Cygnet SF2A

N237F

I just flew NX237F for the first time yesterday for 1 hour after owning it for about 35 days waiting for the weather to clear.

Very good stability with excellent visibility. There are about 100+ of these around the world with about 20 in the US and 13-18 in Australia the remainder are in Europe where the efficiency is appreciated due to the large fuel taxes.

I encourage you to consider building one for yourself.

Why Build the Cygnet | Viking Aircraft

REF

nx237F - YouTube

And Tony's Videos showing off the excellent visibility even while on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilK3Uj4Dxfk

And then you have this adventure!

Yes if you like Rag and Tube Constructions consider building another Cygnet the world will be a batter place for it!

If you own a Cygnet please reach out to me and tell me about it. We will try to organize a flock of Cygnets for the 50th anniversary of the design.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,  I built and still own a Cygnet here in Australia. It first flew in 2000 and had about 750 hours,  nearly all of that with an 1835VW engine with a shrink fit prop hub,  a single vertex magneto and a Bing cv32mm carb removed from a bmw r100 motor bike. The prop i carved myself (58 x 32) and it was a tad smaller than Bert's suggestion to get the rpm over 3000 at my elevation.  Hand start.  My empty weight was 245kg and performance was pretty much as per Bert's, though climb with a full load on a hot day was probably around 200fpm. It now has a Jabiru 2200 and I now cruise at 92kts @ 15lph. Cheers, Mark

Mark

Wow such a light build is commendable. If I build one I will target what you achieved. Mine is heavier than I like but climbs at full gross and 500-600fpm with a 2276CCvw. Full dual ignition and electric start make it comfortable but heavy. Ed Sterba 58x34 prop  The Jab is easy 20-25kg lighter.   I have a impulse mag and Compufire electronic ignition with mechanical advance so hand propping may allow me to loose 8kg.  My cruise is about 90knts at 13lph.  We will be organizing a type fly in at my home airport 02C Wisconsin in September 2018. A bit far to fly but if you are passing trough we will save you a brat.  We will have Viking Aircraft and hopefully 5 other cygnets in the Gaggle. Date TBD.

For those on the list unfamiliar with the Cygnet I attached a illustration of the egress method... ingress is simply the reverse.  Pat Taylor demonstrating in the Sisler prototype.

The view forward is tremendous unlike any tail wheel I have flown. No need for S turns on the ground.

Regards

Matt enjoying NX237F working on a Light Sport Pilot ticket with it when the weather permits.

1963687022_EgressCygnet.gif.5b5062edd2c05547b94a02ce32bb6a00.gif

The mid wing does crate a rather large blind spot from where you have been. One does need to tip a wing to clear an area if any large turns are to be executed with confidence.  The trade off is acceptable for the remarkable view.  A period of calibration to map your memory to visual reference no including your wings is required.  Once done perfectly coordinated turns are super easy only looking out the window.

Every designer makes trade offs.  I like the ones made by Bert Sisler and it does have a hind quarter blind spot with a great view where you are going.

http://vikingaircraft.com/designer/

Visibility is fantastic.  Compared to a Tecnam Bravo,  Jabiru or a low wing, Cessnas etc its just tickety boo. On the ground and in the air the visibility is good.....the nose and dash are low,  so superb fwd and down.  Side windows allow visibility above and under the wings.  Bubble glasshouse means up and to the rear up is good.  Only blind spots are directly down and down towards the rear.  I've never found the shoulder wing an issue.  Checking out landing areas doesn't require a roll like is needed in many low wing aeroplanes, and its not difficult to check for aircraft on finals when taking off (unlike many high wing aeroplanes). 

Handling is very docile; roll is not fast, and the long fuselage means its not twitchy on elevator.  Friese ailerons means you don't need big input on the rudder. No flaps,  but she sideslips super well for glidepath control. Also it has pIsitive stability. ..you can fly hands off and while a thermal may give you a bump,  it settles back down.

