CH601 XL accident 7/3/2008 - ATSB report

Case

G'day All

The RA-Aus sought ATSB assistance with examination of the canopy pieces found after Gary Sweetnam's accident last year. The ATSB's final report can be found here -

And......................???

Pardon my ignorance but am I missing something? It seems an awful lot of money has been spent proving nothing. OK the canopy failed but so what. Did the debris take off the tail or damage it? Losing the canopy might not be a whole lot of fun but I've seen some posts from people who want to build a 601 without a canopy to get the sports car 'wind in the hair'. I'd like to know a lot more from an accident report other than the canopy broke before the crash.

Paul Toone

• 3 weeks later...

This report is not the accident report only the ATSB report into the canopy fragments that the RAA asked them to look into, the RAA are doing the full report and that is not out yet.

Chris

Zodiac XL

Sydney

• 5 years later...

Why? "In the event, a multi-agency investigation was undertaken, primarily with Recreation Aviation Australia (RAA), who in turn was assisted by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB)." When the rego was VH-ZRS.

"In addition, internet pilot forums include discussions on both the propensity of the Zodiac canopy to fail, and on various makeshift ways to prevent this from occurring. " Do the authorities read internet forum? You bet they do!

• Caution 1

When I built my 601xl I got involved with 10 other builders to purchase Todds canopies at a very reasonable price.They had better optics and thicker then the original canopy supplied by Zenith.http://www.toddscanopies.com/index.php?id=140

Guest Maj Millard
Why? "In the event, a multi-agency investigation was undertaken, primarily with Recreation Aviation Australia (RAA), who in turn was assisted by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB)." When the rego was VH-ZRS."In addition, internet pilot forums include discussions on both the propensity of the Zodiac canopy to fail, and on various makeshift ways to prevent this from occurring. " Do the authorities read internet forum? You bet they do!

RankAmateur , A Coronial enquiriy or even an ATSB enquiry has the scope and power to source information and imput from any source, as you know. In this case significant info was source from the RAA who no doubt was the entity with the most experience in this case. It is part of our charter and indeed one of our required responsibilities to assist authorities with accident inquiry when requested, regardless of rego status.

This public forum is open to any and all, and for anyone to suggest that authorities would not view it on occasions ( IE: CASA or Lee Ungerman) would suggest a degree of short sightedness on thier part..........