DIY Emergency hose clamp tool

Man, I'd like that old gal for a workshop helper! Not only is she smooth and knowledgeable with her sales pitch, she is equally competent and deft with her use of the clamp tool!!

The only thing I can imagine that would detract from its use, is that 9 times out of 10, the position where the clamp is required, is inaccessible, has limited room to manipulate any tool on the hose/pipe - and is usually on the underside of everything, entailing jacking up the equipment, or rolling in the dirt, to fit the clamp!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The only thing I can imagine that would detract from its use, is that 9 times out of 10, the position where the clamp is required, is inaccessible, has limited room to manipulate any tool on the hose/pipe - and is usually on the underside of everything, entailing jacking up the equipment, or rolling in the dirt, to fit the clamp!

I have one of them sitting on my shadow board - been there for 20 years; I just buy new clamps.

I found it takes a lot of skill to use with anything other than stainless steel wire; a fraction of a turn this way and the wire snaps, a fraction of a turn that way and the hose blows off. You just get the skill perfected and either don't need it for 12 months by which time you've forgotten the touch and have to learn all over again, or you need to wind a different weight wire.

It has the access problems you mentioned.

However; I can see it being an excellent tool in a production line situation.

Yeh, I have one as well. Never been really used.  Works great in a demo, but useless on an aircraft due to room to swing it. Must be thousands of them unused in workshops, after getting hooked on a demo at an airshow or country fair. Just carry a couple of spare Triton hose clamps, excellent quality.

• Agree 2

Must be thousands of them unused in workshops, after getting hooked on a demo at an airshow or country fair. Just carry a couple of spare Triton hose clamps, excellent quality.

I made one at high school,  we made the components as an introduction to the the metal lathe. I've never used it.

Looks like it's useless for aircraft, cars and boats, but could be useful for the garden hose.

That's what I thought, makes beautiful looking clamps with tie wire, but gal wire snaps before you can get the tension tight enough to stop the hose leaking, so there's nothing for it except buying several rolls of stainless steel wire, which does work well, once you've praticed how many screws to get that exact tension needed.   Costs less to keep a tin of stainless steel worm drive clamps.

• Like 1

On low pressure lines where limited access/clearance makes a conventional hose clamp difficult/impossible to use - I just use conventional aviation security wire  & the twister but with two turns around the hose before twisting - works a treat. Not my idea , has been around in bush/agriculture mechanics for generations.

Some of the good  worm drive clips have a hex as well as a slot so if you have a very small ring spanner you can get in almost anywhere or use a universal jointed socket with 1/4 square drive to keep everything small.. The threaded hydraulic type should work as well  if the pressures are higher. You shouldn't just rely on the clip. It should incorporate a  strip or tab going to the place the pipe connects to . Nev

• Like 1