8554rollingout24CoxallsNarrikupWA.JPG.f51a3bf97522c4ca4a13ccde977095ea.JPG

• Informative 2