Cessna 210 Crash Moruya Airport 19 December 2019

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6552280/plane-crashes-near-south-coast-airport-runway-after-engine-fails/?cs=12

According to the media release, the plane landed 800m short of runway with a mayday and an engine failure. A Westpac helicopter based at the airport was in attendance shortly after

For goodness sake, this is becoming a lottery, who's next.   Makes me start to think.

This is just an engine failure from 16,000 feet with a misjudgement at the end; easy to do because you’re concentrating on losing a lot of height in an orderly fashion and you can get out of position. Also it is GA. If you take out the GA discussions, not so bad.

• Like 1

At 16000 feet the pilot would be suffering from hypoxia but should have recovered once below 10000. Either it was a complete failure to land without power or he was a bit too far away. Then if he thought he'd be short why not try the beach?

Before the speculation runs too rampant as it has elsewhere... (Please avoid judgement also, the pilot and passenger were airlifted to Canberra Hospital, the last thing they need right now is negative thoughts).

The facts are:

The flight was from Bankstown to Cambridge (Hobart) cruising at FL160. Approx 20nm past Moruya the engine failed, they were losing 1000fpm. The aircraft was pressurised, it was a P210N model. The aircraft had a turboprop, not piston motor. From this height they were able to make it back to Moruya, but had about 2 minutes at most near the airport to assess the situation/airfield and make their decision (which in the heat of the moment would go very quickly, and keep in mind a normal circuit does take around 6 minutes). They chose to attempt an approach onto 04, however were too high and too close so quickly switched to a circuit onto 18, unfortunately they weren't able to make the final turn and instead of attempting a low level steep turn they chose to put it down straight ahead into the overshoot scrub. The wind throughout the day was gusting to around 40kts and it was hot (so people were at the beach).

Moruya can be a tricky airfield, it does have its characteristics that can catch people off guard, an example being unexpected sink near the river, and when it's windy it can be a challenge due to the terrain & mechanical turbulence.

Given the amount of practice forced landings I've done at Moruya, I think the pilot has done a good job under pressure and whatever decisions they thought were right has ultimately saved their lives (and that's all that matters, aircraft can be replaced), although they probably will be spending Christmas in Canberra Hospital. Hoping they have a speedy recovery.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 6

Wonder if the propeller is close by or not.

Sounds as if the pilot will be well enough to tell the investigators, but it doesn't seem, from what has been published, that it will be very far from the touch down point.

The p210 silver eagle in happier times

https://images.app.goo.gl/iF6NMPx7a8rg1UsJ7

Depending on the type of failure and how the prop ended up could make it difficult for the pilot.

Is that the actual aircraft in the picture that was involved in the crash?

If it is it bears a striking resemblance to one that was parked at Lethbridge a couple of weeks back. 

Is that the actual aircraft in the picture that was involved in the crash?

If it is it bears a striking resemblance to one that was parked at Lethbridge a couple of weeks back. 

Yes it landed Lethbridge Nov 27, had been on a world trip.

Yes I thought so. I hadn’t met the pilot or his passenger but had heard about the world trip. It was parked at Lethbridge for about a week or so. 

I hope they’re recovering, I wish them all the best. 

• Agree 1

I am still at a loss as to why he ended up where he did.

Is there any update on this one?

Fell 800m short of the 18 threshold. The glide performance with the prop feathered could be different than normal ops.There may have been oil on the screen or other factors. The ATSB is investigating.  

20191228_145144.thumb.jpg.8e5ae3338f5f8e9e8d73b8ccfd26046d.jpg

Hmmm.... That's not what I see in the flight path!!

If you look at the image below, he is at 1500ft and has a runway right in front of him!!  Ok - He is high, but still!!

/monthly_2019_12/99ED9AC6-FEE9-4EF3-A87B-213516898C1B.png.4227a7d4aeb41e9588ad9ddede282b90.png

Prop feathered/prop windmilling can make a BIG difference. Plus it's a big difference sitting comfortably tapping on a putor to sitting in in the aircraft making actual real world decisions.

What do those religous types say?  (liberty taken) "Let who is without any expirence or idea cast the first aspersions". Here enduth the lesson.

• Agree 2