Considering Purchase of Pulsar III

Hi all,

I've just recently re-registered after a few years out of the aviation world.

I've come across a Pulsar III for sale in SA which I'm told hasn't flown since 2015, however has had the required maintenance completed.

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the particular aircraft.

I'm quite keen on purchasing, and having not done so before, any advice and/or suggestions you could offer would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Nuss200sx - I am a biased ATEC owner & promoter - however I will try to give you what I consider to be good general advice;

TAKE YOUR TIME - this should be a long, rather than short game.

DO NOT FIXATE ON THE FIRST AIRCRAFT THAT TAKES YOUR FANCY!

Do the most exhaustive research you can.

Draw up a short list of aircraft that meets your particular "mission" requirements.

Know everything you possible can about the 1- 2-3 aircraft types that you end up with.

Get in touch with people who have experience in the proffered make/model's.

Have prospective purchases "vetted" by someone who knows the type well.

Do not assume the log book has been accurately and faithfully filled out (accidents do happen and may/not be recorded) - try and find someone who knows that aircraft personally (past owners/ maintainers/etc)

The "sexier looking" the more you will pay and the greater the disappointment (gap between performance expectation and reality) will be.

Your budget should include a major overhaul immediately after purchase.

Good luck!

• Agree 2

The Pulsar is slippery and not recommended for a novice.  In Mr FV's opinion, it's rudder is too small.  We have been working on one for a friend who needs to sell it as he can no longer fly.  His Pulsar is good looking, goes like the clappers, has one of the best Rotax 912's (in Mr FV's opinion) that he has seen, but needs an experienced pair of hands (and feet!  It's a tail dragger).  Presently working on the wing tank where fuel was allowed to dry out - been out of service for years.  It is a challenge for an old guy to get in/out of it, canopy a bit low for some tall guys, very little baggage space, but looks the goods.  Based in Qld.  I had it listed here years ago in the Classifieds, but can't find it now.

• Like 1

Go straight to maintenance logbook FIRST. Does it have lots of detail, or is it rather bare. Does it have good detail on particularly engine service bulletins. Ask to see all the maintenance manuals and whatever publications. Are all the engine etc service bulletins printed out and maybe in a binder? Do your own research on those after getting the engine serial number. You need to find all those first, before you go, so you know what to look for. Any service bulletin not recorded properly must be treated as not done. Good bargaining point for you, value goes down. If the logbooks check out, THEN you go look at the aircraft, which will likely be quite good also.

I did a pre-purchase inspection of an aircraft for someone a few years ago as he just couldn't get there. Logbook had nothing - and I mean NOTHING - written in it for the previous 15 years and no record of the three prop strikes that I personally knew it had. (I personally knew the previous two owners who personally told me, personally, in person, to my person.) Yes, it had been flown occasionally over those 15 years.

Another trip to collect an aircraft by trailer some years before, as it hadn't been flown for six years, we knew all that in advance. Aircraft had been part maintained by a LAME. He had delight telling us that he just drilled the rocker chamber vents (Jab engine) as per the Jab service bulletin. Great. Except for, it didn't apply to THAT serial number engine. DOH!  I didn't make a new friend by pointing that out.

Good luck with your quest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A point I make on a regular basis;

In this category of aircraft  (RAA type weights powered by Rotax 912 ULS)

ALL performance claims should be taken with  a MASSIVE dose of scepticism. Manufacturers/designers/ marketing/sales department make the most "hopeful" claims about their aircraft's performance . Owners (& prospective second hand sellers) have a vested & emotional interest in maintaining the fiction. The ONLY performance figures you can rely on are those generated by independent third parties.

Air speed instruments can & do give false readings - try "clocking" your ground speed, over a triangular course, at a set altitude and compare that with what your ASI is telling you.

You may like to compare the claims made for the Pulsar (a sexy/fast looking aircraft) with Robyn Austins world record holder (independently verified); Sonerai VH -SGS http://www.worldrecordplane.com/aircraft-development-story

Very very few aircraft manufacturers,  in this category, have been willing to put their aircraft to the test - you have been warned!

• Agree 2

Hi All, Pulsar 19-7484 is for sale at Goolwa SA.

The aircraft is a Series 3 aircraft and is a straightforward composite aircraft.

The best advise I can offer anyone with interest in this make of aeroplane is the seek advice from those who own/fly one, past and present.

My experience as the operator (120 hrs) is that I transitioned into it very easily after learning in J160's and converting over in several check flights.

A great source of information is in the USA via the web.

This Pulsar has not flown for a number of years but is now sold in flying condition.

Reason for sale is a matrimonial settlement and having my half share in my hangar being removed from me.

Kind regards

• Like 1

Hi All, Pulsar 19-7484 is for sale at Goolwa SA.

The aircraft is a Series 3 aircraft and is a straightforward composite aircraft.

The best advise I can offer anyone with interest in this make of aeroplane is the seek advice from those who own/fly one, past and present.

My experience as the operator (120 hrs) is that I transitioned into it very easily after learning in J160's and converting over in several check flights.

A great source of information is in the USA via the web.

This Pulsar has not flown for a number of years but is now sold in flying condition.

Reason for sale is a matrimonial settlement and having my half share in my hangar being removed from me.

Kind regards

Hi K84; Are you in a position to put a few hours flight in her. It's nice when buying to hear of recent flight history and partake in a flight. When I sold my last aircraft I did a two hour flight to and airfield about an hour from the prospective purchaser and after a flight there money changed hands. Just an idea and best wishes with the selling.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kenny84 : Can you suggest a few of the USA websites so I can read up?  I'm curious about whether spare parts still available for the aircraft.  Also, with your aircraft are the Jabiru Service Bulletins etc all up to date.    Thanks !!

Hi, https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Pulsar-Aviators/info

I am unsure if anyone is still manufacturing the kit but the owners have a strong group and being a kit plane that was not an issue for me.

Service is up to date but some Jabiru ones are done on time.

Give me a call, I have had much interest but need to sell.

Thanks