cataracts in both eyes

The optometrist casually mentioned this while she was examining my eyes, and added, they're at an early stage, lots of people get them, they are easily fixed by an operation.

I'll discuss this with my ophthalmologist (he's a nice guy, and a pilot too), but I'd like to know if many people here have had this issue, and how it turned out.

It's a pretty popular operation. Lots of drops needed initially to prevent infection and you shouldn't rub your eyes even in your sleep early on. If you do both eyes you stagger them by about 2 weeks. You may not realise how far your eyes have deteriorated, and glare bothers you. Everyone involved was very pleased with the results I got as there was no macular degeneration. Set the lenses for distant and you use cheap magnification 2X for things closer than a foot (or a bit more). This annoys me as I did eye focussing exercises and didn't use glasses at all, prior to that but the OP is very good at restoring visual acuity. I'm 20/20 uncorrected. You need good wrap around sunglasses to protect your eyes. For motor bike riding , driving cars and flying the setting I have is fine. It's only reading fine print and micrometers etc I have to use glasses

I was always paranoid about anyone actually touching the surface of my eyes, but that was not a problem. Obviously keeping very still is important but the actual procedure doesn't take very long. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

My shooting eye got so bad (two images, then three, the four) that I had to give it up. A silica gel (breast implant) in the right eye, then years later an acrylic lens in my left. Both ops no problem, instantly perfect vision afterwards. I can even read a newspaper (remember them) in sunlight, but need specs for closer in work.

• Like 1

II was always paranoid about anyone actually touching the surface of my eyes, but that was not a problem. Nev

I feel the same way about anyone touching my eyes, but do you mean they do the op while you're awake???

I've got to the point where I just can't stand any glare at all; if there's any glare I just can't see, but my good eye corrects up to 20/20. My bad eye has macular degeneration so it's never going to be good.

I always wear a hat because glare bothers me so much: a baseball cap for flying and an Akubra otherwise. Wearing hats is part of the recommendation from the American Ophthalmology Society, and they also recommend sunglasses, which I don't like because I have trouble seeing the car/plane instruments. My glasses have a UV coating, but I don't know how well this compares to sunglasses.

Thanks for the advice everyone, keep it coming. It's very important to me that I could still fly.

Last year my optician told me that I had cataracts starting to appear. This Jan she said that they would need operating on. She got some glasses for me that corrected the very slight blurring of my distance vision, but I was concerned about how I would pass the medical for flying, so last week I saw the opthalmic surgeon and she agrees that I have cataracts, but don't need any operation yet, possibly not for years.

My symptoms are that I get a blurring and can't read road signs until much later than I used to.

Time will tell for me, but I am happy wearing glasses for distance vision, rather than undergoing surgery, where there is always a risk.

Maybe I can still pass the test without the glasses.

My wife had the surgery years ago and her vision is good. She had got to the stage where lights at night all looked like big stars.

I lost most of the vision in my right eye a couple of years ago. BRAO (branch retinal artery occlusion) basically a stroke in the eye. Lost about 75% of the retina. My brain has adjusted & I forget about it unless I close my left eye. My peripheral vision on the right isn't as good as the left but I have 16/20 vision corrected for reading & 20/20 uncorrected for distance though I do have prescription distance glasses as I like to be able to read road signs & number plates etc from a reasonable distance. When at the optometrist for my last check up, at the end he put up a bunch of letters & said can you read that without glasses. They were a bit blurry but easy to read. He said that is the standard for a heavy truck licence. I was amazed, I thought I'd need much better vision for that. I always wear my distance glasses while driving & flying even though I don't have to.

... I always wear my distance glasses while driving & flying even though I don't have to.

Me too. The main function of my spex is to protect my eyes. It's surprising how often something gets past a face mask when wizzing or grinding. While travelling rapidly thru the air is just as hazardous.

The effect of cataracts is ghosting ( duplicated edges of the image) and glare sensitivity. I let mine go too long as it's gradual but on a very bright sunny day I could not read the car instruments. When I had them done it was like being fitted with NEW eyes.

Yes, you are not put under to do the op. The eye is anaesthetised so there is no sensation, but you don't want to be looking about as they do it. If you think about it ,it seems like no fun at all but Its not for long and there's no pain, but there may be later if you get an infection, hence the drops programme which you must stick to as directed. You have a drops procedure for a time before you do the op so if doing the two it's a bit complex as each eye has it's own requirements. It's generally a very successful procedure. There is a more costly option where a flexible lens is used and you can learn to focus again but it is not as reliable and failures are hard to correct so I opted to play safe and do the more normal method. Nev

• Informative 1

My father had cataracts but was not one to admit there was anything wrong. He'd always say "There's nothing wrong with my eyesight when questioned". It took a long time but eventually he was convinced to deal with it. It was so funny when he rang me and said "I've got some great news, I CAN SEE again" completely ignoring his prior statements.

