Bushcat LSA by SkyReach

joerow

Checked the demonstrator at Narromine, Looks like a well engineered aircraft and should be fun to fly.I recall hearing a kit build time of 120 Hours, that may of been the time it took to put the demonstrator together for Narromine. Apart from drooling on it no other experiance with them. I believe its the same distributors based at Heck Feild Jacobs Well (GAP Aero)that sell the Sling models. The

Sling & the Bushcat both from The Aircraft Factory in South Africa. cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I have test flown the Bushcat and was impressed enough that I put a deposit down on a kit

Marty, GAP are dealers for Sling and Bushcat. Both are from Sert Efrica but they are different companies. Once I get mine I will start a build thread here. Unfortunately as you can imagine there is not much shipping direct from South Africa to Australia so it will be 3 months shipping. The wait is going to drive me nuts!  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
I like the look, especially the taildragger configuration. Where is the Fuel tank, in the wings?

Tank is behind the seats. The design ethos is to keep things as simple as possible. That is the simplest position which also means you don’t need a fuel gauge :)

The downside of course is luggage capacity is lower than if the tanks are in the wings. But I’m happy enough with how it is.

• Like 1

Just talked to the distributor. He isn’t too concerned about Australia. It’s the USA that will have the biggest headache because the max stall requirement there is 42 knots so until there is a fix they have to impose a mtow of 510kg. But In Australia its 45 and the Bushcat just scrapes in so it can remain at 560.

I will definitely try harder to keep the weight down in light of this. It’s disappointing though because the previous model was 38 knots.

Will find out tomorrow when the kits ship

• Like 1
  • More 1
  • Caution 1

Just talked to the distributor. He isn’t too concerned about Australia. It’s the USA that will have the biggest headache because the max stall requirement there is 42 knots so until there is a fix they have to impose a mtow of 510kg. But In Australia its 45 and the Bushcat just scrapes in so it can remain at 560.I will definitely try harder to keep the weight down in light of this. It’s disappointing though because the previous model was 38 knots.

Will find out tomorrow when the kits ship

Hi Danny What is the empty weight of the completed aircraft you have ordered? That's very interesting about the previous model stall at 38 knots and the new model is in the 45 kts range. It would appear that more development of the design is required. Look forward to your build forum. I have built a Skyranger Nynja that is a similar type of construction and as they are a development over 25 plus years and hit there advertised numbers on the bulls eye. Best Regards Mike

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I believe it's 320kg. The Bushcat is the improved version of the Cheetah, and the Cheetah was derived from the Skyranger so it's no coincidence they are similar! Bushcat is built around the Rotax 912 though and I believe the Skyranger was built with smaller engines in mind so I would guess the Skyranger would be well under 300kg?

• Informative 1

I am confused.

Did a "previous model" of this aircraft stall at 38 knots? Or did the same aircraft just have it's paperwork rewritten more accurately to indicate it's differing performance figures to those published? Did you order a Mk1 Bushcat? Or a Mk2 Bushcat? Or did the Mk1 become a Mk2 on paper?

I believe it's 320kg. The Bushcat is the improved version of the Cheetah, and the Cheetah was derived from the Skyranger so it's no coincidence they are similar! Bushcat is built around the Rotax 912 though and I believe the Skyranger was built with smaller engines in mind so I would guess the Skyranger would be well under 300kg?

The Nynja is 290kg with 912ULS2 (100hp). Yes the Nynja was the latest in the line and goes great with the 100 hp up front. Its 540 kg MTOW but always need to read that as 250 useful loading (Pax, fuel baggage etc.) I always explain that to people who comment about it not having 600 kg approved etc.

I look forward to you log and what the kit parts look like as it looks a fast build kit. Enjoy and have fun with the build as its great to know the inside workings of your aircraft. Cheers Mike

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Im also looking at the Bushcat taildragger,, Im a little skeptical at the moment regarding stated performance, took one out for a test flight yesterday and loved it, 70/80 knts doors off

stall clean around 40, 1 notch and 2 notch no different at 36ish. very very comfortable , i am 6ft 110kg and it was the most comfortable plane Ive flown !!

Erol tells me that all the new models come with VGs which will lower the stall speed by 8 knts !!!!

However, Im not trusting too much about what the manufacturer says,, Im based at Heck field and know Erol very well, he is a really nice bloke and most if not all that he has stated has been true,

but also a salesman with a business to run.

