Bushbaby, Explorer and Safari Aircraft

Kitplanes

Hi Guys,

We are the manufacturers of the Bushbaby, Explorer and Safari range of aircraft. We have 10 planes flying in Australia at the moment and I thought to start this thread to answer any support questions that might pop up._NP_9482_4784.jpg.f2d6ca89c4ef8659586561736371b038.jpg

For more info and some videos you can have a look at our websites www.saplanes.co.za and www.fun2fly.co.za

Safe flying.

Regards

Stefan

_NP_1889_7194.jpg.5abba0b2f1096a445d512dd41e477ad3.jpg

• Like 3

The BMW works well if installed professionally and using tried and tested systems with it. The ignition system was developed from scratch by a SA engineer and homebuilder. This included the hardware and software for this engine. The gearbox was a take off gearbox that was slightly modified for better longivity. It is a good alternative and the price is about 50% of a Rotax, fully installed.

The BMW works well if installed professionally and using tried and tested systems with it. The ignition system was developed from scratch by a SA engineer and homebuilder. This included the hardware and software for this engine. The gearbox was a take off gearbox that was slightly modified for better longivity. It is a good alternative and the price is about 50% of a Rotax, fully installed.

What are the overhaul hours of the BMW R1200? (Rotax = 2,000 hrs)

TBO is 1500 hr's to be safe but can be extended to 2000. If you think about it, the average GA pilot fly's about 35-50 hr's per year. so even if you work on 100hr's you will still fly for 15 years.

Thanks. The vids were taken in the Mpumalanga lowveld, adjacent to the Kruger National Park. Some shots were of the nortehrn shores of Kwazulu Natal close to Kosi Bay.

TBO is 1500 hr's to be safe but can be extended to 2000. If you think about it, the average GA pilot fly's about 35-50 hr's per year. so even if you work on 100hr's you will still fly for 15 years.

Do you have a link to the details/specifications of this motor?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Stefan

Can the Explorer or Safari (i.e. home-built Kit) be registered in Australia with a 600 KG MTOW? I'm not too clued up on the regs but I assume that would/could be an experimental E-LSA? Are there any that are currently registered in Australia?

Hi StefanCan the Explorer or Safari (i.e. home-built Kit) be registered in Australia with a 600 KG MTOW? I'm not too clued up on the regs but I assume that would/could be an experimental E-LSA? Are there any that are currently registered in Australia?

Hi,

The mods gave me a grilling so not sure if I am permitted to answer but here goes. Yes, the Explorer is limited to 600kg while the Safari can be either LSA (600kg) or VLA (700kg), the planes are identical. In South Africa it is the builder who decides in which catergory to register the aircraft. Hope this answers your question.

Do you have a link to the details/specifications of this motor?

No Sorry, you are on your own there. We supply the firewall forward hardware with a kit but the rest is up to the homebuilder to decide what to do check out the Sa microlighters website there are 2 threads that you can read with tons of info http://www.microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8397 and http://www.microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13393

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi Mark, sorry I didn't see your post until now. It is being built in Mount Crosby. A UL Engine is going in it.David

Hi David,

Could you please ask the builder to drop me a mail. There is some upgrades he can do himself that will improve the handling of the plane. Especially with the UL upfront.

regards

Stefan

• 1 year later...

If anybody is interested in speaking to a builder in Australia that is assembling an Explorer then please contact me at the factory or pm me. He is in Angle Vale and is open to receiving calls regarding the build. He will be posting his progress here soon.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

If anybody is interested in speaking to a builder in Australia that is assembling an Explorer then please contact me at the factory or pm me. He is in Angle Vale and is open to receiving calls regarding the build. He will be posting his progress here soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just back in Alice after a couple of weeks in central NT with no coverage. Yes I am building an Explorer and welcome contact from anyone interested in building a rag and tube airplane. Im no expert but I can't believe how easy it is to build. The kit is coming along nicely, I'm on day 15 now ( when I get back home in about another week ) and the wing dry fitting has been completed. Then the wings are to be removed and engine and instruments dry fitted. If my work with the mining company holds off I'm sure the covering would only be weeks away. What I really like is being able to tailor the Explorer to suit myself, already I am adding extra fuel tanks and a larger roof window, pic below. Stefan from KFA is a world of info and answers any build questions immediately.

Steve

image.jpg.b72265a20c8214c27cf6fe6c1159b8c1.jpg

Hi guys, just back in Alice after a couple of weeks in central NT with no coverage. Yes I am building an Explorer and welcome contact from anyone interested in building a rag and tube airplane. Im no expert but I can't believe how easy it is to build. The kit is coming along nicely, I'm on day 15 now ( when I get back home in about another week ) and the wing dry fitting has been completed. Then the wings are to be removed and engine and instruments dry fitted. If my work with the mining company holds off I'm sure the covering would only be weeks away. What I really like is being able to tailor the Explorer to suit myself, already I am adding extra fuel tanks and a larger roof window, pic below. Stefan from KFA is a world of info and answers any build questions immediately.Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting. I had a couple of guys contact me asking if you are going to document the build here. I am glad you did. looks like you are coming along nicely. Keep those pics coming.