The effect of cataracts is ghosting ( duplicated edges of the image) and glare sensitivity. I let mine go too long as it's gradual but on a very bright sunny day I could not read the car instruments. When I had them done it was like being fitted with NEW eyes.Yes, you are not put under to do the op. The eye is anaesthetised so there is no sensation, but you don't want to be looking about as they do it. If you think about it ,it seems like no fun at all but Its not for long and there's no pain, but there may be later if you get an infection, hence the drops programme which you must stick to as directed. You have a drops procedure for a time before you do the op so if doing the two it's a bit complex as each eye has it's own requirements. It's generally a very successful procedure. There is a more costly option where a flexible lens is used and you can learn to focus again but it is not as reliable and failures are hard to correct so I opted to play safe and do the more normal method. Nev

OK, thanks, this sounds a bit like me; I don't get ghosting but glare is a big problem. I was wondering about this: 5-10 yrs ago glare didn't bother me at all. Now I know. Ever since I turned 60 everything seems to be falling to bits.

It's a pretty popular operation. Lots of drops needed initially to prevent infection and you shouldn't rub your eyes even in your sleep early on. If you do both eyes you stagger them by about 2 weeks. You may not realise how far your eyes have deteriorated, and glare bothers you. Everyone involved was very pleased with the results I got as there was no macular degeneration. Set the lenses for distant and you use cheap magnification 2X for things closer than a foot (or a bit more). This annoys me as I did eye focussing exercises and didn't use glasses at all, prior to that but the OP is very good at restoring visual acuity. I'm 20/20 uncorrected. You need good wrap around sunglasses to protect your eyes. For motor bike riding , driving cars and flying the setting I have is fine. It's only reading fine print and micrometers etc I have to use glassesI was always paranoid about anyone actually touching the surface of my eyes, but that was not a problem. Obviously keeping very still is important but the actual procedure doesn't take very long. Nev

Describes my experience perfectly. Good ophthalmologist did cataracts in both eyes in same week: inserted lens which gave me perfect distance and vg closein, (except in poor light &/or, when tired.). I can now read the paper without glasses, and fly without needing them either. I've found no problem with in cockpit reading of either analog or digital presentations: can read all the stuff on a Dynon EFIS..... cross cockpit! Best bit of surgery I've ever had done - more inconvenience than pain. happy days,

• Like 2

Had both eyes done over a couple of years.

First op was on right eye, probably due to scope shooting proffesionaly.

My left eye was good to read the paper etc.

However I failed the eye test for a light truck licence when you have to read the chart with each eye. Car licence is both eyes open.( south Australia)

I got corrective glasses to past the test until the next op. on my left eye.

Interesting that when I explained to Opthonamist, he said that he could put a lens in the left eye that gave we the opportunity to read without glasses.

I didn't take him up on it as I reckon both eyes at long distance would be better for my flying.

Yes, you are awake but only takes a few minutes on the table.

By memory it was about a couple of weeks before I could drive.

Definately wear the eye shield at night for the recommended time.

I rubbed mine in my sleep, stabbing pain, fortunately no damage.

Had both eyes done 3 weeks apart no pain 2years ago

Perfect vision now should not have been driving I could not believe how bloody blind I was but I still wear glasses so I don't get welding flashes or grinding fragment in my eyes and don't strain em Neil

• Like 1

It's all pretty well covered now. Regarding the idea of having different lenses in each eye, I think you would be inviting a problem there. I think it's a long distance (rather than infinity) that I chose. You can see well down to about 15 inches and a simple $10 set of glasses is all you need to read fine print. Driving and flying and riding /walking down stairs etc is fine. I'm not sure how long you go without driving but the referring ophthalmologist will do a follow up assessment and eye test. It's not a long time but I can't be specific from memory. They dilate the pupils for this so have someone to drive you home or and have a good set of sunglasses, to protect you eyes, if you are otherwise OK. Nev

• Agree 1

I've had cataract surgery (transplants in both eyes) this year and had no issues at all renewing my Class 2. Worth noting that you won't get a Class 2 with monovision, that is, where you have one lens for long sight and one lens for short sight.

And its SOOOOOO good to have great vision again.

• Like 1

The down side

Me daughter in law reconds the was a bad move getting me eyes fixed cause I won't have the excuse to cuddle the young chicks she is right

See em coming a mile away by the time they get near I'm plumb tuckered and forgotten about the cuddle Neil

I have had both eyes done for cateracts. I could not drive for two days and was back flying in less than a week. Work wise i would suggest taking a week off per eye for safety.

• Agree 1