Buying a sportstar

sandman

Frank there is an ASTM standard now for in flight adjustable propellers but it can not be back dated I believe, so new ones now can have it and the certified ones prior 2006 can have in flight adjustable props, that is my understanding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I have owned my Sportstar Plus now for 4 years, it truly is a very nice aircraft to fly and train in, it has it's little issues like the toe brakes are not so good and the crosswind abilities are lower than most but you learn to overcome these and work with them, you just need to know the aircraft capabilities like any other LSA type aircraft.

I like the 118lt of useable fuel for cruising, it will stay up in the air longer than me, if you get my drift, and it has good shoulder room and the seats are ok, sometimes I bring a cushion for the long flights, and now that I have had the prop adjusted for cruise she will cruise at 105-110 on a quiet day, there are a few of the composite LSA aircraft that cruise faster of course. All in all I love my Sportstar and I really enjoy flying her, so if you can find one for the right price I would recommend Sportstar that is for sure..

David

WP_20160102_002.thumb.jpg.2ddc79702b3db46cf105efa13850a3c3.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
I have owned my Sportstar Plus now for 4 years, it truly is a very nice aircraft to fly and train in, it has it's little issues like the toe brakes are not so good and the crosswind abilities are lower than most but you learn to overcome these and work with them, you just need to know the aircraft capabilities like any other LSA type aircraft.

I like the 118lt of useable fuel for cruising, it will stay up in the air longer than me, if you get my drift, and it has good shoulder room and the seats are ok, sometimes I bring a cushion for the long flights, and now that I have had the prop adjusted for cruise she will cruise at 105-110 on a quiet day, there are a few of the composite LSA aircraft that cruise faster of course. All in all I love my Sportstar and I really enjoy flying her, so if you can find one for the right price I would recommend Sportstar that is for sure..

David

[ATTACH]37895[/ATTACH]

Thanks DGL - Nice looking aircraft. Very well presented & promoted. Given your awareness of  composite aircraft capabilities,  I cant t help but wounder why  you purchased a metal one ?

I have a 19 year old  ATEC Zephyr, (800 + trouble free hrs) pulled along by the same engine as yours. With the ground adjustable prop set for climb (challenging home strip/paddock) I can still achieve 120+ knots, econo cruise 100-110 kn @ 13 L/h & we have a single pilot stall of 32 knots.  Mine is the base model the next one up is the Faeta.

Hi skip,

Well I guess to answer your question it was buying price for start as it was being sold cheap, next it was that it was used and still is being by various schools and had proved to be a solid training aircraft and at the time I was still in training so I thought I was a good option. It has similar cruising speed to yours and Hasan good endurance with 120L on board. Yes a metal aircraft is probably not as good because of corrosion but my aircraft is under cover and always has been since new so it is ok, I had a little under the wings but it was sorted easily.

Skippy I guess if I had lots of money I would definitely by a Faeta the same as Dexter has but unless I will the lotto I will stay with my Sportstar, my biggest issue at the moment is the engine, It only has 100 hrs left to run and I can’t afford a new one so I am madly looking for a viable alternative to a new engine, I hope to find a low hr one in the future, if you ever here of one for sale please let me know.

Any happy flying mate and Merry Christmas...???