Cruzer wing build by EAA chapter

fly_tornado

It's an aircraft that's getting there, though. I don't see why a STOL plane has to be particularly draggy. although the wing and tailplane are what they are. It's improving in appearance all the time. More ribs, less oil canning Nev

Only with exotic materials (Expensive) and complex structures.

Steel tube fuselage and fabric covered Hiwing T/W Cheap simple strong build easily calculated loads and load paths. Not everybody wants to be in the Vanguard of design. Hardly any of the planes we fly are robust enough for training for very long. Do we have planes that will do over 5,000 hours of airframe time? Do we have inspection schedules that keep them safe. Do we have covers that permit inspecting all areas that should be regularly looked at? Europe builds sexy looking plastics for rich people. There has to be more practical options for Australia..Nev

GA is more like 1000 to 1500 kg

I would like to see RAA aircraft built stronger with tradition materials not the fantastic plastic stuff. A bit more room inside to make it more comfortable for our larger species here in Australia. Most european aircraft are designed for the smaller people we are larger....could say fatter as well but that still belays that I dont know too many pilots that are 80 kg...most aussies are 90 to 100kg and some bigger like me. 750 kg also give a lot more options for the "smaller" type of aircraft. I dont want to fly cessnas or Pipers but would ne nice for a RV-9 or a Vison or the myriad of other aircraft that you dont have to scrimp on fuel because you dont have enough load capacity for 2 average aussies and 100 odd litres of fuel and about 25kg of luggage...that flying and maint costs are not breaking the bank

Mark

You guys should both go back and have a look at Lightwings.

The one I learnt to fly in (around 30 odd years ago) is still going strong, and was sold to one of the club students at around 4500hrs, about 7 years ago.

It's supposed to be a 480kg model, but I know it'll fly much heavier than that.

I guess we're all being led astray now that we don't call ourselves ultralights, but while we keep pushing for more weight, we're just re-inventing GA again...

600kg is plenty, learn to live with it, or go GA.

Either that or we have to reinvent the ultralight.

• Agree 1

A bit more room inside to make it more comfortable for our larger species here in Australia. Most european aircraft are designed for the smaller people we are larger....could say fatter as well but that still belays that I dont know too many pilots that are 80 kg...most aussies are 90 to 100kg and some bigger like me. 750 kg also give a lot more options for the "smaller" type of aircraft. I dont want to fly cessnas or Pipers but would ne nice for a RV-9 or a Vison or the myriad of other aircraft that you dont have to scrimp on fuel because you dont have enough load capacity for 2 average aussies and 100 odd litres of fuel and about 25kg of luggage...that flying and maint costs are not breaking the bank.Mark

I tend to agree with the MTOW increase but pehaps with the 45 knot stall limit still in place.