Canadian Pilot vacationing to Australia

Hello everybody! I did a quick Google search for "Australian Aviation Forum" and this came up in the results! I'm looking for a bunch of information, but first why don't I introduce myself?

My name is Alex, I'm 26 and I've been PPL Licensed for a little over two years, and I just sent in the paperwork for my CPL. I'm planning a vacation to Australia at the end of September and I'll be looking to get my PPL converted and to purchase some bulk time on a small single-engine aircraft such as a Cessna 150, probably somewhere along the east coast.

Nice to meet you all!

Alex Penner

Hello everybody! I did a quick Google search for "Australian Aviation Forum" and this came up in the results! I'm looking for a bunch of information, but first why don't I introduce myself?My name is Alex, I'm 26 and I've been PPL Licensed for a little over two years, and I just sent in the paperwork for my CPL. I'm planning a vacation to Australia at the end of September and I'll be looking to get my PPL converted and to purchase some bulk time on a small single-engine aircraft such as a Cessna 150, probably somewhere along the east coast.

Nice to meet you all!

Alex Penner

Welcome, Alex!

Calgary is a lovely part of the world.

Hope you manage to get to Australia and do some flying here.

Cheers,

Neil

Suggest that you read up on security requirements (AVID or ASIC) before you make any commitments and then perhaps have a good cry ....

Yes..ASIC killed a number of successful ventures here in Aus for touring pilots wanting to fly.

Yes..ASIC killed a number of successful ventures here in Aus for touring pilots wanting to fly.

How so? Is it just the time that it takes to process an AVID application? Or do I need an ASIC as a Private Pilot? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Alex Penner

Alex, what I do in the States is use regular airlines to cover the big distances, and when I want to see something, hire the aircraft with an instructor. It's his job to do the radio, navigation, any flight planning for long trips - much easier and probably less cost.

Alex. Welcome to Australia.

If you are getting your PPL approved for flying in Australia, you will no doubt have been looking at the CASA requirements. We have to have eithe r an ASIC or an AVID to fly general aviation planes and also to fly RAAus planes into certain airfields.

You could not fly an RAAus plane on a GA licence, so unless you have a Canadian recreational licence and get it converted for use in Australia, you will not be able to be PIC of a recreational plane.

Your PPL if converted should allow you to fly a GA plane and I think they may be easier to hire than RAAus planes.

As Turbs said it is probably easiest to hire with an instructor, which you would have to do anyway, before You could hire a plane.

End of September seems like a good time for flying, the wet season in N Qld should be well over with good flying weather just about anywhere.

Hi Alex. It can be done but requires months of planing and paperwork because of our useless regulator. To fly to any airfield that has regular public transport requires an ASIC. Depending on how many hours you plan on flying it’s probably much easier just to find an instructor you get on with and fly with them.

Hi Alex. It can be done but requires months of planing and paperwork because of our useless regulator. To fly to any airfield that has regular public transport requires an ASIC. Depending on how many hours you plan on flying it’s probably much easier just to find an instructor you get on with and fly with them.

To be issued with (and to exercise the privileges of, if we take the way it is written literally) a CASA license (RPL, PPL, CPL) you must already hold, or apply for an ASIC/AVID at the time of application. Until you hold a valid ASIC or AVID, CASA will not issue one. Not just if you want to fly into security controlled aerodromes.

I recently went through this. Aviation ID Australia would not issue an ASIC as I did not have an operational need (a license) and CASA wouldn't issue a license as I didn't have an ASIC. They professed to have never come up against a similar situation. 086_gaah.gif.9f31919306dccf5493593675c0fa940e.gif

Good thing I've got 5+ months to plan! They won't accept my CoV application until 3 months prior to my trip, but I've started on the paperwork already. I don't want to rent a plane and instructor, I want to fly myself around and not be locked to someone else's schedule, so my plan is to buy bulk time from a private owner. From the calls I've made to CASA, the process seems relatively straightforward. Submit my application for my CoV, submit my application for my ASIC, then once they are both approved, I will be able to pick up my documents when I land in Australia.

The problem for the ASIC is the in person interview to verify the person. See if you can find some way to get around it it: give these guys a call: Aviation Security Identification Cards as they might be able to talk you through it.

That's interesting. When I spoke with CASA regarding the process for getting an ASIC, an in-person interview was never mentioned, but I see that change was made August 2017. It says the face-to-fave interview is required "when collecting [my] ASIC."

That's interesting. When I spoke with CASA regarding the process for getting an ASIC' date=' an in-person interview was never mentioned, but I see that change was made August 2017. It says the face-to-fave interview is required "when collecting [my'] ASIC."

That should be straightforward then; might pay to email them to find out exactly which proofs they want (as against other similar driver licence, immigration etc), but if that's done it hard to see any problems (I'd also have a photocopy of the "when collecting my ASIC" words just in case.

Hello everybody! I did a quick Google search for "Australian Aviation Forum" and this came up in the results! I'm looking for a bunch of information, but first why don't I introduce myself?My name is Alex, I'm 26 and I've been PPL Licensed for a little over two years, and I just sent in the paperwork for my CPL. I'm planning a vacation to Australia at the end of September and I'll be looking to get my PPL converted and to purchase some bulk time on a small single-engine aircraft such as a Cessna 150, probably somewhere along the east coast.

Nice to meet you all!

Alex Penner

G’day Alex, and welcome to the forum. I’m a Calgarian now living in Melbourne. I got my PPL at CFB Penhold in the mid 1970’s (long since lapsed), but I’ve maintained a recreational pilot’s certificate here in Australia - it’s great to fly here!I hope you can sort out the ASIC “catch 22”, but bureaucratic bodies can be annoying in all countries. Best of luck with your Aussie travels... you’ll have a great time here regardless.

Good thing I've got 5+ months to plan! They won't accept my CoV application until 3 months prior to my trip, but I've started on the paperwork already. I don't want to rent a plane and instructor, I want to fly myself around and not be locked to someone else's schedule, so my plan is to buy bulk time from a private owner. From the calls I've made to CASA, the process seems relatively straightforward. Submit my application for my CoV, submit my application for my ASIC, then once they are both approved, I will be able to pick up my documents when I land in Australia.

Sounds like a good trip you have planned, If you are around the mackay area, I'll show you around if you are keen

Sounds like a good trip you have planned, If you are around the mackay area, I'll show you around if you are keen

Thank you! I just might take you up on that come September!

As for ASIC, I have called two other ASIC issuers and they have both said that my "Holiday Flying on a CoV" plan should be sufficient for meeting the "Operational Need" requirement of the ASIC. Good news, I hope?

Thank you! I just might take you up on that come September!As for ASIC, I have called two other ASIC issuers and they have both said that my "Holiday Flying on a CoV" plan should be sufficient for meeting the "Operational Need" requirement of the ASIC. Good news, I hope?

Yes that should meet it, just as long as they allow the face to face meeting on collection of the card. I wish you the best and enjoy flying here.

Yes that should meet it, just as long as they allow the face to face meeting on collection of the card. I wish you the best and enjoy flying here.

From what I was told by one of the ASIC issuers is that the face to face meeting is literally just picking up the card, basically just pick it up and show then the physical documents proving my identity. They said that my Canadian Passport, Canadian Pilot License, Canadian Driver's License, etc. will all suffice. Once this is all said and done, and if it works, I will hopefully put together a post/guide for others to follow if they want to do the same thing in the future!

what are you planning on renting, and where are you planning on going roughly mate?

It will be sometime between September 16 and October 6, and my plan is to start near Gold Coast and go from there (probably north up to Cairns). It will likely be a '73 Cessna 150L.