Matt, I find your fuel burn at cruise difficult to accept. Do you just divide your added fuel by your Hobbs hours, and therefore include climb,  warm-up and descent?  My numbers are from a calibrated fuel flow meter,  and with the 1835 VW and with two people on board I was getting 16.5 lph @ 75-80kts and rpm say 3100 and this was with egts around 650C, so it wasn't running rich.

Here's a pic of my planes. 

20170627_114955.thumb.jpg.dbf53e6667c8912d4b55493653a6192f.jpg

20180317_152309(1).thumb.jpg.eaeb611bf31a52487b03cddec2031aac.jpg

20170419_103842.thumb.jpg.d0a134451bc5701d67f83837d6e8d4ab.jpg

Mark,

I have yet to verify as I am not yet doing cross country where careful fuel consumption can be monitored the data I have is from a previous owner who fitted the 2276. 

"105 mph on 50 percent power (19.5” MP)"

However I took the stated fuel burn and converted to Liters per hour from US gallons.  My plane started life in Canada so on review the hash marks are actually imperial gallons which converts to ~16lph in good alignment with yours.

I am encourages by your panel layout.  I want to add a steam gauge altimeter to mine and lay it out again with the fuel down the center of the panel. My future appears to be similar your current layout.

Early in the training more focused on landings and slow flight so fuel consumption will be minimal.  We have however established minim sink speeds and best glide speeds.  The plane is well suited for newer pilots. I am currently working to unlearn my J3 cub rudder habits from 1987.

I like to fly in full trim the control harmony is remarkable as is the view. Once trimmed it flies hands off if desired.  I bought it for the view but the economical consumption factors and the mild flight characteristics are quite a bonus.  I am surprised there are only ~120ish around the world.

Regards

Matt

499637883_FuturelayoutforNX237F.JPG.2b75fe27fcfa804b50757414e7ac1788.JPG

2071207492_MGSZIGPANEL.thumb.JPG.58b76d5de9ea08fc844226f9780160a5.JPG

429687348_NX237OfficialPhoto.thumb.JPG.05a319527cabd8ad789aa7e56c904899.JPG

04201018.thumb.JPG.4316323f43213c9a1c2b9f0bc5853433.JPG

• 1 year later...
Now THAT"S a slip indicator.. Nev

LOL it came with the plane. Currently stuck on with double sided tape if I add a turn and bank or horizon to get out of unexpected clouds I will need to find a smaller one.

Just flew today and realize even with a good looking panel my eyes are outside 95% of the time. The big red pilot light in my view will get my attention if engine limits are approaching.

Matt

Visibility is fantastic. Compared to a Tecnam Bravo, Jabiru or a low wing, Cessnas etc its just tickety boo. On the ground and in the air the visibility is good.....the nose and dash are low, so superb fwd and down. Side windows allow visibility above and under the wings. Bubble glasshouse means up and to the rear up is good. Only blind spots are directly down and down towards the rear. I've never found the shoulder wing an issue. Checking out landing areas doesn't require a roll like is needed in many low wing aeroplanes, and its not difficult to check for aircraft on finals when taking off (unlike many high wing aeroplanes).

Handling is very docile; roll is not fast, and the long fuselage means its not twitchy on elevator. Friese ailerons means you don't need big input on the rudder. No flaps, but she sideslips super well for glidepath control. Also it has pIsitive stability. ..you can fly hands off and while a thermal may give you a bump, it settles back down.

Matt, I find your fuel burn at cruise difficult to accept. Do you just divide your added fuel by your Hobbs hours, and therefore include climb, warm-up and descent? My numbers are from a calibrated fuel flow meter, and with the 1835 VW and with two people on board I was getting 16.5 lph @ 75-80kts and rpm say 3100 and this was with egts around 650C, so it wasn't running rich.

Here's a pic of my planes.

[ATTACH alt=20170627_114955.jpg]34765[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH alt=20180317_152309(1).jpg]34764[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH alt=20170419_103842.jpg]34766[/ATTACH]

Mark, How do you like the AHRS unit on the MGL?

• 2 months later...