Brumby A/C

Guest studentbiggles

Guest studentbiggles
002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif Guys, doing some researching on the Brumby A/C.....Anyone out there who owns and flys one?? Gorgeous little A/C but I need to find out the real issues...ie, Cost of new purchase, running costs, insurance etc. etc, before I Email company for all their details.....I've narrowed the search down to either a Jabbi or Brumby because they both suit my needs.......Speak up and pass on your thoughts please:scratch head: Cheers Studentbiggles

Can't say I know the Brumby much, but the Morgan Aeroworks Cheetah has remarkably similair specifications, but seems to have a slightly higher cruise (110kts on 85hp, compared to the brumby's 110kts on 100hp). Slartibartfast may be able to give you more details if you are interested.

Just to spread your options out a little more. :-p

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

*Edit* I seem to have slagged off the Brumby a bit... the 110kts cruise was on a Rotax 912 (80hp). My bad

Yep indeed. The Morgan offerings seem to be much better aircraft.

An all-metal Cheetah (mine's half fabric) with a 4 cyl Jab will stack up well against a Brumby and is much cheaper.

If you want 100hp, go for the Sierra (135kn cruise) or Cougar (yet to fly). Still awesome value against a Brumby.

The Brumbies seem pretty good too, but you should be aware of the options.

Had a fly in a Brumby back in June very nice couldn't pick any faults with it.The guys at the factory are very helpful, you can also buy a quick build kit or you can buy it in stages.

Brumby.

Different build technique. The Brumby is welded Chromemoly tube fuselage and aluminium wing skinned and tail feathers, as well. It was built with school use in mind and I think it scales in at about 340 Kg empty. There is a high wing version being produiced with a lot of parts in common. The increased AUW would have been very advantageous for this aircraft. It had engine options including the Continental 0-200D and the Lycoming 0-233.as well as Jab 85 hp and rotax. Like the lightwing speed a bit of a casualty of the weight limit. Check these figures with the builders.nev

Guest Maj Millard

A great little aeroplane that further demonstrates we have the ability to create real nice designs in this country. AND they offer engine choices !!.....Can't wait to see their high wing........................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I heard a rumour around the EAAers that maybe the Oshkosh Express will be happening for the 2010 Airventure. Be really great to be able to take our Aussie designs and show em off.

Guest studentbiggles

A big 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif and :thumb_up: to all you guys for posting all your valued info on the Brumby.......But I'd like to know if anybody does "The Price"!!!!!!exclamation.gif.7a55ce2d2271ca43a14cd3ca0997ad91.gif or ball park figure of please. What I like about this particular A/C compared to the Jabbi is that I'm not that tall and adjustable seats are a big plus:thumb_up: The unrestricted view of the canopy, low wing and the A/C could be used as a trainer......And guys compared to the Sportstar and the Texan how does it also hold up? Feed back please all you knowledgable Aviators?i_dunno Cheers Alley (Studentbiggles)

A big 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif and :thumb_up: to all you guys for posting all your valued info on the Brumby.......But I'd like to know if anybody does "The Price"!!!!!!exclamation.gif.7a55ce2d2271ca43a14cd3ca0997ad91.gif or ball park figure of please. What I like about this particular A/C compared to the Jabbi is that I'm not that tall and adjustable seats are a big plus:thumb_up: The unrestricted view of the canopy, low wing and the A/C could be used as a trainer......And guys compared to the Sportstar and the Texan how does it also hold up? Feed back please all you knowledgable Aviators?i_dunno Cheers Alley (Studentbiggles)

HI mate, They start at $132 000 with the jabbi engine. Around $136 500 with 912. The io-233 lycomimg is a bit more, the first price is correct about a month ago, the others is a guess, but close to ball park figures. I looked at buying one, but with a cronic hangar shortage within a hours drive of the gold coast, im looking at the eurofox with easy wing folding. Anyway, i like like the sportstar, contary to popular believe, it also stands up well to a roll over, well the new one does anyway(can of worms). It is also made of 2024 instead of 6061. Better corrosion resistance apparently, the joints are bonded as well as riveted. They also have put their balls on the line and have given a airframe life of around (from their harmony project)14000 hours., give or take. I hope this helps. Brumbie is also a good a/c, it is solid rivetted in structural areas im lead to beleive.PM me if you want on more specific details.

• 3 months later...

