Building a Colonial MK II Viper - Life Size.

G'day all, new here and joined in the hopes you mob might know some stuff and perhaps help.

(If the moderators think it more appropriate elsewhere on the forum, I'm happy for them to move it.)

I'm looking to identify and source the MATCHING instruments in the cockpit of my Colonial Viper MK II, aiming for screen accuracy. To create the mock-up for the 2003 Battlestar Galactica series, the producers used real-world instruments from a variety of aircraft.

To illustrate that I am serious about my inquiry, here's where I'm at so far with my life-sized build.

UJRxYgs.jpg?1

When I first started making things, I was often greeted with, "yeah right" whenever I spoke of them. Not any more...

Builds by Baz

I've sourced photographs of the particular model (2003) and variant of cockpit from google image searching and some fan-based websites to help me complete what they started.

I've ID'd most of them and have collected three. (King Radio KR80 ADF, turn indicator and altimeter.)

Not only do I have to ID the rest, but SOURCE them. The instruments don't need to be in working condition as it's only for looks, so if anyone has any of these and would like to put your junk to good use, please send them my way. Happy to cover postage and a beer or two.

Here's what I've got so far... Labelled. I've indicated the ones that I have already received.

1AOxhJT.jpg

The problem I have, is most of the pics I am working from are not very clear. Other problems of specificity are things like the oil gauges, colour, numeric range and orientation. The oil gauge at the bottom right is sideways, but for the life of me I can't find one the same on the net.

Here's a few reference pictures with gauges to identify and source.

gQ4kktN.jpg?2

iS6WtiT.jpg?2

fsq1hu7.png?1

These are not instruments I know, but wondering if they are also from the aviation industry or something else entirely.

CKE1i8a.jpg?1

kHAyMOq.jpg?1

In this last one, disregard the thin red circles and just concentrate on the thick red circle.

See how the gauge is side oriented? Every other I find is facing up instead of the side.

e6T46k5.jpg?2

• Like 2

Try eBay in the US, old avionics is sold by the pound over there

Yeah I've found a few there. Much of which is still functioning and priced accordingly. Added to that, the international shipping kills it. Thanks for your suggestion.

LOL! Pilots must be rich.... ;) :PI'll give that a go. Thanks again.

Baz.

Not all pilots, FT just has a funny way of being helpful sometimes.

Starting this thread here will be a good start, this site reaches a wide audience of interesting folks who have interesting nicknacks stashed away. Patience is the key, it can take a while but at least you have set the ball rolling. Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

Not all pilots, FT just has a funny way of being helpful sometimes.Starting this thread here will be a good start, this site reaches a wide audience of interesting folks who have interesting nicknacks stashed away. Patience is the key, it can take a while but at least you have set the ball rolling. Good luck with your search.

Thanks mate. My thoughts exactly with ball rolling and patience. Have to get the word out somewhere. This seemed like a good place to start.

Baz.

• Like 1

Baz - Google Images is your friend .... those square illuminated push-button switches look very aviation-related ....

illuminated aviation push buttons - Google Search

You could also try the websites of Element 14 and RS Online, for new switches that actually work .... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Type in a search term (such as "illuminated switch") ,and you'll get a big list of new switches that cover a multitude of shapes and designs.

Then, if you don't want to pay for new switches, you get the P/No, and go looking for that P/No, used, on the likes of eBay (the U.S. eBay site has a huge amount of stuff).

http://au.element14.com

RS Australia | World Leading Distributor of Electronics, Electromechanical and Industrial Components

Oh that's just awesome, the Aliens who constantly monitor us suddenly see that we are building an attack vehicle and take pre-emptive action against us, thanks for bring planet Earth to a premature ending when we were bringing it about just fine by ourselves.

Thanks very much.

• Haha 3

Oh that's just awesome, the Aliens who constantly monitor us suddenly see that we are building an attack vehicle and take pre-emptive action against us, thanks for bring planet Earth to a premature ending when we were bringing it about just fine by ourselves.Thanks very much.

Nah... it's a Mark II he's building... they'll just think we're a bit behind the times, down the road at Proxima Centauri they're flying Mark VII's.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ha! Ha! I love that upside-down air regulator and drain bowl, with the drain plumbed into the circuits!

You probably need a diesel engine primary fuel filter and bowl mounted upside down, and plumbed in the same way, too! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.045ea30218c055c2781fc6f7d18be527.gif

Good work, there, Baz - she looks like she's already been around the Universe twice! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.045ea30218c055c2781fc6f7d18be527.gif

Yeah, the production crew just packed in anything and everything that looked a bit tech to the untrained eye. Look at how the instruments are mounted for example. The average non aviator wouldn't notice.

I got the top engine and top wing back on today, now with the engine mechanical installed. Final detailing can be done while it's up there.

FlY6XSz.jpg?1

iVv3zSI.jpg?1

• Like 1