De Havilland DH 4 crash 2 May 2020

At Bowling Green airport Warren County Kentucky USA on 2 May. Pilot Dorian Walker is said to be ok but the aircraft is badly damaged. The last flyer. Said to have landed short with a control issue. Aircraft is US model of the DH4.

I t's rebuildable. AS said, it's unusual to have a liberty engined plane flying.. Qantas were a certified manufacturer of DeHav planes at Charleville. There's a Giant Moth project out the back if you sneak around there. Nev

What a shame that the only flying example has been wrecked - but it's good to hear the pilot is O.K. There's going to be some serious amount of work involved in rebuilding the aircraft.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/05/de-havilland-dh-4-n32517-accident_3.html

Would those tyre marks indicate a gust of wind and weathercock just on or after touchdown?

What a shame that the only flying example has been wrecked - but it's good to hear the pilot is O.K. There's going to be some serious amount of work involved in rebuilding the aircraft.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/05/de-havilland-dh-4-n32517-accident_3.html

Would those tyre marks indicate a gust of wind and weathercock just on or after touchdown?

I don't think there's enough evidence available in the few photos on the Kathryns Report website to be able to determine what went wrong.

The pilot simply reported "control issues", and I read that as something went wrong with the control mechanisms - as one could reasonably expect in a vintage aeroplane. Perhaps it was a maintenance error issue.

Happens with stuff often completely rebuilt. I had a failure of the elevator in a rebuilt DH 82 at Kyneton, where it developed about 4 inches of fore and aft play of the joystick and I was very relieved when I managed to land it OK, which was not ever really assured. I had a mate working for CASA on board too so he didn't get the flight he'd hoped for. We were going to do a few aeros, but this happened first, perhaps fortunately. Nev

• Informative 1

It's quite an experience having "Control issues", you don't know how you will handle it when things turn to poo. Trying to think clearly how to fix/overcome the problem/issue while also trying exclude all other thoughts is harder than you might think.

Sorry the little icon on the screen ran for a couple of minutes indicating a failure but it was lying.

SOK Turbo, just show's you human after all :oh yeah:

It's quite an experience having "Control issues", you don't know how you will handle it when things turn to poo. Trying to think clearly how to fix/overcome the problem/issue while also trying exclude all other thoughts is harder than you might think.

Yes, as soon as you have to think you have to overcome that disconnect with the this can't be ahppening to me.

I was racing one night, and out of the corner of my eye I noticed my right rear wheel coming forward trying to pass me. I lifted off and it went back, put my foot down and it crept forward again, lifted off and it went back. Then with a shock I realised the radius rod had broken and I was about to be thrown sky-high, having lost at least three seconds mesmerised and doing nothing.

SP, a "bomb scare" is probably the most nerve racking thing I've had. You don't have enough to do and too much time to think. I can recall getting very angry as I wasn't sure I was getting it straight from the "Powers" . Gezz, it's full on, confessionals now isn't it? Must be the Virus effect. I've had a couple of Mates get Hijacked and that wasn't fun for them. Nev

Edited by facthunter