Compare Savannah models

petercoota

Anyone know where I can find a table that compares specs of the different Savannah models. XL, VG, S ADV ?

Hi Peter,

The ICP website has this info. You will need to select English as the language each time, but no big deal. Link below :-

[/url]https://www.icpaviazione.it/?page_id=254&lang=en

Cheers,

Neil

Foxbat is expensive but the A22 most seem to like to fly..some people report they dont like the way the Vixen handles compared to the A22. The Savannah is better in some respects to the 701. The 701 has a few issues that you have to get used to where the Savannah is very docile and doesnt tend to bite you unless you are really stupid...which is why you would have to get a Darwin award to stall one in

The 701 upside down aerofoil tailplane makes it drop out of the sky if your not careful as its all good and then its nothing also the gap in the middle of the wings does create less lift. I know a 701 driver that got rid of his std tailplane and put a std savannah one on and filled the gap in the wing over the cabin and said it flew much better. He had been flying it for many years as a std 701 then modified it in the last 5 years or so and he said it much improved the handling of it.

Thanks Neil,

I'd looked thru the ICP site & thought they might have produced a table or spreadsheet that summarised the differences. I'll have to extract the info about each model & build my own.

Thanks for responding, as you replied to my query on the Savannah forum, does this mean that you're a Savannah driver yourself?

If so, I'd be interested in any thoughts you might like to share about Savannah vs Foxbat vs Zenith.

Thanks,

Peter

If your building the Skyranger Nynja would be worth a look. I'm rapt in mine and no painted needed. Cheers

If your building the Skyranger Nynja would be worth a look. I'm rapt in mine and no painted needed. Cheers

I've looked at the Skyranger website, the Nynja is interesting, I'm hoping I can find one to look at. I'll be at both Parkes & Narromine shows in a few months, I hope I'll find a Nynja amongst the fly in aircraft at these shows.

Foxbat is expensive but the A22 most seem to like to fly..some people report they dont like the way the Vixen handles compared to the A22. The Savannah is better in some respects to the 701. The 701 has a few issues that you have to get used to where the Savannah is very docile and doesnt tend to bite you unless you are really stupid...which is why you would have to get a Darwin award to stall one in

The 701 upside down aerofoil tailplane makes it drop out of the sky if your not careful as its all good and then its nothing also the gap in the middle of the wings does create less lift. I know a 701 driver that got rid of his std tailplane and put a std savannah one on and filled the gap in the wing over the cabin and said it flew much better. He had been flying it for many years as a std 701 then modified it in the last 5 years or so and he said it much improved the handling of it.

I've been looking at the Zenith 750 STOL, which also has the horizontal stabiliser 'upside down'. I was wondering why other makes don't do this, if it's such a good idea. I see the 750 Cruzer has a 'normal' horizontal stabiliser, as does the 750 Special Duty model. Thanks for the input.

Thanks Neil,

I'd looked thru the ICP site & thought they might have produced a table or spreadsheet that summarised the differences. I'll have to extract the info about each model & build my own.

Thanks for responding, as you replied to my query on the Savannah forum, does this mean that you're a Savannah driver yourself?

If so, I'd be interested in any thoughts you might like to share about Savannah vs Foxbat vs Zenith.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes - I have been flying a Savannah S for the past 4 years and am very happy with it.

I'm afraid I haven't flown either a Foxbat or a Zenith, so cannot really comment on these.

The features of the Savvy that drew me to it were the STOL capability, and the long range tanks (over 8 hours + reserve).

I am getting 13-15 litres/hour with a TAS of around 90knots. So it suits my purpose and is not too hard on the pocket.

I also liked the S as it made the fuselage shape rounder and less agricultural. In addition it had the adjustable seats (good for someone vertically challenged like myself, while still accommodating taller passengers).

The price was also more reasonable compared to others with similar capability.

HTH

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

As you are in Mallacoota I have just realized a friend of mine with an A22 Foxbat lives in your neck of the woods (near Deddick Valley)

. He flies from his own property there (quite a challenging strip!).

If you like I can open a conversation with you to give you his email. I am sure he would be happy to share his experience of the Foxbat with you.

In addition I hope to get to either/both Parkes (AirVenture) or Narromine (Ausfly), so if you get to these we can meet up for a chat re the Savvy.

I also expect Pete Gillespie, the Savannah dealer (based at Bendigo), will be at both of these.

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Neil,

I had to look up Deddick Valley, I'd heard of it, a long way from me by road, 4-4.5 hours by road, maybe 1 hour by air, across some serious tiger country.

Yes, it would be good to talk to your Foxbat friend. I've been a bit put off by the cockpit ergonomics of the A22. I've not flown one, I've had 1.5 hrs on the A32 with the Y stick, that was OK, seemed to have more adverse yaw than some I've flown.

I didn't realise the Sav agent was in Bendigo, their website is difficult to navigate & only has a phone number. A real pity as I was in Bendigo recently.

I will be at both AirVenture & AusFly, I've paid for accommodation at both places. I would welcome the chance to have a talk with you. My email is [email protected].

Did you build your Sav or is it a factory job?

Regards,

Peter

• 3 months later...

Hi Peter,

Yes - I have been flying a Savannah S for the past 4 years and am very happy with it.

I'm afraid I haven't flown either a Foxbat or a Zenith, so cannot really comment on these.

The features of the Savvy that drew me to it were the STOL capability, and the long range tanks (over 8 hours + reserve).

I am getting 13-15 litres/hour with a TAS of around 90knots. So it suits my purpose and is not too hard on the pocket.

I also liked the S as it made the fuselage shape rounder and less agricultural. In addition it had the adjustable seats (good for someone vertically challenged like myself, while still accommodating taller passengers).

The price was also more reasonable compared to others with similar capability.

HTH

Cheers,

Neil

ICP also ditched the corrugated "garden shed" fuselage sides on the S model.

The two penalties are (1) a slightly heavier fuselage and (2) a more time consuming build.

I have spoken to people who have flown both the square XL model and the rounded S model and they tell me they fly the same. I understand that the VG model lands in a slightly shorter distance.