If I order it will be very nice to know that there are people around me building at the same time.

Decisions Decisions, Im also looking at the Savanaha VG XLW

Found this info below too, all for now. Mike

Bushcat/Cheetah

I’ve installed your VGs on my Bushcat/Cheetah airplane and I couldn’t be happier.

The test was conducted with an instructor and both of us are very impressed.

Before:

- Vs 50mph

-Vs1 45mph

-Vs0 40mph

The stall had no buffet warning and the nose dropped suddenly. Flare a bit too high at the landing would be a hard one.

After VGs installed on the wings only:

- Vs 38mph

-Vs1 35mph

-Vs0 30mph

The stall had a buffet and a gentle nose drop. Power on stall had a brutal nose drop. Soft landing, great low speed control.

After VGs installed on the horizontal stabilizer:

Vs 35 mph

Vs1 30mph

Vs0 30mph

The stall has no buffet anymore and no nose drop. Instructor not happy about this configuration for a training A/C.

I glued mine with marine silicone and I don't know what the UV resistance is. It might not be long term reliable but that was the only glue which worked for the trilam.

Conclusion: it worked on my aircraft! The improvement in lowering the stall speeds is dramatic. As well as the behavior at low speed.

Liviu, Namibia, Africa

Hi Guys,Im also looking at the Bushcat taildragger,, Im a little skeptical at the moment regarding stated performance, took one out for a test flight yesterday and loved it, 70/80 knts doors off

stall clean around 40, 1 notch and 2 notch no different at 36ish. very very comfortable , i am 6ft 110kg and it was the most comfortable plane Ive flown !!

Erol tells me that all the new models come with VGs which will lower the stall speed by 8 knts !!!!

However, Im not trusting too much about what the manufacturer says,, Im based at Heck field and know Erol very well, he is a really nice bloke and most if not all that he has stated has been true,

but also a salesman with a business to run.

If I order it will be very nice to know that there are people around me building at the same time.

Decisions Decisions, Im also looking at the Savanaha VG XLW

Found this info below too, all for now. Mike

Bushcat/Cheetah

I’ve installed your VGs on my Bushcat/Cheetah airplane and I couldn’t be happier.

The test was conducted with an instructor and both of us are very impressed.

Before:

- Vs 50mph

-Vs1 45mph

-Vs0 40mph

The stall had no buffet warning and the nose dropped suddenly. Flare a bit too high at the landing would be a hard one.

After VGs installed on the wings only:

- Vs 38mph

-Vs1 35mph

-Vs0 30mph

The stall had a buffet and a gentle nose drop. Power on stall had a brutal nose drop. Soft landing, great low speed control.

After VGs installed on the horizontal stabilizer:

Vs 35 mph

Vs1 30mph

Vs0 30mph

The stall has no buffet anymore and no nose drop. Instructor not happy about this configuration for a training A/C.

I glued mine with marine silicone and I don't know what the UV resistance is. It might not be long term reliable but that was the only glue which worked for the trilam.

Conclusion: it worked on my aircraft! The improvement in lowering the stall speeds is dramatic. As well as the behavior at low speed.

Liviu, Namibia, Africa

I would treat those VG numbers with a pinch of salt because quite clearly the tests were not done in anything like a controlled environment.

If it was anything like possible to achieve the stated 15mph/50mph = 30% improvement in stall speed simply by fitting $50 worth of plastic bits, then every aircraft would have them. Certainly VGs can provide some improvements in both stall speed and handling close to the stall but nothing like that claimed above.

One of the big effects of installing VGs is that the pitch angle at, or approaching, the stall increases quite dramatically and so unless you fit a swivelling pitot and use a trailing static, the angle of the pitot relative to the airflow increases significantly. When that happens, and particularly above the angle that air is willing to 'bend' readily around a sharp edge (max about 7°), the pitot error increases exponentially, so using the ASI with the standard fixed pitot and static for trying to measure improvements in Vs at higher deck angles is a complete furphy.

Though not really recommended, for a simple check of the pitot/ASI error it would be much more accurate to measure the stall speed changes by conducting stalls into the wind and downwind using a GPS and averaging the readings. Best of all though, is by using the standard test equipment which includes a swivelling pitot which always points into the relative airflow, and a trailing static which is not affected by cabin or probe pressure changes caused by deck angle changes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1