Can anyone please advise me about flying to Edinburgh?

I am so hoping to fly to Edinburgh in October.. I have my flights with Emirates in credit.. However I am told I have to have a special permit .my reason being mum will be 100 in Nov.. I know I have to isolate when I arrive. But how does this work? Anyone?

I don't know and haven't heard of any special permit required for international travel to the UK. Best to contact the British consular services/embassy for details, It may be a requirement for stopover destinations.. will have to check with the airline or those countries' consular services.

There is a legal requirement to self-isolate - you will have to tell the Border Force/immigration where you are self isolating and they may do spot checks (my guess is they won't). This will be a good read: Just as Air Travel Is Picking Up, U.K. Imposes a Quarantine

My guess is most people will ignore it as the chances of a spot check will be low and even if they get issued a £1,000 fine, who is going to make them pay it?

By the time you arrive, the self isolation requirement would likely my removed anyway, but even so, airlines are suing the government over it: Airlines Challenge U.K.’s Quarantine to Boost Travel Market

BTW - many happy returns to your mum...

• Like 1

Sometimes its important how we express concepts:

• Self Isolation: To me this is a voluntary removal from society, has little force/consequence and I might just slip out for a feed at the Fish & Chip shop.
  • Quarantine: This is an imposed state of isolation. Usually with legal force. Most often for the protection of the larger community. Historically breaching quarantine can have very sever ramification for the escapee, even to the point of being shot on sight .

Is it any wonder when we pussy foot around with our use of language/political correctness, that we get people breaking their quarantine and infecting others ie the Security Guards in Vic and the compassionate/contaminated Poms in NZ.

Thank you so yes I read this.. I have citizenship.. But due to a mix up regarding my pension.. I am returning home for good.. But not in October as things are still very complicated there. I had notification from Emirates with a lot of requirements including testing. Compulsory Covid insurance.. Is there such a thing and if so.. H

I don't know and haven't heard of any special permit required for international travel to the UK. Best to contact the British consular services/embassy for details, It may be a requirement for stopover destinations.. will have to check with the airline or those countries' consular services.

There is a legal requirement to self-isolate - you will have to tell the Border Force/immigration where you are self isolating and they may do spot checks (my guess is they won't). This will be a good read: Just as Air Travel Is Picking Up, U.K. Imposes a Quarantine

My guess is most people will ignore it as the chances of a spot check will be low and even if they get issued a £1,000 fine, who is going to make them pay it?

By the time you arrive, the self isolation requirement would likely my removed anyway, but even so, airlines are suing the government over it: Airlines Challenge U.K.’s Quarantine to Boost Travel Market

BTW - many happy returns to your mum...

Thank you so much for you reply

Actually, I think from Monday - the self isolation thing from people coming from low/no COVId-19 countries (of which Aus has to be one), will no longer be required.

The Emirates thing is probably their SOP or maybe something the the UAE requires.. not something I know of from here...

When you say you are returning home for good - do you mean Scotland/UK?

Actually, I think from Monday - the self isolation thing from people coming from low/no COVId-19 countries (of which Aus has to be one), will no longer be required.

The Emirates thing is probably their SOP or maybe something the the UAE requires.. not something I know of from here...

When you say you are returning home for good - do you mean Scotland/UK?

I may go back for good.. I have not made my mind up yet.. I do have a return with Emirates.. But yes Scotland UK.. I have no family in Queensland.. Split up...

.not decided yet..

• 3 weeks later...

@bluebird121 - sorry to hear about your pesonal circumstances... I think you will be OK to return to the UK (short article, but this is from their free site): UK will ditch travel quarantine for 75 countries, Daily Telegraph says

Thanks for the information. Jerry..Emirates are still flying to Edinburgh but as far as I know only once a week.but only for humanitarian or compassionate compassionate reasons. I guess I fit into that Category. . Dubai is the problem as I believe they are insisting you have Covid insurance or a guarantee you don't have it. So I've been waiting for things to be a bit more relaxed.. Luckily we are clear here.. So far .thanks for the information..

• 2 months later...

@bluebird121 - How did you get on getting to Edinburgh? I have been looking for flights back to Aus (Sydney) and with 4 weeks notice and a whole lot of cash, there is a way.... The in laws of a friend in Melb spent $11K each to get to Ireland and back (family bereavement). I know you have Emirates credits, but unless it was business, my guess is they did (or will or would have) requested a top up.