Corby Starlet (28-1799)

Hongie

Does anyone know this particular aircraft or type, its owner, or anything about it? Its advertised on the pacific Flyer website in classifieds. Any info appreciated, i dont want to waste my time or the owners before i know a bit more about it

A quick search of what there is of the Ra-Aus database shows it being registered in 1998...Hongie... you would suit a Corby.

yeah i think so too don :) nice cruise speed and all

Hongie

My Avatar shows the Corby, but not the one you are interested in.

The Corby is a single seat wood and fabric tail dragger design. designer John Corby and the design is about 44 years old. It was originally for a VW engine competition, but there are Jab engined models about auch as mine. 80hp will easily exceed Vne if you are not careful. i have seen about 130 on the clock.

Vne 138 kts and it cruises easily at 100. Very much a pilots aeroplane, but the pilot needs to be less than 1.8m and 80kg for comfort. Max all up weight 650 lbs. Wing span 18.5", area 68.5 sq 'Luggage space is restricted to 2 behind the seat compartments, rather restricted. Flying it is just fun, but you need to be tailwheel current and being a single seater means no dual training available. I had 200 hours in a Thruster before I built and first flew the Corby, with no problems. Forward visibility with the tail on the ground is poor, but the approach is nose down until the flare, so no real problem. There are no flaps but sideslipping is dead easy. Anything you would like to know just ask

• Like 2

There is a Corby Starlet builders group on yahoo forums, they know of almost every starlets history. There was a thread on there a while back discussing a very poorly built and then rebuilt starlet which came on to the market, a real trap for the unwary. I would strongly urge you to ask that group if they know the history of this plane. They will certainly give honest and knowledgable advice which may either save you some money or give you real confidence in the purchase.

Peter

• Like 3

@ yenn, thanks for the info mate.. i easily meet the dimesional reqs. lol. i'm about 5'6-7 and 66kgs. As for the TW wheel endo, that is the thing that is holding me back, as there are no tw aircraft online anywhere around here, and i've never flown one, as much as i want to. The one that i seen in teh add is a VW engine, is your?

@peter. Thanks peter i was not aware of the yahoo group, i've just sent an application off to join it

• Like 1

There was one parked next to our camping spot when Ross and I had our Temora flying adventure... I have found that Corby Pilots are generally (but not always if they are the builder) small and have smirks when they shut down and pull their F18 style helmets off... This one at Temora had enough room for the pilot, and a really light camping setup... Ross and I even borrowed the hammer that lived in its own compartment behind the cowl.

IMAG0331.jpg

The ones I have seen have always looked "rough" to the casual observer... which when I have thought about it is really another testament to the design... they are readily and easily worked upon it seems... are repairable and customizable...

I reckon with a bit of love and attention Brad if the airframe is good you would have the skills and the eye to make something reminiscent of a little fighter.

P.S. My opinion only... but the VW engine does still seem the best basis for any aero conversion. Nothing wrong with that if it is a good one...

Hongie

Mine has the 80hp Jab engine and as noted it goes like a missile. You will definitely need some tailwheel training, but it is not hard to control on the ground, plus in the air they are all very similar. One of the reasons thet Corbys may look rough is because most have Stitts finish, which is not high gloss. They are easy to repair, but the Stitts materials are expensive and not available as far as I know in small quantities.

If you miss out on that one but do get tailwheel endorsement, mine will be up for sale when I finish building my RV4.

I have always liked the Corby Starlet and bought a set of plans off John Corby about six years ago.I had a good yarn to him hes a really nice bloke,unfortunately i'm way to fat for the airframe 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif Hongie it would fit you like a glove .

As Yenn says they certainly have spritely performance ...

jason

• Like 2

• 7 years later...