Actually 6061 is much more resistant to corrosion than 2024.

2024 is about 25% stronger and makes for a lighter aircraft than 6061 but has copper in it's alloy. Avaition 2024 is usually coated with pure aluminum, but needs protection any time you break this coating. eg: rivet holes.

Guys, We own the aircraft featured in the video on the Brumby site 19-5364 and it has been a terrific aircraft. It was number 3 out of the factory and yes the undercarriage legs have been changed from the original design and all the aircraft since have the stronger legs. To me the best indication of how good this aeroplane is that my wife who had no interest in aircraft prior now has a licence and fly's on a very regular basis to the point of claiming the aircraft as her own.

Regards, Tony.

If anyone would like to know anymore about the Brumby ask away.I work at brumby aircraft Austraila so if you need to or want to know i can help you.Daniel

Hi Daniel, have you guys installed a I0-233, in one yet ? :wave:I have the costings etc, but i was wondering has anyone ordered one with that engine, i heard through the grape vine that the LYC wasnt approved as yet.Could you clarify this please.

• 4 months later...
Hi Daniel, have you guys installed a I0-233, in one yet ? :wave:I have the costings etc, but i was wondering has anyone ordered one with that engine, i heard through the grape vine that the LYC wasnt approved as yet.Could you clarify this please.

Hi mate

No we have not yet installed the IO-233 yet.We would like someone to place a order with that engine combo.Yes last we heard that the LYC wouldnt be approved till end of the year.

Daniel

The Brumby Aircraft

Gooday all

I have a brumby for 3.5 years now and have over 900 hours in flying time.

Part of my employment is inspecting housing through out NSW. I land in paddocks, dirt stips and use the plane as a work horse. I love it and its a plesure to fly.

Danny and the guys at Brumby aviation are helpfull. I havent had any problems and will be up dating next year to a new model Brumby.

Mine cruses with a Jab 3300 @115kts, 2750 rpm @19ltrs.

If any one needs any info please contact me

Yours in flying

Mick 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Gooday all I have a brumby for 3.5 years now and have over 900 hours in flying time.

Part of my employment is inspecting housing through out NSW. I land in paddocks, dirt stips and use the plane as a work horse. I love it and its a plesure to fly.

Danny and the guys at Brumby aviation are helpfull. I havent had any problems and will be up dating next year to a new model Brumby.

Mine cruses with a Jab 3300 @115kts, 2750 rpm @19ltrs.

If any one needs any info please contact me

Yours in flying

Mick 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Hi Mick - Good report; thanks. So you have had no issues with your 3300 engine in those 900 hours? Just regular servicing? I ask because apparently Brumby are not using Jab motors any more.. We have 2 3300s and a 2200 with no issues so far, so I wonder why they dont like them.

Gooday Chris

Regular servicing is the secret I change the oil every 25 hours.

As a reformed mechanic my moto is, Its cheaper to replace the oil & Filter than replace the motor.

I just had a top end overhall done @ 750hours.

As for the Brumby not supplying Jab motors

I beleve you can still order one but you will have to pay for the R & R and freight if they fail.

Danny may be able to answer that question.

One of our club members is on her 3rd New Jab 3300 motor in less than 40 hours she's not that impressed with there motors.

Look forward to catch with up on your next open day.

Yours in flying

Mick

Gooday Chriss.

As for the Brumby not supplying Jab motors

I beleve you can still order one but you will have to pay for the R & R and freight if they fail.

One of our club members is on her 3rd New Jab 3300 motor in less than 40 hours she's not that impressed with there motors.

Look forward to catch with up on your next open day.

Yours in flying

Mick

I guess that should read when and not if they fail...

What were the failures?new engines or repaired?

Somethings very wrong for that to happen

Hi

The first new engine run for about 30min andthen when we removed the cowls and doing checks when we seen paint peeling from one barrel.When we removed the paint it was blue fom heat.

This was also making a noise as well on that cylinder.So was replaced

Next engine

We repalced engine with another new engine that jab supplied and it lasted 15-20 hours and then one day in downwind the engine made loud bang and the prop stoped.

After a forced landing i went to retreive the plane and the engine had locked up.

I then removed plugs from engine to find a smashed plug.We are not sure what happend in the end with the engine Jab replaced with another new one.We think a piston let go or a rod.

After a few phone calls to Jab they then told us that they had changed there piston supplier.